ideal v realistic eaters / feel worse about myself

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Now *I* feel guilty, because I happen to have kale often! ;) But it's also not unusual for me to have 300 calories worth of chocolate or ice cream, so there you go! Sharing diaries with friends is a wonderful thing. I have discovered so many interesting and yummy things in them! I also completely ignore the stuff I have no interest in :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Kale is for suckers... :D

I eat what I like. And 0% of it is organic.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Why are you so concerned about what other people are doing?

So much this.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Kale is for suckers... :D

I eat what I like. And 0% of it is organic.

I guess that makes me a sucker. I love kale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I've been looking at other people's food diaries for inspiration & practically feel food shamed.

Everybody seems to be eating organic this, wheat grass that, 1/2 tsp of dressing on a bowl of kale salad,.

I'm never gonna eat that. Ever, no matter what.

My diary contains food I bought at my local grocery store. It includes the bad stuff. Yes, I ate chips yesterday. I had several drinks at a party over the holiday weekend & pigged out at another BBQ.

I had a smoothie for breakfast today but many of you would probably tell me I had 2 based on the portion size. Fine. It's still better then the can of regular Pepsi & a donut I had for breakfast every day for the past 20 years. My plan for lunch today is a Greek yogurt & a granola bar; again a major positive change from the pizza & McDonald's I've regularly eaten. For dinner I'm planning grilled chicken breast, an ear of corn (yes, with butter) and maybe a baked potato, again with butter & a sprinkle of salt & pepper. That has always been a pretty typical dinner; I'm just paying attention to the size of the chicken & how much butter I use, plus drinking water not wine.

I think I'm improving but parts of this site make me feel WORSE about myself because I'm not eating perfectly.

How do I find diaries & people I can relate to more?
    I eat ANYTHING I want. Last night I had Panda Express and the day before KFC. It all comes down to CICO when it comes to weight loss.
    All the "clean" eaters are eating more nutrient dense foods, but once someone's met their RDA's, eating extra of it won't give someone extra credit or make them "healthier".
    Balance is what you should look for. I only turn down foods I like if I know it's going to really exceed my calorie intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat organic this or that...just eat a balanced and overall nutritious diet...make sure you're getting your veggies in (pro tip, it doesn't have to be kale)...eat a couple servings of fruit daily...eat some whole grains and lean sourced protein and get some good fats...and enjoy your chips...they don't magically undo all of your nutrition.

Also, you need to look at your diet as a whole over time...don't live in singular days. I went buck wild on the 4th (actually the 3rd)...all the BBQ with all the fixin's...about a 6 pack of beer and 4 shots of tequila...I nursed a nice little hangover on Monday but otherwise I'm no worse for the wear and back to my normal daily.
  • StarryJD
    StarryJD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ps I eat kale sometimes because I like it. I only eat things I like :). Let's not judge people harshly on their food choices.
    Sometimes I eat organic food too. I have kids and sometimes that's what I choose to buy for them and in some cases I think it tastes better.
    Once again, different things work for different people and we can all learn from each other.
    I know I sound like a hippy here :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I like food, healthy food, gourmet food, "bad" food, food food. I do think it's important to feed your body good stuff to make it run better. Food with vitamins and minerals and proteins and fats, and I think that there is room in most everyone's diet for some junky stuff too. I would not eat mostly or all low-nutrition foods, but eating some isn't going to hurt anything. Eating too 'clean' is not healthier, in my view. Just like everything else, your body is stronger and more resilient if it is sometimes challenged, it's good to be able to handle eating a piece of cake without negative effect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest that 1/2 tsp dressing on a kale salad is less than ideal...a lot of people don't actually know about nutrition and that on it's own is pretty lacking in many areas...so I really wouldn't use that as an ideal approach to nutrition.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think you are zeroing in on what you perceive as the perfect way to eat. We are all unique and you need to find what works for you. BTW I hate kale.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you feel you have overall improved your eating habits and if you are reaching your goals through your current plan, then why are other peoples' diaries making you feel bad? Do what works for you and if it stops working, adjust.
  • letthetrexout
    letthetrexout Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, it does come down to eating what you actually like to eat without putting any shame on the food type. If everyone were to be assigned the exact same diet, the world would be super boring (and grumpy). Everyone's tastes are different, and that's a-ok and even worth celebrating.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don’t share my diary, but, believe me, it doesn’t include a ton of healthy stuff.

Most mornings for breakfast, I have a breakfast sandwich from the local coffee shop that includes an English muffin, egg and cheese (280 calories). Lunch is usually leftovers from last night’s dinner and dinner is whatever was quick when I walked in the door from work. Usually, it’s something like boneless chicken, veggies and a side dish of some kind. If you took a look at my snacks, you’d think I was a four year old as they usually include stuff like rice krispy squares, granola bars, goldfish crackers, string cheese, etc…

In spite of that (or perhaps BECAUSE of that), I’ve lost 41 lbs over the last 6 months. This is the first ‘diet’ I’ve been on that I could actually eat food that I liked and wanted to eat and not feel like I was eating what I was ‘supposed’ to eat. So, I don’t feel deprived and that makes this almost easy…Almost! lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I think I'm improving but parts of this site make me feel WORSE about myself because I'm not eating perfectly.

How do I find diaries & people I can relate to more?

What makes wheatgrass and kale 'better' than bbq and yogurt and smoothies and corn and potatoes? Don't compare yourself or your diet to others. Statistically we are all likely to fail at maintaining weight loss. Eating foods you don't enjoy is not going to help you beat that statistic.

Pffft, I've kept my weight loss running for years. Clearly, everyone just needs to consume sausage, eggs, cheese, fatty fish, and lots of Coke Zero. I can show you the waaaaaay.

No? Nothing? /sadface

Congratulations. That doesn't change the statistic. "Most" and "all" are not synonyms after all.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    My dairy is public! You're welcome to peruse and see the good, the bad, and the ugly. Monday was good, until it wasn't. Oops. But I log it an move on. I had a cuban sandwich for lunch and some peaches. I'll get on the elliptical tonight to burn off a few of those bites. I live by the IIFYM (if it fits your macros), though I don't really adhere to the proportions that MFP gives me. If you are reaching your goals eating the way you are now, there isn't a reason to change it, period.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal weight yet, but I've managed to lose 40+ lbs so far by eating whatever I want. I've never bothered with organic, and I only eat the fruits and veggies that I truly like. Broccoli is love, broccoli is life :heart:

I don't eat that differently - I'm mainly VERY cautious about how much and what I eat, and I'm always looking for low-cal alternatives because I like to eat a lot, volume-wise. I work around my normal eating habits: light or no lunch and a nice, hefty dinner.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like kale. In kale chip form, so it's basically just there to hold the oil, salt and spices together. Lol.

I start most days with a couple of fried eggs on toast. Lunch is often cheese and crackers. I try to get the veggies in at dinner. Most days there are cookies.

Last year I lost 35 pounds eating like this by keeping a close eye on portion sizes. I took a bit of a maintenance break but have started logging again this week. I could use a couple new pals for motivation :)
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I look at those diets and look at the "4 hours of exercise" and I ask myself "can they sustain this?
    Personally I can't, so I do my 1hr a day 6 days a week, eat normal food within my calorie allowance (mostly) and am focusing on the rest of my life, focusing on creating forever habits.
    ...I put Bailey's Irish Creme in my protein yesterday. (I was getting ready for bed).