Sweet potato recipes

Options
Starting to use sweet potatoes as a good carb source. Any recipe ideas my friends?

Replies

• Breezyy32
    Breezyy32 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try sweet potato fries really enjoyable I prefer them to most regular fries
  • BuffDaddyG
    BuffDaddyG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    mash them up, bake them like a regular potato, I add in spicy flavors rather than the sweet on sweet that many do... chipotle chili powder, jerk seasoning, or cayenne work well.

Cut them up and oven roast them them drizzle on a little balsamic vinegar.

Boil them in some stock and puree them into a soup or add other veggies and seasoning to make stews (add in parsnips, carrots, and other root veggies)

They go well with black beans and chorizo (you can use soyrizo if you wish), or polish sausages.

they're wonderfully versatile.
  • BuffDaddyG
    BuffDaddyG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    mash them up, bake them like a regular potato, I add in spicy flavors rather than the sweet on sweet that many do... chipotle chili powder, jerk seasoning, or cayenne work well.

Cut them up and oven roast them them drizzle on a little balsamic vinegar.

Boil them in some stock and puree them into a soup or add other veggies and seasoning to make stews (add in parsnips, carrots, and other root veggies)

They go well with black beans and chorizo (you can use soyrizo if you wish), or polish sausages.

they're wonderfully versatile.

That sounds incredibly good! I use cayenne in everything, so the spicy and sweet combination sounds great. I heard of one recipe were you can slice them thin, coat lightly with seasoned salt and bake until crisp. Add salsa on the side for dip. I definitely like the sound of mashed sweet potatoes though
  • lillie22
    lillie22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cube into 1" prices with skin still on. Toss in olive oil and light salt/pepper. Bake on foiled cookie sheet 375 for 50ish mins (or until bottom sides are slightly crispy.....so freaking good!
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cannot wait to pick up mashed sweet potatoes from TJ's. One ingredient; sweet potatoes. First diced cauliflower now this. Yes!!!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I steam them with sweet kabocha pumpkin/squash and blend together (or just eat separate).
  • chey365
    chey365 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Rinse them and put them in the crock pot on high for 4 hours. You don't have to add water or poke holes in them. Not really a recipe but a cooking method. They are so tender and delicious this way. Maybe add a little salt and butter.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them thinly, coat in olive oil, garlic, and rosemary and bake them til they are crispy.....ohhh yum
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mashed - just ate it 10 minutes ago.
    A bit of salt, a bit of maple syrup. A sprinkle of smoked paprika. A bit of skim milk.
    I wash the potato. Poke 3 knife cuts into it. Microwave for 8 minutes. Let cool. Take skin off. Mash with strong fork.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am experimenting with a "spiralizer" and tried a recipe that uses spiralized sweet potato with chicken and spices for a sort of tortilla-less fajita. I and my husband rather liked it:

Foil-Pouch Sweet Potato Noodle Chicken Fajitas
    http://inspiralized.com/foil-pouch-sweet-potato-noodle-chicken-fajitas/
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I use thinly sliced sweet potatoes as a substitute for pasta. I use them in lasagna, spaghetti, or anything where I would use normal potatoes. I also use them for potato soup. Check on Pinterest for other healthy ways to use them.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Also cut up and grilled, or made into chunks, wrapped into aluminum foil, and grilled or baked for about 35 minutes.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Smoky sweet potatoes! One of my favorite side dishes. Try these: http://www.budgetbytes.com/?s=sweet+potato
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Baked in oven and sprinkled with cinnamon & cayenne and if I need more fats I add tsp coconut oil.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Diced and baked with olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I add some salt after their cooked for a nice sweet/salty flavor. So yummy.

Definitely going to be trying some of the other ideas here too!