Disheartening creep

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I got on the scale this morning and I am not happy. Ok, I realize it's just one day and my legs hurt and I'm close to ovulation and probably retaining water like crazy, even though I've been way under my goal the last couple days... but still.

The weird thing is that I look my thinnest yet... yet the scale was 8 pounds over my lowest (which was 2 years ago), and 2 pounds over my weight from 2 months ago. Has anyone had that happen to them? Weight going up but apparently not gaining fat... I'm not actively lifting or anything so I highly doubt it's muscle.

Oh well I suppose it's the kick I needed to really get back to a deficit, even though it's been very hard the last few months as I still tend to be very hungry :( And to stop ignoring the scale (which is rough as I really tend to retain water like crazy and it depresses me at times).

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I got on the scale this morning and I am not happy. Ok, I realize it's just one day and my legs hurt and I'm close to ovulation and probably retaining water like crazy, even though I've been way under my goal the last couple days... but still.

The weird thing is that I look my thinnest yet... yet the scale was 8 pounds over my lowest (which was 2 years ago), and 2 pounds over my weight from 2 months ago. Has anyone had that happen to them? Weight going up but apparently not gaining fat... I'm not actively lifting or anything so I highly doubt it's muscle.

Oh well I suppose it's the kick I needed to really get back to a deficit, even though it's been very hard the last few months as I still tend to be very hungry :( And to stop ignoring the scale (which is rough as I really tend to retain water like crazy and it depresses me at times).

Don't let the number on the scale override what you know to be true. What RoxieDawn said.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    The scale is a lousy measure of anything but weight once you're fit.
  • Francl27
    edited July 2016
    CipherZero wrote: »

Yeah I'm starting to think that, too. Gained 8 pounds in 2 years (probably less obviously if retaining water) now but measurements are smaller. It's just that I suffered from so much denial when gaining, I don't want to go through that again!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If you feel thinner then that's a great sign, maybe just don't get hung up on the scale? (I know, its not easy to do)

If you want to see a lower number, you know what you have to do.

I feel thinner too lately and my rings have got looser but the scale is staying much the same, albeit at the lowest end of my range.

Perhaps with TOM due and your leg soreness those are masking your true weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    It's very clear you have EXTREME nature week symptoms because you mention it quite often. I'd be willing to bet that this is just another one of those temporary blips due to your outrageous period.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »

Yeah I'm starting to think that, too. Gained 8 pounds in 2 years (probably less obviously if retaining water) now but measurements are smaller. It's just that I suffered from so much denial when gaining, I don't want to go through that again!

Let me put it another way: My bottom weight was 156.6 lbs. It's currently 185lbs. My waist size hasn't gone up at all, and I still fit into the same medium shirts I did thirty pounds ago. The difference is the muscle mass I've put on.

I'll reiterate: Once fit, scales measure weight; if you want a better idea of what's going on, look at body fat measures such as calipers or DEXA scans.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    OP I'm right there with you, I saw my lowest weight in years on Saturday and yesterday and today I'm 3lbs up, TOM will arrive by Saturday so... That's to blame :s
  • Francl27
    You are all making me feel better! Still going to be more careful from now on though!
  • gatorbait70
    gatorbait70 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm about in the same boat. I can probably attribute a couple pounds to water weight from TOM but I have gained legitimate weight too. I lost 52 pounds last year and it's creeping back on, probably 7-8 lbs but I'm working out harder. I'm jogging for the first time in 20+ years and feel fit. I can hike up and down hills with no problems and fit in the same clothes. However, I have to be honest that my eating habits haven't been the best lately, so I'm back to logging my food. I knew maintenance would be difficult. It's good to catch the gain early and address it but don't be hard on yourself.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Give it a week or two and if that "disheartening creep" doesn't diminish: reign your calories in slightly...What's great it that if it is indeed a calorie count issue: you already have the tools right at your fingertips. You got this!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 429 Member
    Sounds like time of month fluctuations, but would be cautious of pre-packaged foods or high sodium content (diary not open) but would contribute to additional retention as well. Hydrate~hydrate...

• mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    If you are around your cycle, yes it could be water retention. If you are just 2# over yet you look thinner, you could be gaining muscle and your fat % may have gone down. Check your fat % with taping or with calipers.

Just a thought.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    lol ^^
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    I've been doing better the last few months with not allowing the scale to get me down. I know I've been putting in the work, but I just need to remember to trust the process and to keep going.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I find creeps disheartening too. Just remind yourself they are people and probably don't realize how creepy they are.

Hahaha love this!

I think it's great that you're recognizing that you might need to start to think about taking some action soon.

Your TOM probably IS playing a role, so I'd probably make sure to check again after it's over and done with and see where you're at.

If you're still a bit heavier than you'd like to be, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to calorie restrict again for a while. One of the reasons people gain weight back after a loss is because they let 5 lbs become 10, which then becomes 20, and it snowballs from there.

I know a lot of people make "catch weights" or "action weights" for themselves- maybe you could pick a number that if you reach it, you say "alright- no ifs ands or buts, I gotta do something starting now". I think this allows for normal fluctuations, but also is a way to sound alarm bells before things get too far.
  • Francl27
    Yeah I'm pretty much trying to go back to a half a pound a week deficit. Did great this week, but PMS is going to start soon so I'm not holding my breath! I've been trying to lose more for 2 years, just having a really hard time with it, obviously... but I think I'm more motivated now to try harder... I'm just hungrier so I basically can't afford any treat if I want to lose. It sucks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Yeah I'm pretty much trying to go back to a half a pound a week deficit. Did great this week, but PMS is going to start soon so I'm not holding my breath! I've been trying to lose more for 2 years, just having a really hard time with it, obviously... but I think I'm more motivated now to try harder... I'm just hungrier so I basically can't afford any treat if I want to lose. It sucks!

Maybe a fresh approach might be better if you have been trying without success for two years?
    Every day deficit when you are already feeling hungry is hard.

There's lot's of other ways to create a deficit.
  • Francl27
    sijomial wrote: »

Maybe a fresh approach might be better if you have been trying without success for two years?
    Every day deficit when you are already feeling hungry is hard.

There's lot's of other ways to create a deficit.

Can't exercise/move more than I already do!