Anyone doing low carbs?

Options
I really want to reduce the amount of carbs I eat everyday. Everyone has their own reasons but for me, I feel like it's slowing down my progress. My only problem is I love bread. I can always grab a sandwich when I'm not too sure of what I should eat. I'm thinking of trying those flat out breads. Any suggestions on how I can reduce my carbs? I'm looking to reduce it to under 50g a day.

Replies

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar, bread (grains), rice, pasta and potatoes. Haven't eaten any of those for seven weeks. My favorite food of all time is a sandwich, so I hear you. It hasn't been as tough as I imagined because I feel so great...it's been 100% worth it. If you have to have sandwiches, eat them open face and you've cut your carbs in half. Or use low carb wraps. Really its about planning. The only way to be successful on a low carb diet is to have food that you can eat available and research some good recipes.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb anymore (I enjoy cardio too much and I found low carb diets left me feeling sluggish) but until recently I did low carb for years. One of the tough things about easing up on carbs is limiting your fruit intake. Even an apple can have about 22 g of carbs - maybe more. Have high-protein snacks handy like hardboiled eggs, Greek yogurt, cheese, legumes, nuts, chicken breast and fish.

You could go to IIFYM.com and calculate your macros based on your low-carb specifications. They will tell you how many grams of each macronutrient you should have (protein, fat and carbs) and then you can enter those amounts into your MFP goals to help monitor your intake.

While I personally am no longer pro low-carb, everyone is different. Best of luck!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Id say Eating bread thin or not and including everything else during the day you won't hit your carb goal of under 50g the thins have around 20g carb each. Most people doing low carb don't use the substitutes either as they want to avoid any inflamation caused by grains.
  • thin2win777
    thin2win777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do!
    I eat zero added sugar and also *only* get my carbs from those natural in veg or nuts. And some dairy. (<<I have to live this way, so I think it actually makes it easier).

Eating zero of: grains, rice, fruits, starch and other types of veg, any level of sugar or preservative, etc., I *still* average ~50 daily carbs. I've learned to love it, however, because I can eat in great bulk this way; I'm a quantity>quality kinda person, so saving a few hundred per day in sandwiches (or even wraps) allows me to consume pounds more of food (without exaggeration). Point is, try it -- it can be fun!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do usually but for me "low" is more like under 100 g a day. And I only do it because I tend to rely on carbs when I should be getting more protein. It teaches me to focus on what I'm eating.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm a very low carb eater. I just use romaine lettuce instead of bread for sandwiches. It's worked great for me. I've never felt better.
  • NomaElephant
    NomaElephant Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yess. I haven't had bread in 5 months and have never felt better. I'm less hungry and more energised. Low carb can be rewarding for many people. Not everyone however.
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bread was the first thing i threw out 7 weeks ago, i substitute 2 roasted portabello mushrooms for a bread bun when i fancied a burger, i couldn't tell the difference! but bread is a no-no in low carb diets, along with pasta, rice and potatoes, there are several alternatives out there.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i do not eat bread, but am an everyday hot yogi, i do eat fruit sparingly in protein shakes. i only eat 1 after exercising. try to stay around a 100g. a day. i have discovered heaven. greek yogurt frozen bars "YASSO". I AM IN LOVE W/ SEA SALT CARAMEL...100 CALORIES, 5 PROTEIN, AND 20 CARBS. ALL FLAVORS, FOUND AT TARGET, WALMART, WHOLE FOODS...... LOOK AT THEIR WEBSITE TO FIND A STORE TO YOU. NO I DON'T WORK FOR THEM, JUST SUCH A WONDERFUL HEALTHY TREAT W/OUT OUTRAGEOUS NUMBERS. TRY THEM AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU LIKE. MINT CHOC CHIP, COOKIES AND CREAM, STRAWBERRY, PEANUT BUTTER CUP, COFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP AND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH. SORRY, BIT OFF TOPIC BUT OH SO GOOD. PERFECT FOR HPT DAY WORKOUTS!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I also suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's a great resource for what you are trying to do:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I do low carb, try for 50-100g per day but the last week or two noticed I am below 50g per day. I have pcos so this works well for me. I have been trying a lot of new recipes with a lot of success to keep from getting bored. My diary is open.
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes. And it's working for me. Although I'm slowly getting into macros.