Under Eating

Options
Hi there!

Recently I have been trying to watch what I eat, but in doing that I seem to be eating much less. For the past few days I haven't even broken 1000 calories. And no I am NOT trying to starve myself, I simply feel no urge to eat any more than I already have. I'm not sure if this is unhealthy, being that I feel full for most of the day after my meals. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    In the long run it is very unhealthy which is why mfp set the minimum to 1200 calories. Add more high calorie foods to your day like peanut butter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    In the long run it is very unhealthy which is why mfp set the minimum to 1200 calories. Add more high calorie foods to your day like peanut butter.

This^

1200 is the default minimum for women (before exercise). It's a one-size-fits-all. If you are very petite, or elderly then 1,100 or 1,200 (net) is not such a big deal.

Look for calorie dense options.....nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy. Just being full is not enough. Some people stay full on lots of high volume (low nutrient) veggies.....these aren't doing enough to support bodily functions & existing lean muscle mass.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Switch to higher calorie foods if needed... or foods that are calorie dense for not a lot of food.

Swap out fat free or reduced calorie for full fat/full calorie versions. Have a glass of juice or pop. Have a handful of nuts or a scoop or two of peanut butter. There are many ways to up your calories without adding much food.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Before you just start adding higher calorie food into your day, do you know for sure that's how many calories you're eating? Do you weigh, measure and log accurately? That's generally the first step to check. Your response to that will help with further suggestions.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    How long have you been feeling like that?
    I sometimes have periods (a few days) of low appetite (eg just before I come down with something, or if I am really stressed)
    I just try and make sure I eat well and have lots of variety, but don't worry too much about it in the short term. When I am feeling better I tend to make up for it and figure it all averages out.