Anybody ever get heckled while running or biking?

Replies

• Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    I find generally when I run most people are supportive, maybe i just look soo slow and pathetic, lol. But I have had stuff thrown over me before while out cycling
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    I'm sorry that happened to you, people are jerks! When it happens to me, I stay positive and remember that whilst I'm out on a run to improve myself and my life, they are obviously so unhappy with their own life they have to pick at mine! Someone who is happy with themselves doesn't heckle someone else!
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    Avoided it so far but probably because my dog can look quite intimidatingly athletic lol (she's a total sweetie). Sorry this happened to you!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Never, but if there is some type of small, unleashed, yippy dog in my neighborhood it is inevitable that I will get chased.

I hate dogs.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Yes, but I can't ever hear them so I assume they're telling me how rad my bike and I are.

I get "coal-rolled" a lot. Anyone who does this is a real piece of shizt in my book.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    edited July 2016
    not so much that as stared at or seeing cars ominously park near where I am running and just stare. So I don't go alone to the park anymore. People make me sick. I would actually prefer if they made fun of me, but I'm not "real big" so I don't get that type of attention, but it's probably better.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Not really around where I live because EVERYONE goes outside to run/walk/bike etc. in the summer months. But it's also partly because I almost always use the bike path by my house and there are no cars. But the few times I've been on or near the road I have not noticed anything. Prob because it's the area - seems like everyone is into fitness.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Yes, but I can't ever hear them so I assume they're telling me how rad my bike and I are.

I get "coal-rolled" a lot. Anyone who does this is a real piece of shizt in my book.

I had to look that up! When my son was an infant I was out walking him in the stroller and someone went by and backfired their truck right when they got to us. Scared us both to death.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Ignore the ignorant, that is all you can do. It isn't just teens that do this. Adults should know better, but some people never mature.
    You know you are doing what is right for you. Remember, there are legions of us out there, with what society views as "imperfect" bodies, moving more to get ourselves healthier. Try not to let the insensitive, immature, people's comments get you down.
  • Bemix
    Bemix Posts: 54 Member
    I got heckled while biking on my first group ride. I wouldn't have cared nearly as much but the heckler was the most run down lookin' old lady I'd ever seen. Haha! I just pushed on and the guys riding with me commented that people really show their intelligence sitting on the side of the road. ;)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Happened to me today when I was out on my bike for a long ride. It's really frustrating that people have to be such a-holes. Sounded like a carload of teens. I shouldn't have let it bother me but it makes me feel like crap that people have to be that way especially when I'm trying to do something good for me.

What exactly did they say? How do you know they weren't cheering or just talking about something else?
  • GetFitNowKrystal
    GetFitNowKrystal Posts: 71 Member
    I'm not sure. I always have my headphones on and listening to music when I go out for my run.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Yes, but don't let it bother you. Turn up your headphones and keep doing what you're doing. I try to stay on paths/trails rather than roads because I know everyone driving is looking at my jiggly butt, but jiggling + results.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Parents are not instilling the right values in children nowadays.

LOL, the worst crap I get when I run is from middle-aged men. It's not a "kids these days" issue, I promise.
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    I've been running on and off now for about four years and thankfully either I'm not being heckled or I'm so in my own world that I don't even notice. I always think of that saying - something like "no matter how slow I'm going, I'm going faster than the people sat on the couch". Puts a smile on my face every time just thinking how every step is taking me closer to my goal
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    The only time I tend to say, or do anything to said riders/runners (other than give them as much room as possible) is when they are being total *kitten*, riding in the center of the lane (making it impossible to safely pass them on two-lane roads).

ETA: Don't do this. It makes people angry. Angry people are prone to doing stupid things. They are in something that weighs 20x what you and your bike do. That, plus angry and stupid, could equal runner/rider dead.

Cyclists have as much right to the road as vehicles do. Saying "Don't do this because someone who is impatient might hurt you" is absolutely ridiculous. That's blaming the victim for the aggressor's violence. Sometimes, if you're riding on the edge of the lane, people won't even acknowledge that you're there. I ride as close to the shoulder as I can so people have plenty of room to pass, but sometimes the shoulder is gnarly or there just isn't room for someone to pass without running me off the road but I know they will try if I'm not riding dead center down the lane, so I'll ride down the center until there's room. Had this same problem when I had a motorized scooter that went up to 55 mph. If I didn't ride down the middle of the lane people would run me off the road to pass me when there wasn't room, as if I weren't even there--even when I was going 45-50 mph.

I get annoyed at slow bicyclists when I've driving too, but they have just as much right to be there as I do, and I have to respect that.

Depending on the county/state, here in California it is permissible when conditions warrants (CA Vehicle Code 21202. (a) (3)). I do agree it's pretty inconsiderate to hog the road when there's no need (especially as I pass them). I normally ride 1 to 1.5 feet left of the fog line when a bike line is not designated. While in the bike line, I tend to stay as close to the fog line. This give me enough room to move over in a pinch and increases my viability.

Been lucky and haven't had anything throw at me. Only a handful as for heckling (I normal can't hear the exact words or don't care to) and honking. I normally just wave back at them and it seem to defuse the situation. I must have an intimidating look or calming effect (take your pick) as the few time when my party got into it, it dies down immediately when I pull up. Odd, it never happens when I'm driving.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Do your thing, and be safe! When I get honked at or yowled at, I assume it's a compliment, and wave sweetly.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I get cat-called and honked at basically every day that I run because our town is full of really classy individuals. A few days ago as I was rounding the corner to our house and some guy starts howling at me like a dog (because obviously that's how you approach women amiright?) with my husband obviously standing right there...seriously. Keep on keeping on OP, you're doing great!