Best Bread?

Options
Hi! I love sandwiches. I am wondering what everyone thinks is the best low calorie and healthiest bread option for sandwiches (actual bread, not lettuce wraps)? I typically eat whole wheat bread or whole wheat pita pockets. Is there a healthier option? What should I look for when buying bread? Thanks!

Replies

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer bread is my favourite bread ever. Apparently they have a 60 cals per slice version in the US, that would be my go to. I buy the regular one that is 120 cals per slice. My lunchtime sandwich keeps me full for ages. 21 one whole grains is where it is at.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I buy local, fresh baked bread. Can't say it is the lowest calorie but the idea that commercial bread doesn't mold grosses me out. (Years ago my daughter did a science fair experiment on mold. She almost ran out of time because none of the bread molded. Bread should mold. Preservatives are great but if you can avoid them, even better.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's not low cal but this is my bread preference.

a065facf-e359-4915-b73b-dfca72559d14.jpg
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I rather like bread with a high seed content. Definitely not low calorie, but makes up for that by being incredibly filling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat the kirkland multigrain...

CT968000_n1.jpg

It's not low cal...and most breads aren't going to be...in fact a lot of these types of breads can actually be higher calorie because they include grains and seeds and whatnot that are good for you from a nutritional standpoint..but that has absolutely nothing to do with caloric density.

Eat whatever bread is going to help you hit your nutritional goals...there is no "best"...it's all relative.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins are low calorie
  • moabbite
    moabbite Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat the kirkland multigrain...

CT968000_n1.jpg

It's not low cal...and most breads aren't going to be...in fact a lot of these types of breads can actually be higher calorie because they include grains and seeds and whatnot that are good for you from a nutritional standpoint..but that has absolutely nothing to do with caloric density.

Eat whatever bread is going to help you hit your nutritional goals...there is no "best"...it's all relative.

That's the bread my Oma buys! :smile: I'm more for nutritional value over calorie amount, but logging my foods I notice bread is a big chunk of my caloric allowance each day.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am for nutrition first too, plus I want to taste something too. The Dave's Killer bread goes off pretty quickly, no preservatives at all.

I have had the kirkland one too, I like it a lot. Nice and dense, the way a good bread should be.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    Dave's Killer bread is my favourite bread ever. Apparently they have a 60 cals per slice version in the US, that would be my go to. I buy the regular one that is 120 cals per slice. My lunchtime sandwich keeps me full for ages. 21 one whole grains is where it is at.

I came in here to recommend Dave's Killer Bread, so I love that this was the first response in the thread. DKB is one of the only breads I can eat, as I'm allergic to sulfates/sulfites and most breads use them as a preservative. They have several types of bread, but they have thin-sliced versions of most of them that are 60 to 70 calories per slice. The regular DKB slices are huge in my opinion, so the smaller versions are nice. I still like them both though. Very nutrient dense, low sugar, and excellent taste. My favorite is the Powerseed Thin Sliced. I also like the Alvarado Street Bakery breads, but I don't feel like they have as good of a shelf life as Dave's Killer Bread.
  • moabbite
    Options
    I think I am just having a hard time with the nutrition balance. I look at my food logged and I'm within my calories and macros are on point, but I don't meet my nutritional goals. Sometimes I think it's impossible without going over my calories. Guess I should work out more :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    moabbite wrote: »
    I think I am just having a hard time with the nutrition balance. I look at my food logged and I'm within my calories and macros are on point, but I don't meet my nutritional goals. Sometimes I think it's impossible without going over my calories. Guess I should work out more :smiley:

What are you finding that you are short on? What is your calorie goal and what are your nutritional goals?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Look up Dave's Killer Bread. Strange name, but I found it at my local Wal-Mart. All the packaging seems to tout the healthy code-words of the progressive foodies so I figure it's what you are looking for. I don't eat a lot of bread, so I keep my loaf in the freezer and toast a piece when I want one.
  • moabbite
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

What are you finding that you are short on? What is your calorie goal and what are your nutritional goals?

1200 calories. I'm going off the goals that MFP has set. Seem to come up short for pretty much everything except vitamin C.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

1200 calories. I'm going off the goals that MFP has set. Seem to come up short for pretty much everything except vitamin C.

Double-check the entries you select out of the database before you log them. Not all users fill in the full nutrient profile. Using USDA entries for meat and produce is usually a good way to go. See how that goes for a couple of days - you might find you're doing better with your micronutrients than is currently being shown.
  • moabbite
    Options

Double-check the entries you select out of the database before you log them. Not all users fill in the full nutrient profile. Using USDA entries for meat and produce is usually a good way to go. See how that goes for a couple of days - you might find you're doing better with your micronutrients than is currently being shown.

So the food database with nutrients is filled out by users? Unless it has the green verified checkmark next to it? Or I scan a code

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

That's my strategy...but my goals go up when I log exercise. It's like my protein goal is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Also...I use whole wheat english muffins...more fulfilling than low calorie bread IMHO.