Alcoholic or Foodaholic

Options
18 yrs old, about to start college, and my parents are convinced I have a drinking problem because I gained weight. I have to lose or no more booze.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    DO you have a drinking problem? It might pay attention to that before you go to college.

And if you want to appease your parents, start a weight lifting program to trim up. It will appear like you've lost weight and you'll look great besides.
  • toeyconway
    toeyconway Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often but it's always excessive and ends with puke.

Weight lifting is so intimidating considering I know nothing about it and can only bench a bar. But I would like to fix my posture and I heard lifting can help.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You could have a drinking problem then if you can't moderate. How about Alcoholics Anonymous and a gym membership?
  • toeyconway
    Options
    Well I've taken Zoloft for 6 months now and am not sure if the weight gain is due to that, drinking, or eating unhealthy. But either way I need to lose weight if I don't want my parents to worry.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    toeyconway wrote: »
    I don't drink often but it's always excessive and ends with puke.

This pattern of behavior indicates a problem.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You could have a drinking problem then if you can't moderate. How about Alcoholics Anonymous and a gym membership?

I second this ^^^^!!
  • Lunchbox5216
    Lunchbox5216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a foodaholic.
  • toeyconway
    Options
    I can't figure out which one is worse lol they can both kill you and ruin your life.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Alcohol definitely. You can live a long fruitful life without alcohol. Food, on the other hand.....
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You can have more than one destructive behavior. Are there any underlying issues that are unresolved and for which you're using food and alcohol as coping mechanisms? Perhaps speak with a therapist at least a time or two?
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Check all meds for side effects & work with your doctor. The drinking pattern you describe can quickly get out of control. Alcohol & drugs are an equal opportunity for addiction - it doesn't matter how old, young, your ethnicity, social status, gender, skinny, fat, or sexual preference - none of that matters - If you think you have a problem - get real honest with yourself
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely both. Haha. I dont think you're an alcoholic yet, just young. Good luck anyways! :blush:
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    OMG, bit of an over reaction here. She is 18, there are tons of 18 year olds who het drunk and throw up. It is a phase and will die down. Try not to binge drink as it is more damaging than leasurily enjoying a drink and eat healthy. If you are drinking every day then yeah, get help..but if it is once in a while you dont need "therapy"

The reference to Zoloft didn't clue you in that there may be more to the story?
  • rubypearfrench
    rubypearfrench Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm everyone should take themselves to an aa meeting once in their life it's a very interesting experience , I supported a dear friend through this journey she is still drinking and I'm not so go figure at 46 years old with a history of puke drinking and quiet the party animal I decided it was time to stop , I lift weights and you can't really make gains if you are recovering from a hangover and I feel much better for it .
    At 18 I think you have a bit of puke ahead but I think if you care enough about your parents opinion to post then you will probs be ok stay safe if you drink make sure you drink a lot of water between drinks and live your life it's about to start my love but maybe think about lifting weights or finding something else that you might like to offset what's not so healthy , u can't out train a ad diet though wish I new then what I know now , excersise also really helps with depression so may help you with the Zoloft aswell , blessings my young friend
  • johnnyb620
    johnnyb620 Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can't drink alcohol, though, nothing to boast about. I have a genetic condition which inhibits me from metabolizing alcohol. My body lacks an enzyme which is needed to effeciently break down alcohol. So basically I gotta stay away from alcohol consumption or else I can potentially die from it. But anybody can die from it if taken in excess, and then theres the psychological aspects of it. Point is, there's really nothing posture that comes from alcohol. Stay away from it if you can. But if you can't, just be responsible, or else....DEATH!!! (Just kidding)

"Lose or no more Booze" put that on a tshirt...lol
  • joeneely71
    joeneely71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am in recovery and - after many ups and downs, starts and stops - will, by the grace of God, achieve four years of sobriety soon. I say that not to brag but to establish that I understand the struggle. Your problems cannot be solved in a public forum like this. While AA could be a part of your recovery - I attend several meetings per week and am a supporter of the program - you likely need professional help. Good luck and God bles
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Is the whole 'not drinking often but excessively when you do' just being an 18 year old?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Um, she's 18. Not that binge drinking is ok at any age, but who wasn't doing this at that age? She doesn't necessarily need AA.
    OP-do you feel you need to lose weight? Can you limit the alcohol? If not, then stop. You don't want to go down that path. The overeating? Stick around here to learn how to make healthier food choices.
    I'd be more concerne about drinking while taking Zoloft. Do you see a counselor?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    OMG, bit of an over reaction here. She is 18, there are tons of 18 year olds who het drunk and throw up. It is a phase and will die down. Try not to binge drink as it is more damaging than leasurily enjoying a drink and eat healthy. If you are drinking every day then yeah, get help..but if it is once in a while you dont need "therapy"

Nope...dunno what it is...

Brexit explained in one post
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Nope...dunno what it is...

Brexit explained in one post

What? Is the girl British or American? US has a problem with over prescribing anti depressants whereas the UK not so much. I dont know the full story and am not an expert on anti depressants...but I didnt recommend therapy your precious little princess

Strong opinion combined with lack of Google skills or, more accurately in the case of Brexit, a delayed use of Google. It's a joke, Jake. Seems to have touched a nerve. lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Um, she's 18. Not that binge drinking is ok at any age, but who wasn't doing this at that age?

Me, my daughter, many other people I know. It's not a right of passage or anything... ;)