Fitness tracker choices

Please kindly tell me which tracker you use, why you use it, what you like about it and what you don't like about it. Thank you.

Replies

• grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    Map My Walk or Map My Fitness. I set it up to sync with MFP.
  • kvp7338
    kvp7338 Posts: 6 Member
    What do you like about them?
  • ArtthurCarlson
    ArtthurCarlson Posts: 32 Member
    I hope it's OK to ask an additional question in this thread! Do you prefer a stand alone tracker, such as a FitBit, or just the phone trackers like Endomondo or MapMyWalk?
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Runkeeper. You can track all kinds of exercises, it links to MFP, you can set goals to reach, you can set pre-run intervals (so if you want to sprint for 2 min, then 1 min walk, etc) and it will give you sound cues to switch. I've been using for 2+ years now...just the free version...and love it.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    My wife bought me a fitbit and Its ok. It has a good app and a fantastic comunity behind it. competing with your friends can be fun and semi-rewarding. Most of all it lets me know by the numbers how lazy I've been. Mine is the charge HR and it reads my heart rate which seems to be fine for regular daily activities byt weight lifting or anything that causes my wrist to flex a lot doesn't register well.

I bought a polar m400 gps running watch because where I live there is one cellular tower for the entire town and theres no triangulation of any cellular towers for accurate gps. I used runkeeper before and compared to the gps watch its off 3/10 of a mile over a 3 mile run and if your training for a race or event that could really add up over some more substantial distances. The m400 has activity tracking built in and does what I feel is a better job of it than the fitbit but none of my friends or family have a polar product. It uses a chest strap based heart rate monitor for exercise and its companion h7 monitor is widely known as a good accurate unit. The polar unit is substantially larger than the fitbit but seems to be of a good build quality with far more adjustment in the band.

Neither of these products make you more fit but both cause you to be aware of what you did or did not do that day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Why the question?

Forerunner25 by Garmin because it does what I need it to! Running with GPS and heart rate, and all around activity tracker for sleep, calories in/out and sync with MFP and steps. I can use this with Strava, MapMyrun as well.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    kvp7338 wrote: »
    Please kindly tell me which tracker you use, why you use it, what you like about it and what you don't like about it. Thank you.

As far as day to day tracking I like Garmin Products. I use the VivoSmart HR. It's an all day activity tracker, HR monitor. The Heart Rate Monitor I've tested, against a Garmin HRM, and Whaoo Fitnees HRM ...which I've found to be accurate. It tracks my sleep and Stairs, but I think the Stairs feature is a bit off. My wife uses the Forerunner 25 which is a All Day Step Counter, Sleep Monitor and running GPS.

The Garmin Connect is a bit "Meat and Potatoes" though it's very much number based which I personally like.

As far as Workout Tracking I use a Mixture of Garmin Connect, Strava, and Training Peaks. Which all three are very much numbers based for the endurance athlete. And I cannot begin to explain the difference just Strava has made for me in my cycling world. If you're wanting something a bit more easier to understand and easier on the eyes I would HIGHLY recommend Endomondo.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

To get a meaningful answer, other than a list of what people have then it would help to understand what's driving your question, what you hope to gain from having some form of tracker and what sort of activities you're hoping to track using it.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Map My Fitness - you can use it to map just about any activity.
    i use it for walking, kayaking, and swimmin...and will usie it for bike riding onde i get my bike fixed

• kvp7338
    kvp7338 Posts: 6 Member

To get a meaningful answer, other than a list of what people have then it would help to understand what's driving your question, what you hope to gain from having some form of tracker and what sort of activities you're hoping to track using it.

I asked because I am curious. I don't understand why people use a tracker. I am trying to determine if I too would find some value in utilizing a tracker of some sort. And then I would use the input from those that have kindly answered to determine what I would trial.

Thank you to those that have kindly answered my questions.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I asked because I am curious. I don't understand why people use a tracker. I am trying to determine if I too would find some value in utilizing a tracker of some sort.

Thanks, useful context.

I have:
    • Garmin VivoSmart HR - Wrist worn step tracker, it counts steps, flights of stairs, activity minutes and tracks HR. The step counter is interesting, but of limited value to me as an endurance runner. The most useful aspect is that it tracks my resting heart rate so that I can see fitness improvement, and indeed judge whether I may need to ease back on training. Activity minutes are also a bit nebulous for me.
    • Garmin Forerunner 310XT Triathlon watch - Gives me a GPS trace and performance metrics for running, cycling and outdoor swimming. It also links to both the VivoSmart HR or a dedicate HR monitoring pod to include my HR in my training. The latter point isn't something I use much as HR data isn't a huge contributor to my training.
    • Garmin Edge 520 cycle GPS for tracking my cycling, whether road, trail or turbotrainer. Connects to cadence and speed sensors on the bike as well as either the VivoSmart or a dedicated HR pod. Again it gives me geographic tracking to allow me to analyse performance on my various bikes.

You'll note all Garmin so it feeds into a single ecosystem, which integrates all of the sports performance data into a unified picture.

I share the data with Strava, Endomondo and MFP. Strava has good analysis tools and Endomondo gives me my training plans for endurance running, so allows me to build my actual training into the adherence to the plan.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    I use a SportLine pedometer I got from walmart for $12. It tracks my steps, gives me an estimated calorie burn, distance, and active time. I like it because 1. I'm cheap. 2. All I really want to know is how much time I spend walking around. The steps, calorie, and distance are irrelevant to me, as I just use MFP's calorie estimation for walking (I use 2.0 speed so it should be under-estimated) if I end up walking for more than an hour. It works for what I want. I'm not into the super techy gadgets.
  • katieann68
    katieann68 Posts: 2 Member
    I also use the PolarM400 but only wear it during intentional bouts of physical activity such as taking a class, working out at home, biking, hiking, etc. I don't use it for the activity tracker function personally because tracking my daily steps is not of interest to me. I specifically wanted something with a chest strap HR monitor for better accuracy especially bc the wrist ones would always stop working when doing things like burpees or lifting when I tried. I really like this tool -- agree wish more people had it so for the community sense most people seem to be on the FitBit!
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited July 2016
    I use the FitBit HR Charge.

Pros/what I like about it:
    -Step count is pretty accurate
    -Gets me on my feet (for example, if I only have 9,000 steps, I will make a point of going for a 10-minute walk I --otherwise wouldn't have gone for had I not had the tracker)
    -Sleep measurements are interesting
    -Good for tracking heart rate
    -I like that you can challenge/compete with other friends who have a FitBit

Cons/what I don't like:
    -Only measures walking, cycling, running and elliptical (and not always accurate - might say I was doing the elliptical even though I was rowing)
    -The wristband has a tendency to separate from the watch face if pulled too tight too often (however I was able to get a new one for free with the warranty)
    -I don't think the distance tracker is very accurate
    -Low battery life (5 days before you have to recharge, but it only takes a couple of hours)
    -Sometimes leaves a mark on my wrist

Overall: I would recommend this product if you're looking to get a good idea of how many stpes you're taking in a day and wishing to improve. Also good if you want to measure how much/well you sleep and monitor your heart rate.

Disclaimer: I have never owned another product of this type, so I have nothing to compare it to.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member

I asked because I am curious. I don't understand why people use a tracker. I am trying to determine if I too would find some value in utilizing a tracker of some sort. And then I would use the input from those that have kindly answered to determine what I would trial.

Thank you to those that have kindly answered my questions.
    • I use a tracker in conjunction with MyFitnessPal for a number of reasons. I have the Negative Calories Adjustment tuned on so the more sedimentary I am through the day the the less calories I have to eat through the day.
    • I have several fellow MFPers on my Garmin Connect account and every week it pits up together in a step contest to see who can get the most steps in one 7 day period. So with that in the back of my head it keeps me active.
    • Mine has a HR monitor on it so i can judge my activity level though the day based on HR. And I can adjust my diet or activity levels accordingly.
    • Mine also has a sleep tracker. So I can adjust my Sugar and/or caffeine later in the evening to help me sleep better.

Are they a NEEDED item. Heavens no. But they do help you get a better picture of what you're doing when your not exercising.
  • susie826
    susie826 Posts: 1 Member
    I started wearing a Jawbone UP2 about a month ago. I had been using a free app downloaded to my cell phone to track steps. While the app helped me to realize that I needed to get up from my desk more during the workday, it only counts those steps taken when I have my phone with me. When I decided to try a wearable, I picked the UP2 based mostly on appearance. It looks more like a bracelet than a fitness tracker and came in colors that I liked. It was pretty affordable which was another plus since I was a little unsure about whether a wearable was for me. You do have to open the app to check steps. It also tracks sleep and you can manually add exercise (like swimming and cycling) that isn't captured by the tracker. The information captured on Jawbone can be set so that it feeds to the MFP site. While there are things I wish were different or better with the Jawbone app, it's been a huge help to me to be more mindful about moving.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited July 2016
    Garmin Fenix 3. I like that everything is built into a single, good-looking package. I use the GPS every day, and love having it with me any time I ever need it. Use the GPS to trace my routes, which is hugely helpful (it can explain a lot of the data), to know how fast I'm running, and to know when the sun will rise and set. It talks to the power meter on my bike, records my swims, measures the altitude and shows the air pressure history which lets me predict storms in the backcountry, and even counts my steps through the day. But I really like that it goes beyond step count.

27386482953_4e9f0bc0e6_o_d.jpg
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    I have a garmin vivo active(paid 189) and when I workout, I have a scosche bluetooth heart rate arm band(paid 59.99).
  • TheNewKristin
    TheNewKristin Posts: 24 Member
    I have a Garmin 235. Love it. The resting HR measure seems a bit off, but the HR during workouts seems fine. GPS is spot on, it syncs with MFP and Runkeeper. It tracks running, biking, etc. and is waterproof.