Anybody ever get heckled while running or biking?

Options

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me before. People seem to think that because I'm overweight, they can make fun of me for wanting to run. It's pretty demotivating so I tend to just stick to the treadmill.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ignore and keep on pushing!

• tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I get heckled walking my dog, because I have a small dog. He's a Chihuahua and French Bulldog mix that weighs about 12 pounds. So yeah, it's not "manly" to have a small dog.

I have an 18 lb French Bulldog/Chihuahua mix. I only get stopped so people can pet him and ask what breed he is. I'm a woman so there is a different attitude.

I tend to do most of my walking out in the hills so I don't have to worry about it too much. The worst things I've dealt with was ATVs and they usually stay on their side. I sometimes have to deal with horses but since I usually have a dog with me they give me a lot of room. Horses can spook for the weirdest reasons and a dog can set them off.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The only time I tend to say, or do anything to said riders/runners (other than give them as much room as possible) is when they are being total *kitten*, riding in the center of the lane (making it impossible to safely pass them on two-lane roads).

ETA: Don't do this. It makes people angry. Angry people are prone to doing stupid things. They are in something that weighs 20x what you and your bike do. That, plus angry and stupid, could equal runner/rider dead.

I'm sorry. I believe the law gives you the right to the lane on a bike. At least in California, it does.
    Most riders would not hog the center of the lane if so many angry drivers weren't so impatient to squeeze thru. I cannot tell you how many times drivers have passed mere inches from my handle bars, when they could have been more polite and waited to swing out into the other lane a bit to give the bike room.
    Talk about pissed. You might be 15-20 seconds late because I am in the center of the lane. I might be maimed or dead because you are so inconsiderate.
  • ElleMuffin
    ElleMuffin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    CATCALLS! it doesn't matter what you're running in, how crazy your hair looks or what shape you're in. It seems like there are a bunch of guys hanging around the park for no other reason than to make you uncomfortable/unsafe.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A-holes, teens. You repeat yourself.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I get heckled walking my dog, because I have a small dog. He's a Chihuahua and French Bulldog mix that weighs about 12 pounds. So yeah, it's not "manly" to have a small dog.

I have an 18 lb French Bulldog/Chihuahua mix. I only get stopped so people can pet him and ask what breed he is. I'm a woman so there is a different attitude.

I tend to do most of my walking out in the hills so I don't have to worry about it too much. The worst things I've dealt with was ATVs and they usually stay on their side. I sometimes have to deal with horses but since I usually have a dog with me they give me a lot of room. Horses can spook for the weirdest reasons and a dog can set them off.

Speaking of horses. One night I was out on a backroad and an Amish carriage was coming towards me. The horse crossed the center lane of the road and was coming for me! I had to slam on the breaks, skidded the tires and prayed to God that the dad was able to stop it. Good thing dad was driving because around here 7 year olds drive those carriages and if they had been driving, I'd be dead now.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I hate when you have the "walk" sign as a pedestrian to cross the street but people don't even look and make right on red turns. A few times someone almost hit me!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It happens. I got the occasional "Move it fat-@$$" when I was in the USA. In Korea, people try to take pictures with you or just stare until you're out of sight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I hate when you have the "walk" sign as a pedestrian to cross the street but people don't even look and make right on red turns.

Me too, but the question was whether you have gotten heckled. ;) About crosswalks, motorists tend to look for walkers, not runners, so expect to be invisible if you run across.

OP - try wearing camo clothes & hat. See if that gets you more respect. :+1:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Happened to me today when I was out on my bike for a long ride. It's really frustrating that people have to be such a-holes. Sounded like a carload of teens. I shouldn't have let it bother me but it makes me feel like crap that people have to be that way especially when I'm trying to do something good for me.

What exactly did they say? How do you know they weren't cheering or just talking about something else?

Who can tell? I've never been able to discern what any of them are saying. Like I said earlier ... they all look like dogs with their heads out the window and gums flapping in the breeze! :lol:

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    One word
    Headphones! At least for runners .
    I run on a trail behind my house. Mostly people walking there dogs or running. Pretty quiet. But I am self conscious I wonder what are they thinking. But then again fu)k them
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've not really been heckled but have had a couple of teens try and impress their mates by starting to run alongside me. I'm faster than I look like I should be though - so just ask them if they can keep that pace up for 10K then accelerate!

Not been heckled on the bike but been cut-up by drivers plenty of times. Quite often catch them in traffic as well - and have a quiet chat...
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Here in france they are very respecful of cyclists, i wouldnt understand them if they shouted at me anyway !
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Here in france they are very respecful of cyclists, i wouldnt understand them if they shouted at me anyway !

I've always enjoyed cycling in France. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    I've not really been heckled but have had a couple of teens try and impress their mates by starting to run alongside me. I'm faster than I look like I should be though - so just ask them if they can keep that pace up for 10K then accelerate!

Not been heckled on the bike but been cut-up by drivers plenty of times. Quite often catch them in traffic as well - and have a quiet chat...

You ditched teenagers who were inspired to run by you? :'( I always liked it when one of the little girls in the neighborhood would happily go all "hiiiiii" whenever she'd see me rounding the corner. Almost makes me want to take up jogging again. Almost :bigsmile:
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    You ditched teenagers who were inspired to run by you? :'(

I think you're getting the wrong impression - I should have said youths and it was more along the lines of "lets get a selfie with the fat person who's trying to run" while laughing at me with their mates!

• runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was on my bike the other day and I had a truck behind me give me a hard time. I was in the right lane waiting for the light to go green. When I pulled up there was no one behind me and then he pulled up. I'm on a road bike with all my gear so it's obvious that I belong on the road. He honked at me and I ignored it. He inched closer to my back tire and I stood my ground. No way was this *kitten* going to chase me off the road. As the light went green I admit I took a few extra seconds to move forward, I did have to clip in after all :D As I pulled away from the intersection I was sure to let him know I thought he was number one in my book LOL Most people are very decent and understand we have to share the road but some are just d-bags! I also run but I've not had major problems with people when out running.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    never been heckled but have been run off the road or passed within inches (usually rednecks in pickup trucks around here doing that *kitten*).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Op- I'm sorry this happened to you. I know it sucks and can be upsetting.
    But just know this- these types of things will happen no matter what you weigh or what you look like.
    I had hecklers when I was obese and hecklers when I was thin. Some people are just mean spirited jerks. They would've laughed at anyone who happened to be running by that day. Ppl show off in front of one another and say stupid things sometimes. Don't let these things deter you from achieving your goals. Get some headphones and continue to work out.