Running on treadmills is boring

Options
2»

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    audiobooks or podcasts are what I would use rather than music - that way you are following a story. But right now i'm running outside and don't listen to anything apart from the noise of the world. I have my regular runners and walkers to say hi to, and at weekends I run aimlessly through the woods so my pace is constantly changing as I am side-stepping puddles or rocks.

It's the constant pace that kills me with a treadmills. Get outside if you can. When it gets darker and colder I'll be back in the gym switching to Stronglifts 5x5 with only runs at the weekends.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Any tips for longer distance running? I can't seem to stay on the treadmill for more than 20 minutes, if I'm jogging/running I get tired and need to stop if I'm walking I just get plain bored lol. Any tips so I can stay on the treadmill longer?? I would love for 3 miles to be my normal run. Can't seem to get past 2 miles and that's like a good run for me.

Did anyone mention that running outside isn't boring? No? Well let me tell you.....

ETA: Seriously. I don't even use headphones. So much entertainment outside. You can do a 4 hour run and never be bored.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Run outside?

For me the only thing that helps on the treadmill is to run intervals. I am playing more attention to the time left in the interval than I am to how long I've been on.

+1 Treadmills bore me to death (I'll use mine in winter if there's freezing rain but that's about it....) have you considered running/walking outside?

As to increasing your distance it's simply a matter of being consistent and building up gradually (and probably slowing down a little). When I started running I could barely get around the block with thinking I was going to die, now I run half-marathons and Olympic distance duathlons (it'll be triathlons if I got off my butt and worked on my swimming....)

Patience & consistency are your friends.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I watch TV series. Game of Thrones is the best,nothing like watching an arm or something get lopped off to distract one from treadmill boredom.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Any tips for longer distance running? I can't seem to stay on the treadmill for more than 20 minutes, if I'm jogging/running I get tired and need to stop if I'm walking I just get plain bored lol. Any tips so I can stay on the treadmill longer?? I would love for 3 miles to be my normal run. Can't seem to get past 2 miles and that's like a good run for me.
    Don't run on a treadmill? Or if you don't have a choice, run intervals on the treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Outside for me, not only are treadmills boring but I tend to get a little dizzy after a while.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    At my advanced age, I'm still and outside dog and only use treadmills in cases of inclement weather.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can run a 5k easily outside, I can only run like half a mile on a treadmill because it's so boring and makes it so much harder. I can also run faster outside.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is more fun but since it'll be 101 today when I leave work, I'll be inside watching TV or a movie. Action movies, if you like those like Die Hard help alot too. I realized that in the cinema room at Gold's Gym (when I used to go), if a good movie is on I could watch it twice without realizing how much I was doing or how long I was on :p
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    I can run a 5k easily outside, I can only run like half a mile on a treadmill because it's so boring and makes it so much harder. I can also run faster outside.

Ditto. I run and train for half marathons. I love long distance running, and have become pretty good and just running, and running, and running. An hour and a half run goes by painlessly and pleasurably. Put me on a treadmill however and I just cannot run with the same speed or tempo that I can outside. Running a 5K on treadmill might as well be a marathon if you ask me. Kinda makes me want to cry too.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I read on my tablet on the treadmill, which a lot of people think is batkitten crazy, but it works very well for me. I just increase the font size a bit and go to town. It was a godsend over the winter when I was training for my first half marathon and stuck inside a lot (I live in a harsh northern climate with limited daylight in winter and in a very urban area where I don't usually run outside at night for my own safety.)

I love it though, I get a ton of uninterrupted time to plow through novels and I'm capable of staying on the treadmill for two hours with a good book.

Audiobooks are a good option too, and storyline apps like Zombies, Run! that play you short segments of episodic stories with your music between. It's very motivating to me to finish a "mission" or whatever, plus then I can kind of tell "oh, two segments left, I'm almost done", which is helpful.

I also always throw a towel over the numbers so I can't watch them tick by. Helps me a lot mentally.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is my guilt free TV time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i save a series to watch on my phone. i don't allow myself to watch the series unless i am on the treadmill.
  • MommaRaven
    MommaRaven Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i save a series to watch on my phone. i don't allow myself to watch the series unless i am on the treadmill.

This is exactly what I do. Currently binging on RuPaul's Drag Race, but only when I'm running.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Winter time only.. binge watch Netflix shows. I have to run outside or I am not happy!

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Podcasts are great, too. I can just listen, no screen to watch bouncing around, but my iPad is the best for that stuff. Phone is too small...