Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    MrSimmers wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    There's already more than enough taxes everywhere. The solution is to cut down on entitlement care.

Great idea. How do you propose to do that if you are king of the US for a day? Just let people without insurance die or????

Not let people without insurance die if it's for a non-lifestyle induced illness. For a start, I'd propose increasing care for all emergency patients and accident-related care, free of charge. A national health system for this emergency care funded by income tax. Then, a complete eradication of all public-sponsored elective surgeries, gastric bypass, or any lifestyle disease that is self-induced. Exemptions would be allowed provided evidence is provided that it wasn't self-induced. Eg: evidence of a healthy lifestyle but nevertheless suffering from a genetic disorder predisposing one to weight gain. These would be exempt but rare cases.

This alone would increase healthcare for people that do everything right but get unlucky, or suffer from an emergency medical condition, whilst forcing people to pay for their own lifestyle decisions. This would also bring back personal responsibility, which would have a far reaching impact socially as well. The net result would be savings and less taxation needed by government.

So say someone is 20 pounds overweight on the BMI scale and they roll into the ER with a heart attack. Do you treat them as someone that had a preventable situatuon and let them die or treat them?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There's already more than enough taxes everywhere. The solution is to cut down on entitlement care.

Great idea. How do you propose to do that if you are king of the US for a day? Just let people without insurance die or????

Not let people without insurance die if it's for a non-lifestyle induced illness. For a start, I'd propose increasing care for all emergency patients and accident-related care, free of charge. A national health system for this emergency care funded by income tax. Then, a complete eradication of all public-sponsored elective surgeries, gastric bypass, or any lifestyle disease that is self-induced. Exemptions would be allowed provided evidence is provided that it wasn't self-induced. Eg: evidence of a healthy lifestyle but nevertheless suffering from a genetic disorder predisposing one to weight gain. These would be exempt but rare cases.

This alone would increase healthcare for people that do everything right but get unlucky, or suffer from an emergency medical condition, whilst forcing people to pay for their own lifestyle decisions. This would also bring back personal responsibility, which would have a far reaching impact socially as well. The net result would be savings and less taxation needed by government.

So say someone is 20 pounds overweight on the BMI scale and they roll into the ER with a heart attack. Do you treat them as someone that had a preventable situatuon and let them die or treat them?

That depends, do they smoke?

/sarcasm
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

BMI is a terrible indicator. That's one thing that would absolutely need to go the way of the dodo, if treatment refusal due to self-induction were to become an option for providers.
    The smoking thing, while sarcastic, I actually agree with. And yeah, as someone who smoked until this year, I should be turned away as well, unless I can pay my own way.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The clear solution is nutritious gruel for all.

Soylent Green!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

BMI is a terrible indicator. That's one thing that would absolutely need to go the way of the dodo, if treatment refusal due to self-induction were to become an option for providers.
    The smoking thing, while sarcastic, I actually agree with. And yeah, as someone who smoked until this year, I should be turned away as well, unless I can pay my own way.

BMI isn't a terrible indicator. It is pretty reliable for the majority of people. It should be used with other assessments but it is a good indicator.

"BMI does not measure body fat directly, but research has shown that BMI is moderately correlated with more direct measures of body fat obtained from skinfold thickness measurements, bioelectrical impedance, densitometry (underwater weighing), dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and other methods 1,2,3. Furthermore, BMI appears to be as strongly correlated with various metabolic and disease outcome as are these more direct measures of body fatness 4,5,6,7,8,9. In general, BMI is an inexpensive and easy-to-perform method of screening for weight category, for example underweight, normal or healthy weight, overweight, and obesity.

A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used as a screening tool but is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.

To determine if a high BMI is a health risk, a healthcare provider would need to perform further assessments. These assessments might include skinfold thickness measurements, evaluations of diet, physical activity, family history, and other appropriate health screenings10."
    https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    That was my point. By itself, it CAN function fine. However, given the huge percentage of people who seem to be in denial over their obesity, I can almost assure you that you'd end up having to run the other tests anyway because "I'm not fat, I'm big boned".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    For the man/woman on the street with a waist is greater than 38/34 is about all one needs to know to understand a health risk has developed that needs to be addressed.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    just stumbled across this too http://goywc.com/6ix
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    just stumbled across this too http://goywc.com/6ix

Inb4 people are smuggling soda to Philly, like they do cigs to NYC.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    For the man/woman on the street with a waist is greater than 38/34 is about all one needs to know to understand a health risk has developed that needs to be addressed.

What if the woman is pregnant?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42", 34", 42", what now?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm a 42", 34", 42", what now?

What the Christ? Are you corset training? ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a thread. So was that a low carb binge or...? :s:D

Honestly? I think what goes in the discussions of policy makes is kind of similar to what goes here sometimes. I don't know if it's spending too much time around health conscious people or what, but some of the answers are really disconnected from reality. People in general, and many of us were the same, are not very concerned with nutrition. Does it look good? Does it taste good? Is it cheap? Is it convenient? If hits all or most of the notes it gets eaten even if all packaged foods had calories listed in a font size the covers more than half the package.

Hmm. So because it didn't or wouldn't work for you, why extrapolate that to mean it wouldn't work for anyone else? Maybe they might select another treat that hit all the major points but contained fewer calories.

There was a previous post about people making their own treats at home if the store ones were highly taxed. I'm probably saying this from the perspective of a calorie counter, but making my own food often gives me tighter control over the calories contained in it, so this could be a good thing. Of course if I didn't care about calories at all, then it might have minimal to no impact.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Honestly? I think what goes in the discussions of policy makes is kind of similar to what goes here sometimes. I don't know if it's spending too much time around health conscious people or what, but some of the answers are really disconnected from reality. People in general, and many of us were the same, are not very concerned with nutrition. Does it look good? Does it taste good? Is it cheap? Is it convenient? If hits all or most of the notes it gets eaten even if all packaged foods had calories listed in a font size the covers more than half the package.

Hmm. So because it didn't or wouldn't work for you, why extrapolate that to mean it wouldn't work for anyone else? Maybe they might select another treat that hit all the major points but contained fewer calories.

There was a previous post about people making their own treats at home if the store ones were highly taxed. I'm probably saying this from the perspective of a calorie counter, but making my own food often gives me tighter control over the calories contained in it, so this could be a good thing. Of course if I didn't care about calories at all, then it might have minimal to no impact.

How many people, outside of MFP and the health conscious community, do you see paying special attention to calories other than "I probably shouldn't eat this, but meh". How many people are dedicated enough to make all of their treats at home, tightly watching the calories they contain, then packing them in case they feel like eating something when out and about? Even those who do make their home treats, I doubt many would even consider calories as a deciding factor. They would just be making pecan pies and donut holes.

This thread is trying to present a population level solution that would somehow "force" people to ditch their years old, culturally ingrained, convenience driven habits, it's not trying to look for a solution that would work for the select few who already are aware of portion sizes and already are watching their calories. Those select few don't need that kind of push anyway because they're already doing what should be done.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

How many people, outside of MFP and the health conscious community, do you see paying special attention to calories other than "I probably shouldn't eat this, but meh". How many people are dedicated enough to make all of their treats at home, tightly watching the calories they contain, then packing them in case they feel like eating something when out and about? Even those who do make their home treats, I doubt many would even consider calories as a deciding factor. They would just be making pecan pies and donut holes.

This thread is trying to present a population level solution that would somehow "force" people to ditch their years old, culturally ingrained, convenience driven habits, it's not trying to look for a solution that would work for the select few who already are aware of portion sizes and already are watching their calories. Those select few don't need that kind of push anyway because they're already doing what should be done.

I don't know a lot of people that conscientiously count their calories. But.... not everyone goes around advertising that they do, to to be honest I couldn't tell you for sure who has and uses the app, and who doesn't. Additionally, although I don't know a lot of calorie counters, I do know lots of people who take deliberate steps to watch their weight. They have personal policies such as, no soda, no bread, don't eat if they don't feel like it (even when at a restaurant they chose!), don't like / eat sweets, etc. What's to say having the calorie information displayed more prominently won't help more individuals easily make choices that align a bit better with a calorie controlled diet?

My issue with NOT taking action at the population level, or at least giving options at that level is that we love to compare how fat the US is compared to other countries. Problem is, many of these nations don't necessarily have cheaply and abundantly available food, transportation may not be as easy and convenient so they have to walk, a LOT, or their governments have taken deliberate steps to make physical activity a more commonly selected choice. Meanwhile we just want to fall out of bed healthy without taking any specific action and wonder why the population continues to get fatter
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Food should be not taxed. We are taxed enough on every purchase we make. And, depending on what you define as 'junk' food, it is already taxed if it is ready to go from take out joints and served in restaurants.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This thread is trying to present a population level solution that would somehow "force" people to ditch their years old, culturally ingrained, convenience driven habits, it's not trying to look for a solution that would work for the select few who already are aware of portion sizes and already are watching their calories.

What "force?" This thread is about whether or not a tax should be levied on non-essential items that some people buy voluntarily.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is that it's not really clear what the tax would be on.