Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anybody ever get heckled while running or biking?

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    They were teens! They'll heckle anyone for anything. It means nothing. I've not been heckled, but I've had several people I don't know stop me and tell me how proud they are of my effort!

Hi
    I have had similar things, I have had people jogging past me as I am doing my walking comment, Doing Good or Looking Good.

As I see it there are good and bad people out there, You just need a mental kill file and ignore them. They are not happy with their lives and want to spread that around to feel better themselves IMO.

Cheers
    Roger
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    CMB1979 wrote: »
    It happens. I got the occasional "Move it fat-@$$" when I was in the USA. In Korea, people try to take pictures with you or just stare until you're out of sight.

That sounds sweeter than move it fat @ss! :smile: Maybe the gawking reaction isn't completely sweet and innocent over there in Korea but I'd prefer it over the sound of shouting insults. :pensive:

True. I prefer it over the Georgian (country not state) way of people saying "Don't you know you're quite fat" because they were trying to help or thought I wasn't aware. Random strangers haven't shouted names at me since I left the USA in 2010.
  • tmac8902
    tmac8902 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow, that is ridiculous! Some people just plain suck! It's all about their insecurities and self doubts defiantly nothing to do with or about you.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    I used to run at night when it was dark so people wouldn't see me. Even then in my hick town, full grown men would drive past in their junky old crummy 4x4 and yell things like "RUN FATTY!!" at which point they got the double fingers!! Another time after I stopped running at night because it scared me too much, during an early morning run... I was running with my dog and she was leashed around my waist a guy said "Oh poor dog!!....that's f@cked up" He got a stern "mind your own FN business" then a very dramatic recoil and OMG reaction when I actually ran past and smelled him (he had been drinking A LOT the night before). He was horribly embarrassed that I had heard him (I had headphones in) AND called him on it.
    People like that think you aren't going to question them on how they are treating you, when you confront their poor and abusive behavior they really don't have much more to say.....go figure?
  • BlondeTheHardWay
    BlondeTheHardWay Posts: 48 Member
    Oh Jesus yes! I had one very trim pretty lady examine how my hips hung over the edge of a chair by a couple inches. I asked her if she had lost something ( like her mind). My hips now hang over a whole lot less! I was 272 not too long ago. 231 is real progress. 175 will be my goal. You know, it would have been nice if she could seen past whatever her mental block was and give me a compliment. I'm not at all bad looking!! Nice hair. Great face. Talented. Easy to be friends with and tolerant.....to a point. Hey...let's all get out there and be strong in our convictions to get healthy. The stronger we are the Less the Jerks will hurt us!
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Oddly enough, I never get heckled when riding on the road. We have a great bike path here, and occasionally I've been heckled by the spandex clad racing bikers (Who actually aren't supposed to be doing time trials on the path anyway...it's for recreational riding, not speed riding). It's my pet peeve when cyclists heckle other cyclists.

That said....if anyone wants to be friends with an old, slow cyclist, I'd welcome a request! :)

That type is why bicyclists catch so much prejudice from drivers around here. The Lance Armstrong wannabes tend to be so discourteous when riding on the road and ignoring traffic laws that their reputation smears everyone on a bicycle.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    JohnONE29 wrote: »
    Yes, I was called Fat-Boy back in 2012 while running. I went on to lose 100 pounds through running. But even still, I still get heckled by teens every once in a while.

I've been tempted to yell, "Run Fat Boy!" a few times, but I didn't because I didn't know those people and they might not understand/appreciate my twisted sense of humor and back-handed camaraderie.

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Oddly enough, I never get heckled when riding on the road. We have a great bike path here, and occasionally I've been heckled by the spandex clad racing bikers (Who actually aren't supposed to be doing time trials on the path anyway...it's for recreational riding, not speed riding). It's my pet peeve when cyclists heckle other cyclists.

That said....if anyone wants to be friends with an old, slow cyclist, I'd welcome a request! :)

Sounds like the Arlington loop where I live. Awesome paved trails. Great for biking and walking... until Lance and company come blowing through. I've seen so many cringe-worthy near misses. Really takes some of the fun out of it!

• Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Oh yes, heckled all the time. I don't think it even matters if you're fit or out of shape. Hecklers just heckle. I was heckled at 100lbs over weight, and I'm still occasionally heckled now that I only have about 20lbs to lose. It bothered me at first, but then I got angry and decided I was doing this for me, not them, and I refused to give them any significance on my radar.

Now it wouldn't bother me in the least. I love what I do, I love being outside, and now comments (positive or negative) don't affect me in the least.
  • cschafer2016
    cschafer2016 Posts: 9 Member
    The only times I want to yell at bikers are when they insist on riding abreast and block the lane. That really irritates me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    JohnONE29 wrote: »
    Yes, I was called Fat-Boy back in 2012 while running. I went on to lose 100 pounds through running. But even still, I still get heckled by teens every once in a while.

I've been tempted to yell, "Run Fat Boy!" a few times, but I didn't because I didn't know those people and they might not understand/appreciate my twisted sense of humor and back-handed camaraderie.

as long as you're not riding around with a spatula in your hand saying "I'm the coach...."
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I've only been heckled by my neighbor (a good friend). He yells "You don't have to run! They're not chasing you anymore!" every time I go past his house. I always yell back "Yes I do! The 90 pounds I lost is always trying to find me!"

Oh, and the birds like to heckle. There's a flock of turkey buzzards on one of my routes that like to circle overhead. I didn't think I looked that bad...
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    I have been yelled at by teenagers and by what I assume were drunk guys (sitting in their front steps at 7am on a Saturday) - both while walking and while biking.

If a car simply honks 1-2 times the driver may be attempting to be courteous and signalling that they are going to pass. Apparently there are places were the rules of the road require using the horn that way. It doesn't stop it from startling the heck out of me, knowing it is meant as courtesy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Happened to me today when I was out on my bike for a long ride. It's really frustrating that people have to be such a-holes. Sounded like a carload of teens. I shouldn't have let it bother me but it makes me feel like crap that people have to be that way especially when I'm trying to do something good for me.

They're kids...I've had kids heckle me and I'm fit...they're kids, who gives a rats *kitten*? They're just a bunch of morons...
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I was with friends once and I think someone tried to heckle us- they shouted "you dropped something!" but when we looked no one has dropped anything.....
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Coming back to this topic I had a truck full of men follow me for over 2km two days ago while I was running. Heckling and harassment of runners and cyclists isn't just dumb kids, some of these idiots are adults with issues :/
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Coming back to this topic I had a truck full of men follow me for over 2km two days ago while I was running. Heckling and harassment of runners and cyclists isn't just dumb kids, some of these idiots are adults with issues :/

That's incredibly irritating and scary. Jagoffs. I would have stopped for their plate numbers and called the police.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    laur357 wrote: »

That's incredibly irritating and scary. Jagoffs. I would have stopped for their plate numbers and called the police.

I don't do cell phones (I'm that weird person lol) or I would have. I actually had to cut my run several km short because I was getting towards a remote area and didn't trust that these guys would back off. And that is really *kitten* given that our trails system which I love is crawling with bears atm- can't run trail without worrying about getting eaten, can't run the roads system without worrying some guy is going to be actually crazy :(
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I hate when you have the "walk" sign as a pedestrian to cross the street but people don't even look and make right on red turns.

I actually beat on the hood of cars about to do that. Bang! Look, I am here! Not hard, but enough to get their attention. Have never gotten any angry anything, just either a nod, or oops look.
    I'm not mad, I have done the same thing before, looked left because that's where the cars are coming from and forgot to look right to see if anyone is crossing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I remember once when I was about 16 or 17 years old my buddy and I were driving down the road and saw this lady running...he honked and I said something obnoxious and mooned her...because I was just an immature 16 or 17 year old who thought he was funny.

You can't sweat this kind of stuff...

True...but the OP stated it was a bunch of kids...

Also, a truck full of men following you over 2km isn't heckling...heckling is yelling out some stupid obnoxious thing and giggling like a bunch of school kids and mooning someone...there's a huge difference here.