Bulking

Options
Hey guys I'm currently on my first ever bulk, I've put on 12 pounds in 4 and half weeks so going good! But I want to find out, are there certain workouts I should be doing during my bulk, if so what are they?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    well if you are trying to bulk up and gain muscle/size, you should be doing some muscle building workouts, there are specific programs you can follow. Otherwise if you are just surplus eating without lifting you will just get fat. You should have some specific goals and that will determine what workouts you should be doing.
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah that was my question, I asked "what workout should I be doing" and you didn't answer though
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well you should be training heavy, hitting all muscle groups, with a progressive overload. What are you currently doing? You really shouldn't just bulk without a training plan.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kayemali wrote: »
    Yeah that was my question, I asked "what workout should I be doing" and you didn't answer though

And you didn't answer what your goals are. Strength? Hypertrophy? Both?
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm currently on my first ever bulk, I've put on 12 pounds in 4 and half weeks so going good! But I want to find out, are there certain workouts I should be doing during my bulk, if so what are they?

What are you bulking for? To gain muscle, or just to gain weight?

If your bulking to gain muscle, you're bulking WAY too much. At this rate, you're gaining more fat than anything, especially if you're looking to put on muscle and not just fat.

At best, a male can gain maybe 1/2 a pound of muscle a week. The key to a good bulk is to eat enough to maintain the muscle you have and just enough to feed muscle growth without over feeding.

If you can tell us more about your goals and what you're doing at the moment, this question would be easier to answer.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

what is it you are trying to acheive? then maybe someone can point you in the right direction.
  • jordanwilliams321
    jordanwilliams321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If ok your bulking then make sure your workout has lots of volume 5-6 sets with 12-15 reps but add 1-2 exercises which is focusing on strength too!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Have a read of the routines posted in the link below, choose the one that meets your goals. Eat at maintenance +250 cals for a clean bulk.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p4
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You should have had your workout plan already established at the time you began your bulk. And by definition, it should be a hypertrophy program.
  • kayemali
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

If your bulking to gain muscle, you're bulking WAY too much. At this rate, you're gaining more fat than anything, especially if you're looking to put on muscle and not just fat.

At best, a male can gain maybe 1/2 a pound of muscle a week. The key to a good bulk is to eat enough to maintain the muscle you have and just enough to feed muscle growth without over feeding.

If you can tell us more about your goals and what you're doing at the moment, this question would be easier to answer.

My goal is to gain weight Aswell as muscle, I am the naturally skinny guy, so want to gain, I'm new to the whole bulking, I am eating clean as I don't want to dirty bulk, people saying about hypertrophy, I don't know what that is.

For workout outs,

chest exercise I'm doing heavy weights with small weights as my chest needs to grow.

But as for every other workout I'm doing 4 sets or 10 reps, just to give you a picture roughly of what I do at the gym!

So I'm thinking should I be doing less reps and heavier weights for all workouts?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

My goal is to gain weight Aswell as muscle, I am the naturally skinny guy, so want to gain, I'm new to the whole bulking, I am eating clean as I don't want to dirty bulk, people saying about hypertrophy, I don't know what that is.

For workout outs,

chest exercise I'm doing heavy weights with small weights as my chest needs to grow.

But as for every other workout I'm doing 4 sets or 10 reps, just to give you a picture roughly of what I do at the gym!

So I'm thinking should I be doing less reps and heavier weights for all workouts?

Dirty bulk doesn't mean "dirty food" - whatever that is.
    It refers to a very fast rate of weight gain, it came about decades ago when people started taking naughty drugs.

Think clean = slow (minimising fat gain), dirty = fast (maximum speed of muscle gain but downside is you will get very fat).

You are eating too much and your training is haphazard by the sound of it.

If you don't know what hypertrophy is then Google will tell you!

Get your goals sorted out, get your training on point and then bulk would be my suggestion. You will just be a fat guy doing curls otherwise - sorry.
  • kayemali
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

For workout outs,

Dirty bulk doesn't mean "dirty food" - whatever that is.
    It refers to a very fast rate of weight gain, it came about decades ago when people started taking naughty drugs.

Think clean = slow (minimising fat gain), dirty = fast (maximum speed of muscle gain but downside is you will get very fat).

You are eating too much and your training is haphazard by the sound of it.

If you don't know what hypertrophy is then Google will tell you!

Get your goals sorted out, get your training on point and then bulk would be my suggestion. You will just be a fat guy doing curls otherwise - sorry.

Cheers for the Advice, although I've put on quite a lot of weight fast, I don't feel or look like I've put on a lot of fat, when I weighed and measured myself a week ago I had 10% body fat, and today, I've put on about half a pound in a week, so it's really slowed down but I'm eating the exact same amount!