The SCALE

Options
Hi folks.. So how often do you guys weigh yourselves? My family has thrown out 3 so far because I used to weigh every 5 seconds it seemed. So now I only weigh in once a month with my regular doctor who is assisting me with monitoring my weight. There are days when I'd like to see where I am in between appointments. I just don't want to get addicted to the scale. I'm cool with once a month weigh-ins but I'm curious to know whether or not you guys weigh like once a week or every other just to make sure that constant accountability is there. Thanks

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    People do what works best for their situation. I weigh once every morning after using the bathroom and before breakfast. It's a very consistent time of day so it makes it easier to see the trend over time. Others weigh weekly or every two weeks at other intervals.

Weighing multiple times a day isn't useful because your weigh fluctuates throughout the day with water gain and loss, and with any food you consume and when you use the bathroom. If your family threw out scales because you were showing signs of a compulsion, you need to get some counseling to manage your relationship with food and your weight.
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before breakfast everyday, give or take a few days. I also jump on them 3 times in a row and take the average reading. I only properly log every 4 weeks though as the daily ones are to make sure im on the right path.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Every morning after using the toilet.

It's almost pointless to weigh more frequently than that. The only reason I would do it is to check my hydration level. In other words, I'll weigh myself in the morning, then go for a long, long bicycle ride, then weigh myself when I eventually return many hours later. If I weigh about the same, that's good. I drank enough on the ride. If I've lost a bit of weight, I wasn't drinking enough.
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have heart failure, and retain fluid easily. I have to weigh myself daily, because if I gain 2+ lbs in 2 days, I know I need to take my diuretics.
    I'm also trying to gain weight in general, but I only take Monday weight for that, and track progress on averages for the month.

And always in the morning: after toilet, before breakfast, and in my birthday suit ;)
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I know, I'm the odd ball here! LOL I'll tell you why. When I was younger and trying to lose weight, it was all about the scale and not about the healthy eating. I truly feel that's why I could never keep my weight off. I yo-yo dieted for many years. Now I have health problems and eating healthy is more important than the scales. I can tell my attitude is completely different. My old self comes out once in a while and I want to step on that scale and I have to remind myself why I'm doing this. Maybe it's because I already have health problems but I wish I had this attitude before, I probably wouldn't have the extra weight I have today.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I would normally weigh daily every morning at the same time in order to record my weight for my own knowledge however I am also 'ok' with the 2-8lb fluctuations that are normal for me depending on my level of activity, sodium intake, hydration and all sorts of other factors.

If you can look at a 'gain' and understand that it may only be a temporary thing then weigh as much as you like. If you take every change on the scale to heart then consider weighing less often. In addition, if you are working out or lifting weights then the numbers on the scale can be very misleading. For me, the mirror is a better judge of progress than the scale.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I log my Monday morning weight. Then weigh again on Wednesday and Friday just to see where things are going. I used to weigh multiple times a day but it became disheartening watching the scale bounce around.
  • CloudyTortilla
    CloudyTortilla Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in every morning after using the toilet, but I only "log" (in my journal) the lowest weight in a week. This has worked best for me :smiley: but everyone needs to find the solution that works best for his / her situation - there no strict rule what is best :)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week if I remember to. I'm focusing more on body composition right now so the number on the scale isn't too important. However, it's more of a gauge of am I eating the right amount of calories for my goals. If the scale goes way up or way down then I need to adjust my calories or reassess my logging. Fwiw I'm in maintenance.
  • Believeinme35
    Believeinme35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Reading everyone's reply was very motivational. I really have a better sense of what's normal for most people. It's good to know I'm not the only person out here going it alone.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself officially on Mondays and Fridays. When I first started the process in January I weighed myself every two weeks. Now I weigh myself daily but it's more out of curiosity as I'm in the semi maintenance state. I don't freak out over variations in my weight,I look at the long term pattern.

When I say out of curiosity what I mean is I like to see how my body fluctuates. My weight can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds in a day.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Fluctuations don't bother me though. I like to see patterns and trends. I record my weight on here once a week.
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh myself one day a week in the morning. That is the weight I log in to MFP. However, I do weigh most mornings to keep track.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Once a week...Although this week I did it twice. In the past I was obsessed with the scale and formed a very unhealthy habit. But yes like most of you, in the morning (after bathroom time ) before breakfast. Weight loss experts say that the best day to weigh yourself is on a Wednesday. I usually do it on a Friday though
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Everyday. I am a data nerd. Like vividdawn I have other reasons, like edema. I need to know asap. However...I do think not everyone can or should weigh in everyday. It can put people into a mental health cycle of depression/obsession and mania for starters..
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I work away from home, and when I am over here I weigh constantly. (Nothing better to do)

Every morning to get my actual weight, with my official weigh in on Monday morning. I also weigh in before I exercise, and then again after I exercise/before bed. I do this to make sure that I am drinking enough water after a hard cardio session so I don't go to sleep dehydrated. I can lose three pounds in an hour of cardio and that is with drinking water constantly throughout, so I try to make sure that once I am cooled down and the sweating has stopped that I am still within a pound of my pre-workout weight.

Daily weigh ins help me stay on track on my weight. Regardless of what the scale says I can go back, look at my diet and exercise for the day and evaluate if I need to change it up. For example, I just finished eating very salty fajitas for four days in a row and each day my weight was constantly rising. If I didn't weigh in each morning, I would have stepped on the scale and been shocked to see a 4 pound gain. But since I have been weighing each day, eating at a deficit, and exercising the last four days I know that its just water weight and will drop back down by tomorrow or the next day now that I am eating much less salt.

When I am at home, I weigh in every few days if I remember. I still try to do an official weigh in on Mondays but that only happens half the time.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, as soon as I get up I go to the toilet then weigh myself, but my proper weigh in is friday morning and thats the numbers I log.

i like seeing my morning number, it helps me....firtsly if its down it makes me feel good and gives me the motivation to have a good because IT IS WORKING.
    secondly, if its up slightly this helps me keep on track for a good day because I think "nope, dont like that"

I was completely obsessed when I first started in 2014, and was on the scales everytime I went in the bathroom, I drive my self crazy, so now I let my obsession get stuck in to weighing and logging my food and drink which is where we need to be focused anyway rather than the bathroom scales
  • Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week, usually Saturday and or Sunday. It's not to say I'm not curious during the week, but I'll still wait until my weigh-in day.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I weigh often. I expect fluctuations. I only record the lows. You have to figure out what works for you. If you obsess over the numbers it is probably not a good idea to keep a scale that you jump on every 5 minutes.
  • Redwineandmuscles
    Redwineandmuscles Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day. Now it's less than once a month. Luckily I'm maintaining.