fast heart rate w/o exercise= calorie burn?

Options
I have a question. I tried to search for the answer but could not find it. When someone has an elevated heart rate are they still burning calories even though they are not actually exercising? I'm really just curious

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor know you are feeling a rapid heart rate? If not he/she should.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I want to know, too.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor know you are feeling a rapid heart rate? If not he/she should.

Oh no, it's not me that has one. A friend blamed a rapid weight loss on elevated heart rate but I am concerned she may not be eating much and taking pills of some sort.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Pills will cause an elevated heart rate.
  • amaczu
    amaczu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If she says that pills are giving her an elevated heart rate, she is probably taking a stimulant. Some stimulants will suppress your appetite and cause you to lose weight (Adderall) while other stimulants like Ephedra increase your metabolism as a thermogenic agent (increasing your 'heat' as a biproduct of burning off a bit of extra fuel). Many diet pills are just loaded with Caffeine (Hydroxycut) and other non-stimulant pills will change the way you metabolize fat without increasing your heart rate.

Note that all of those stimulants I listed with MAYBE the exception of Hydroxycut are dangerous (and in Adderall's case ILLEGAL) to take without the direction of a physician. I personally wouldn't take any diet pills...might as well rip out your liver and take a sledgehammer to it because that's how far you'll get.

If your friend is taking a pill that makes her heart race and she's using it for weight loss, she must be doing so under the supervision of her doctor. I know I might get a slap on the wrist for bringing up the A-word but it's a very dangerous and awful drug to get involved with if your doctor is not aware and able to guide you. If you notice your friend changes in personality (becomes more withdrawn, irritable, starts keeping weird hours, develops repetitive motor tics like hair-touching, itching and picking at her skin or starts neglecting hygiene) you should approach them about it or go to their loved ones.
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this also. If a HRM measures heart rate, then it can't just be from exercise right? Like for example if something startles you, and your heart rate increases, do you burn more calories than you did a few seconds earlier? I'm not planning on logging these calories, I'm just curious :P
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    I was wondering this also. If a HRM measures heart rate, then it can't just be from exercise right? Like for example if something startles you, and your heart rate increases, do you burn more calories than you did a few seconds earlier? I'm not planning on logging these calories, I'm just curious :P

I want to know that too!!!!
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    If she says that pills are giving her an elevated heart rate, she is probably taking a stimulant. Some stimulants will suppress your appetite and cause you to lose weight (Adderall) while other stimulants like Ephedra increase your metabolism as a thermogenic agent (increasing your 'heat' as a biproduct of burning off a bit of extra fuel). Many diet pills are just loaded with Caffeine (Hydroxycut) and other non-stimulant pills will change the way you metabolize fat without increasing your heart rate.

Note that all of those stimulants I listed with MAYBE the exception of Hydroxycut are dangerous (and in Adderall's case ILLEGAL) to take without the direction of a physician. I personally wouldn't take any diet pills...might as well rip out your liver and take a sledgehammer to it because that's how far you'll get.

If your friend is taking a pill that makes her heart race and she's using it for weight loss, she must be doing so under the supervision of her doctor. I know I might get a slap on the wrist for bringing up the A-word but it's a very dangerous and awful drug to get involved with if your doctor is not aware and able to guide you. If you notice your friend changes in personality (becomes more withdrawn, irritable, starts keeping weird hours, develops repetitive motor tics like hair-touching, itching and picking at her skin or starts neglecting hygiene) you should approach them about it or go to their loved ones.

Great info. That is so scary I am afraid of the effects of diet pills