Recipe Management

Options
CaptainOlson
CaptainOlson Posts: 15 Member
I've been using the recipe builder to store my newly discovered healthy foods. However, I find the app on my phone clunky to use when I'm actually trying to cook something. The app shows the ingredients, but there's no instructions and the screen keeps timing out while I'm preparing the food causing me to dirty up the screen when I unlock the phone again. (usually because I've made a mess and my fingers are covered in something)

I was curious what y'all were using to manage your recipes. I've spent the better part of my afternoon installing and testing out several different apps and thought I had found one that I really liked only to find that it hasn't been updated since 2014 and doesn't function quite right on new Android devices.

I'd like to find something that will let me manage my recipes on my PC and my phone. There are lot of recipe managers that provide you with recipes but don't let you edit them or add your own. I'm not against paying for the application, but I'd like to avoid subscription fees if possible.

So, what do you experts suggest?

Replies

• SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    a 1" binder and those plastic sheet protectors. :wink:

That's seriously what I use-- I'm more of an analog recipe keeper. All the digital ones were too expensive, too ugly, or didn't do what I wanted.

So I get magazines like Cooking Light and Better Homes and Gardens, and once I'm done reading them use an x-acto knife to take the recipes out of them and store them in my organized binder. Works like a charm for magazine or printed out pages!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Copymethat.com is what I use
  • Hammerhead0802
    Hammerhead0802 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Evernote. Once a recipe is in there, I can get it from any computer as well as my phone and my iPad. Very handy. And free!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I prefer using the recipe builder on the website rather than the app. I generally set up a recipe before I plan to cook it with general weights and ingredients. Then as I'm cooking, I write down the measurements on a scrap bit of paper. Once I'm done cooking I either update the weights on the app or website.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Chef tap lets you add from the web, edit, or create your own. No nutritional info though. I used to use Spark Recipes, but not for years.
  • bkwcsw
    bkwcsw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love The Recipe Box App.
  • CaptainOlson
    CaptainOlson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My wife has a binder that she stores all her recipes in, but it is such a mess. I thought about putting one together for me, but wanted something that I could easily take with me (in case I have to do some emergency healthy cooking while I'm saving the world or something ;) ) Either way, I still think I'm going to put a book together for myself. At the very least, I can separate all the healthy recipes from the not so healthy ones.

When I posted this question, I had decided to use Evernote. So far, I've plugged in 10 or so recipes. It works and is easily accessible from anywhere with a network connection. It's also free, which is really nice.

I looked into The Recipe Box, but found that the app hasn't been updated since 2014 and the developer's website no longer exists, so I passed on it.

I hadn't looked into Copymethat but I tinkered with it this weekend and found that it works pretty well. It correctly copied recipes from a couple different websites and I was able to edit them to fit my needs. My only complaint is that the user interface is rather bland and it doesn't have the option to keep the screen on while viewing the recipe.

Chef Tap was one of the apps I looked at before posting this question. It is pretty impressive and does pretty much everything that I want but requires a subscription. I totally understand that I'm asking for everything for nothing but I'm cheap (and pretty much broke).

So, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll keep playing with Chef Tap, Copymethat, and Evertnote to decide which I like best while I start assembling my binder.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I store in a folder on my computer ... then I retrieve the recipe from there and print it out if I want to take it into the kitchen with me ...

The MFP recipe builder is intended more to assist you in logging your food to get a calorie and macro breakdown rather than as a place to store recipes. But it would be nice if it did that also!
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    PlanToEat ALL THE WAY!!! Great import from it to MFP as well.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    PlanToEat ALL THE WAY!!! Great import from it to MFP as well.

I was going to recommend P2E as well. I've been using it for a long time.
  • hungry4pies
    hungry4pies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    spoonacular is similar to P2E but free and with apps :)