CORN- bizarre discrepancy???

If you google "39g of corn", it comes up with 147 calories. Google "39g of corn KERNELS" and you get 25 calories! Can anyone explain this? What gives???

Replies

• NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    jk02nbxqyt71.jpg
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Have you checked what the USDA database says?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    The first one is from the USDA.
    The second is from DelMonte.
    It is confusing.

ji2g1vcfvp06.png
    ve8vxlna32p2.png
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The first one is from the USDA.
    The second is from DelMonte.
    It is confusing.

ji2g1vcfvp06.png
    ve8vxlna32p2.png

There's only a five calorie difference between the two you posted. The USDA serving size of 82 grams is for a drained serving. The Del Monte serving size for a drained portion is 83 grams.

This isn't really a glaring difference. Factor in the fact that there are different varieties of corn with varying nutritional profiles and the difference here is trivial.
  • Carlos_421
    If you google "39g of corn", it comes up with 147 calories. Google "39g of corn KERNELS" and you get 25 calories! Can anyone explain this? What gives???

I actually don't get either of those results from either search. I just get a long list of nutrition websites and forums.

If you are eating fresh corn, go with the USDA database for the variety of corn you have. If you have a can of corn with nutrition info on the label, go with that.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I actually don't get either of those results from either search. I just get a long list of nutrition websites and forums.

If you are eating fresh corn, go with the USDA database for the variety of corn you have. If you have a can of corn with nutrition info on the label, go with that.

Type it into a google search EXACTLY as I have (including the word "of") and you will get the same results I did. I often use this little trick when seeking calorie values. I used to rely on this completely before I found mfp and succeeded in easily losing 30+ lbs using their counts- which can sometimes vary widely from Mfp
  • Carlos_421
    edited July 2016
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Type it into a google search EXACTLY as I have (including the word "of") and you will get the same results I did. I often use this little trick when seeking calorie values. I used to rely on this completely before I found mfp and succeeded in easily losing 30+ lbs using their counts- which can sometimes vary widely from Mfp

I did. The results I got are as I describe: a list of search results in the form of nutrition websites and forums.

ETA: my advice above still stands. Use either the USDA value for the type of corn you're eating or the value on the can.
  • escschwartz
    escschwartz Posts: 10 Member
    If you search for "calories in 39g of sweet corn" you get a comparable value to the canned label from that same site that gave you the 147 calories when you searched. Searching for "calories in 39g of corn" gives you the 147 calories in "white corn" which I suspect is actually not the same variety and might even be waxy or field corn (for animal consumption) or a non-hybrid variety of maize.