Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting way that people excuse their overweight / obesity

Replies

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    I don't think it's really an "excuse" all the time. When you get down to the last 5-10 pounds it gets harder to lose weight, or people plateau at a specific point and they think that they just can't lose the weight. It kind of makes sense to believe that your body isn't meant to go below a certain weight if you try and try to lose weight but it doesn't happen. Obviously it's not true, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're trying to come up with excuses to not do it, although I agree that SOME people are but not all.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I'm kind of interested in the way people explain their behavior. One example is pertinent to weight loss / diet. I was having a debate with my girlfriend about this, who was arguing what basically sounded like the set-point theory to me. The argument went something like this:

Me: "I think anyone can lose weight, it's just a matter of CICO."

Her: "Except that people's bodies naturally have a certain preference for a certain weight. You can force your body down to a particular weight, but then your body will want to go back to the weight it was at."

Anyone notice anything strange about this kind of use of language? As if "you" are separate from "your body." How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it? Isn't this a strange use of language, like we're somehow divorced from our bodies?

Anyways, just a philosophical point really.

What about all the people that don't count calories, weigh, measure their food, eat whatever portions're available to them & stay a consistent weight? All 4 years of high school I weighed 137 pounds, when I got weighed; during my check ups, I was sedentary & consuming 4,000 to 6,000 calories a day. I ate for taste & because it was there. I'd eat until I had to unbutton/unzip my pants, could feel the food coming up my throat & never gained weight. I'd eat a meal consisting of a salad with extra dressing, an appetizer, a main portion, 2 sides an iced tea or soda (sometimes 2) a milkshake plus a slice of cake & get the same amount of food to go (minus the iced tea and/or soda) because a 5 minute car ride home, made me half as hungry again.

Very interesting, we all know people like this dont we? Seems like sooner or later the food does catch up to most of them though. Btw, ur post made me long for those days haha, great now lm hungry
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it?

You mean like to pee? Or the urge to breathe?

It's a result of evolution.

Pressure in the bladder or the sensation of air hunger isn't the "body wanting something" - which implies that our bodies have intentionality outside of our own as sentient beings. Which is a really odd duality - "you" can want something but your "body" can want something else (as if your body is somehow separate from you).

Okay I just gotta point out this is is a cop out. you are arguing language semantics. you know what they meant.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    See "starvation mode isn't real" and I'm going to nope on out of here. Hormonal imbalances don't exist, science doesn't exist, only the studies that back up what you specifically believe, right. There is no medication that drastically speeds up or slows down your metablosim /s
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    See "starvation mode isn't real" and I'm going to nope on out of here. Hormonal imbalances don't exist, science doesn't exist, only the studies that back up what you specifically believe, right. There is no medication that drastically speeds up or slows down your metablosim /s

You seem to only believe studies that back up what you believe too. Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it does otherwise anorexics would be obese. Yes your metabolism slows down but not enough to counteract the weight lose. There are very few medications that "drastically" slow down your metabolism. A lot of the time they increase appetite so you eat more. I don't see you linking to any studies
  • DisruptedMatrix
    edited October 2016

You seem to only believe studies that back up what you believe too. Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it does otherwise anorexics would be obese. Yes your metabolism slows down but not enough to counteract the weight lose. There are very few medications that "drastically" slow down your metabolism. A lot of the time they increase appetite so you eat more. I don't see you linking to any studies
    "Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it"

your assuming I believe misinformation. I don't believe that starvation mode causes you to gain weight, but that it makes losing weight harder. your metabolsim slows down, that's it.

There are a lot of medications that effect metabolism, but it would be impossible to provide a source for this without spending hours copying and pasting different medications, which I'm not going to do.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I didn't say medication doesn't effect metabolism. I said few medications "drastically" change metabolism.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

"Starvation mode doesn't exist as you believe it"

your assuming I believe misinformation. I don't believe that starvation mode causes you to gain weight, but that it makes losing weight harder. your metabolsim slows down, that's it.

There are a lot of medications that effect metabolism, but it would be impossible to provide a source for this without spending hours copying and pasting different medications, which I'm not going to do.

None of these things have very significant impacts, though.

Weight gain caused by any of them, with caloric intake being what it should, would be minimal. The people usually blaming medication for metabolic slow down or metabolic adaptation are obese, not carrying around an extra 10 or 20 pounds.

That was painful to type, because metabolic adaptation is debated to begin with because it was found that the people supposedly stalled were... quelle surprise!... eating (binging really) food and not logging it.

For people who have been dieting a long time who have hormonal issues, simply eating at maintenance for a bit and perhaps moving a tiny bit more counters any difficulties.

In none of these instances is weight gain experienced.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Her answer is right and maintaining weight will be a life long effort
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned!

of course you are. the cemeteries are full of obese skeletons!

Big Boned!!! bs..
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    I read once about a study: that an adults fat cell count and size is determined by a blueprint set during puberty. Your shape, fat cell count, and BMI are all set at an "ideal" when you go through puberty, and throughout your adult life, your body will always try to go back to that preset. This is why you can destroy fat cells with surgery, but they will grow back to what your body considers idyllic.

My last endocrinologist (who I see for my Hashimoto's disease, along with 3 other autoimmune diseases) consulted with my nutritionist, and they both said "you are doing everything right, we can't ask you to go below 1,100 calories, your body just wants you to be overweight. It's okay, because you're healthy, but your body just doesn't want you to lose weight, so if you want to, you'll have work much harder than others have to"

I fired that endo. CICO works for me for basic weight loss. I was extremely, heartbroken this year, distressed and in a daze for months, and didn't eat much more than 500 calories a day (usually in the form of a McD sandwich and a pack of cigarettes). No starvation mode here: I lost 30lbs in 6 weeks.

To the OP: I have many "reasons" for my weight. Hashimoto's disease, genetics (my family is all obese), my parents feeding me ramen and candy apples and pizza every day while not encouraging exercise. And of course: my own lifestyle choices; choosing to sleep 20 more minutes instead of jog, eating leftover Halloween candy instead of pawning it off on others, drinking that diet coke instead of more water. It's a big mixed bag for me. I hold a lot of resentment toward my parents for how they raised me: I was 180lbs and a women's size 18 by age 12. I was over 100lbs at age 7, and I haven't been below 200lbs since I was 13.

But as an adult, I just try my best, no matter who I was yesterday, I WILL be better every single new day, and if I mess up I own up to it.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    shredcamps wrote: »

Big Boned!!! bs..

My nutritionist said I was big boned!! No lie, she measured my wrist bones and said it's a thing and that I'm big boned!! But she did say it doesn't affect your weight as much as people want it to LOL
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    shredcamps wrote: »

Big Boned!!! bs..

My nutritionist said I was big boned!! No lie, she measured my wrist bones and said it's a thing and that I'm big boned!! But she did say it doesn't affect your weight as much as people want it to LOL

as i said. no fat skeletons. your Nutritionist is an idiot.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Call it an excuse if you want (technically I guess it is) but I was uneducated about HOW to keep the weight loss off.

I can diet like no ones business but once I lost the weight I thought all I had to do was eat less than my regular eating habit. HOW much less I had no clue, I missed that chapter in the books.

Therefore I gave up, for a while.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    LINIA wrote: »

And a POV is all it is. And a flawed, biased one at that. It was not a "study", it was a survey, which was funded by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. It's nothing more than typical clickbait junk.