Best lifestyle change

Replies

• helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Sugar free most of the time. And I stay away from foods I'm allergic too (happens to include wheat and diary - lactose intolerant)

I feel great!

I honestly believe in the blood type diet too. When I eat according to that my skin just GLOWS! Love it! And pounds drop off. One cool thing about the blood type diet is that it suggests foods that make you gain weight (to avoid) according to your blood type, and foods that help you lose weight. I know a lot of people are probably skeptical, but it's worked great for me on my food journey :)
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    edited July 2016
    What is the better diet lifestyle change for you? Dairy free? Sugar free? Carb free? Or something else? Go!

I strongly concur with what other members have posted. There is no rocket science to it. Don't give up any type of food unless you do it for ethical / religious reasons. As far as your day-to-day diet is concerned, your body needs (1) everything and (2) a certain number of calories depending on your BMR.
    We get fat / obese usually because we do not comply with these rules. If you want to lose weight, you just need to eat fewer calories than what you burn (the CICO rule!), and that's pretty much it.

And if your diet makes you really hungry, then something's wrong.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What is the better diet lifestyle change for you? Dairy free? Sugar free? Carb free? Or something else? Go!

Hell no - arbitrary and unnecessary restriction is counter productive.

I gave up eating too much.

• JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    The best "healthy"changes are the ones you will actually do and stick to. It is the small consistent changes that make the largest impact.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    The best lifestyle change is the one you sustain.

So for me I cut out nothing, I'm not going to do it for life so why do it now. So just tracking and being as consistent as possible with my calorie goal.

And refinding my love of exercise, I can't wait to see what's hiding under this last layer of fat!
  • rachel29hart
    rachel29hart Posts: 23 Member
    I haven't yet lost a whole lot, but I can already see the effects of more exercise. My usual process if I get anxious or bored would be to eat everything in sight. This past weekend I challenged myself and worked out every time I wanted to eat but wasn't hungry. It was incredible! I pushed myself more than I have since I was an athlete in high school. I my muscles are sore again, which is a feeling I love. So, I haven't made the true lifestyle change yet, but if I can keep up replacing emotional eating with even the tiniest amount of exercise, then I will feel truly confident that I can do anything.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't like changing my lifestyle. I feel attempting to completely overhaul my eating style would not be something that I could realistically do permanently. My best lifestyle change is that I stopped trying to change my lifestyle and learned how to tweak it here and there to fit my goals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Low carb high fat. It improved my health and my appetite.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    For me, it was finding and logging my daily BMR, then setting my daily calorie budget at BMR +20% (i.e., at the "sedentary" level), then exercising two hours a day (cardio, weights, and stretching). Using FitBit and MFP to consistently measure and log calories out and calories in. Doing this since January 1 of this year I have lost 42 pounds as of today (started at 262). In sum: being very consistent on burning more calories than I eat each day.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    I thought about what made me fat (emotional eating in response to divorce and the loss of 10 family members in six years). Specifically it was Pepsi, pizza, hamburgers, sour cream and onion soup dip and chips, and chocolate, or carbs. I ate my way into diabetes and duh! I just stopped stuffing my face with these and eating as an anesthesia from pain and found other things to do like cooking, going to festivals, book reading, dog parking, exercising, etc. Also I eat first to maximize strength on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's GBOMBS diet (bitter greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds). I lost 24 pounds this year, and went from 4 upper respiratory infections a year to 1 and didn't even miss work.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Things I can stick with for life. That means no cutting out food groups, or pizza, burgers, beer/wine/cocktails, desserts, etc. It took some trial and error, but I've found what works for me - eating as MANY calories as I can while still losing and/or maintaining my weight. Doing so I've dropped 25lbs, reached goal weight, but more importantly - dropped fat and inches and have kept it all off for around 4 years now.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Realising leaving food on the plate is OK. I don't have to eat it all.

CICO, good fat is OK to eat, anything can be eaten in moderation.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2016
    If I had to pick one thing, it'd definitely be lifting weights! Discovering that passion and seeing results like I'd never seen before.. it sparked an interest in nutrition and in, well, nourishing my body instead of depriving it. Before now I'd never really thought about it in this light, but lifting is definitely what started this lifestyle change for me!
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Best change was learning how to count calories, serving sizes, and macros. I was surprised at how much I was eating (even though it didn't feel like a lot). I've sustained -35lbs for the last year and a half. Another change was learning how to jog properly. I enjoy it and I can almost say I'm addicted to it.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    The best change for me was realizing that it wasn't "all or nothing". I can make mistakes and not give up

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Buying a food scale and using it to track my food intake on MFP.

Oh and letting myself everything I want as long as it doesn't go over my cals for the day.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Immersing myself in what a proper portion size is. MFP helped with that. Now I just have to keep it up!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Learning to eat in moderation: it has helped smooth out the yo-yo'ing of my weight loss.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    I reduced sugar and carbs... increased vegetable varieties, and protein. and have added a whole lot of exercise (7 days/week)... steady state cardio,and weights 4x/week and HIIT 3x/week... along with trying to average 10K steps/day. Only a couple years ago I didn't think it was possible to find the time to get 1/2 that much exercise in. To get to this point, my only sacrifice has been sitting in front of the TV (even when there was nothing worth watching).
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    I got addicted to distance running. Now I choose the foods and amounts necessary to sustain my running. I stopped drinking soda on a regular basis (now very rare) because it was negatively impacting my running. I tend to eat a lot of carbs and protein because they fuel my running/recovery.