Dreaded Soda

Options

Replies

• rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    I wasn't notified of any of the replies!! Oops. I love everyone's input and I greatly appreciate it!!

I enjoy tea without sugar!! Don't get me wrong, I also love sweet tea and drink it when offered. But I'm not even tempted to add anything to tea I brew myself.

For a little while I was only buying single bottles. But then I was going in daily and possibly buying other junk. Ended up being pricey and a poor deterrent.

I may get some sparkling water -- I know it's sweetened with some less-than-healthy things, but maybe it'll help ween me off!!

And I have considered drinking diet. The few times I had it in the past, it was awful tasting to me. Though I think it was diet Coke I had. So perhaps I'll give Dr.Pepper and Sierra Mist a try as well. c:

Diet Coke is DISGUSTING. Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper are much better.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You might be craving sugar. Try eating some sweet fruit and maybe also try drinking cordials instead - dh has switched Dr pepper for elderflower cordial and found that he prefers it, and it's helping his hayfever. Rose's lime cordial is good too - actually has nutrients in it and its history is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose's_lime_juice?wprov=sfla1

Edit: spelling
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same problem. I only drink three drinks: water, coke, and beer and I find it very difficult to stop drinking two out of the three. When I want some flavor I drink Poweraid Zero. I'm sure the chemicals in them are bad for me but at least I get some flavor without the calories.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I honestly never got the big deal. I would much rather have a candy bar or a piece of cake. Besides it's only like 150 calories for a can which isn't a big deal if you only drink one. Sure it's not as healthy as a banana and it's useless calories but, everyone has a vice. Just drink one? Make it your after work snack like some people do with beer when you will enjoy it more?

for those of us on 1200 or so calories a day, 150 is quite a chunk out of that. I tend to drink diet dr pepper , coke zero vanilla or cherry and diet root beer.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but in Canada, President's Choice makes a great sparkling water that comes in lots of fruity flavours - 0 calories, sweetened with a bit of stevia. I love Pepsi - hate the diet stuff -so I'll treat myself to a regular one if I'm in a restaurant once in a while. Can't keep it in the house.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Seltzer is what I usually drink. I found I couldnt take the sugar substitute they use in diet soda/juices. It just has such a weird after taste for me
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Lacroix. Has the fizz, no sugar and no artificial sweeteners.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's so strange how sweeteners are seen as unhealthy in the US, when I lived there I was told diet drinks are cancer in a bottle and that they are worse than smoking!

Go Zero or Max. I can easily go through 6 litres a week at a grand total of about 10cals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Diet soda.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Beer
  • Jlo121804
    Jlo121804 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have aspartame in them which are proven to cause a host of cancers as well as keep you addicted to the sugar substitutes! Try LaCroix water and infuse it with fruit overnight!
  • kurt581
    kurt581 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Buy Fit Aide
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Jlo121804 wrote: »
    Diet sodas have aspartame in them which are proven to cause a host of cancers as well as keep you addicted to the sugar substitutes! Try LaCroix water and infuse it with fruit overnight!

Nope, and nope. Fearmongering.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    And I have considered drinking diet. The few times I had it in the past, it was awful tasting to me. Though I think it was diet Coke I had. So perhaps I'll give Dr.Pepper and Sierra Mist a try as well. c:

I've been drinking only diet sodas for decades now, and I can say this:

1. You get used to the taste over time, and after a while regular soda tastes too sweet
    2. Diet Coke is the worst of all diet beverages. Pepsi Max / Pepsi One are pretty good if you're into cola, Diet Sprite or Sierra Mist (which I think has been rebranded) is good, Diet Sunkist if you like orange.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Beer

h7kvrqvpr4dp.jpeg
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Jlo121804 wrote: »

Not only completely wrong, but also idiotic. If aspartame was proven to cause 'a host of cancers', it wouldn't be thrown into our drinks.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hubs was all about regular coke until he started trying to lose weight too. He hates diet coke but says he really can't tell the difference with zero...

I do diet coke or diet dr. pepper - the latter I can't even tell the difference from regular dr. pepper
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, good to know I mainly chose a TERRIBLE diet soda choice!!

I have never heard of Lacroix, so I will look it up!

I also thoroughly appreciate the aspartame discussion. That is something I've heard several ways and the links are very informative!!

I'm on a 1250 Cal budget, and it's rather hard to have just one soda a day. If I can wiggle it down that far I think I'd through a party to be honest!

However the next time I'm at the store I'll try a diet Dr.Pepper and Coke Zero, see if either strike a chord to satiate the craving.

You guys are all very wonderful. ^u^
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    Diet soda is actually worse for your body. Yes it can help your weightloss but its bad for you.

No
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When I first switched from regular soda to diet the one I found to be the least 'diety' tasting was Diet Mt Dew Code Red. I know some people suggest Diet Dr Pepper, but I can't stand Dr Pepper so it wasn't an option for me. Granted, I switched at least fifteen years ago. I don't even know if they make Diet Code Red anymore. And as someone else already stated, my taste buds also adjusted to diet as the years went by. Diet colas no longer taste gross like they did when I first started switching.