Coffee help

Options
2»

Replies

• ccyha1
    ccyha1 Posts: 26
    Options
    You me both love coffee with everything else in it. My question is do you love coffee or Is it the coffee, creamer, and sweet taste that you like? For example, I drink coffee for the caffein but love the sugar and cream for the taste. If you love coffee just go with it and sugar substitutes, Forget about finding a solution to the creamer. The creamers are way too high in calories regardless. Every now and then I will go back on for a treat. Keep your weight goal in mind and sacrifice doing without sometimes.

It is totally the taste I like so most of the time I am doing without but when I do want it I want the whole shebang. I only have one cup at a time so maybe the reality of it is I should just use it as a treat, be careful how I prepare it and account for the calories in another way.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Splenda and unsweeted soy milk.

Exactly what I was going to suggest =].
    Also do a french vanilla coffee bean, then I've added cinnamon to it. Tastes SO good. =]
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I know Starbucks is expensive, but their skinny cinnamon dolce latte(tall) is really good and it only has 90 calories. I actually have recently stopped getting them because it was costing me about $26 a week just for coffee, so now I make Folger's at home and I use International delight skinny(fat free) caramel macchiato creamer. It is not sugar free, but I measure 3 tbs into a 12oz cup of coffee for about 100 calories altogether.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    skim or light soy with cinnamon not sweet but gives it a different taste that I love.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    BTW, shame on your parents for giving a 6 year old coffee. Was it at least decaf?
  • Katie3784
    Options
    Instead of using the creamers to flavor it, have you tried the syrups? I buy the SF Vanilla syrups from Starbucks. I make a homemade iced Caramel Machiatto that is only 130 cals for a 24 oz (Venti). I use the SF Vanilla syrup, Via instant from Sbux and Skim milk and caramel drizzle. it is awesome and tastes very much like their CM. I have also used the SF Caramel syrup. Torani makes SF syrups also. You can get your coffee a lot sweeter this way vs creamers with a lot less calories.

Now granted, 130 cal may still seem like a lot to some people, but compared to the 270 from Sbux it's an improvement. and you can cut those calories way down if you don't use the caramel drizzle, as that adds about 70-80 cals. But I likee my caramel, so I add it to mine. ;)
    You can buy syrup at starbucks?!! I'm gonna get a cheap latte machine and make skinny cinnamon dolce lattes!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I use about 1/4 cup of skim milk and splenda. Good coffee makes a big difference too. At my old job they served Foogers and yeah, I HAD to have flavored creamer for that crap. Also, as I was transitioning from the flavored stuff to milk, I tried all natural half and half. I could use less and still get the desired amount of creaminess and it ended up less calories and sugar.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've worked at a coffee house for about 2 and a half years, and we get some CRAZY requests for what to put into coffee - including (and not limited to!) an order for about half coffee, half heavy whipping cream, and 7 spenda!!!!!

I totally get where you're coming from that black coffee is NOT very tasty, especially when you're used to something much more delicious.

I suggest slowly going from what you're used to to different things - if you're used to cream, try whole milk for a while. Then switch from two sugars to one sugar and one truvia. Then bump down the milk again to 2%, and once you're used to that, two truvias or maybe only the one and no sugar. Already it's SO many less calories!!

The way I take my coffee is with cream and honey - a 12oz cup with the amount I like is about 70calories and totally worth it.

Also congrats on kicking the DP! That's a hard habit to stop.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Instead of using the creamers to flavor it, have you tried the syrups? I buy the SF Vanilla syrups from Starbucks. I make a homemade iced Caramel Machiatto that is only 130 cals for a 24 oz (Venti). I use the SF Vanilla syrup, Via instant from Sbux and Skim milk and caramel drizzle. it is awesome and tastes very much like their CM. I have also used the SF Caramel syrup. Torani makes SF syrups also. You can get your coffee a lot sweeter this way vs creamers with a lot less calories.

Now granted, 130 cal may still seem like a lot to some people, but compared to the 270 from Sbux it's an improvement. and you can cut those calories way down if you don't use the caramel drizzle, as that adds about 70-80 cals. But I likee my caramel, so I add it to mine. ;)
    You can buy syrup at starbucks?!! I'm gonna get a cheap latte machine and make skinny cinnamon dolce lattes!

Yep, I have only run into a couple stores that said they couldn't sell me a bottle of syrup, and that was just bc they were low on inventory.
  • philandrachel
    Options
    4 ideal sweetener packets
    2 TBSP sugar free french vanilla creamer {powder}
    2 TBSP sugar free vanilla syrup
    54 cals a cup... and man is it delicious! :)
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I stopped coffee and went to green tea. It took a week but I got used to it. Still have occasional coffee/milk/sugar cravings but ignore them
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have two lattes at home every morning, but I just use the regular Starbucks Verona coffee put through the espresso machine. Verona is a dark, sweet coffee that almost tastes like there's chocolate in it.

I use 10 oz of skim milk per latte and add some artificial sweetener.

I have a little Krups machine that I've had for at least ten years and cost less than $90 when I bought it. I think they run about $50 now.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk creamer. Very low calorie!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm friends on here with a girl who adds coconut oil to her coffee!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia sweetener. I either use non-diary creamers or soy milk or coconut milk. :drinker:

To reduce my dependence on really sweet coffee, I've slowly reduced how many packets of sweetener I use. Basically, I used one less packet for a week at a time until I got to my current level (still too much, but, eh. :laugh: )
  • descooley
    descooley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BTW, shame on your parents for giving a 6 year old coffee. Was it at least decaf?

It was mostly milk and a little cream, actually very little coffee in it but she is obsessed with the smell now and thinks she is a big girl drinking coffee. I was doing decaf when I was pregnant with her sister so she drank that but yes, my parents are nuts for giving her coffee. Ugh!
  • descooley
    descooley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    nice - double post