Does hot weather make you retain water?

Options
I feel like I can't get rid of excess water weight now that it's gotten hot outside! I'm exercising & staying under my calorie limit but the scale will not budge!

I lost over 40 lbs a few years ago & have been pretty much maintaining except I'm going wedding dress shopping in 2 wks so I'm trying to lose 5lbs and nothing! I'm very used to monitoring myself & my intake & I really feel like the scale should be at least a few pounds lighter.

Does hot humid weather make you weigh a little more?

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do bloat somewhat on our rare hot days. I tend to notice it most around my hands and feet, though. I end up with toes like sausages and hands like a bunch of bananas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    only if you're not properly hydrating...otherwise, hot weather tends to release water...ie. you sweat like a mofo...but if you're not properly hydrating you will retain water.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I properly hydrate. Always drink like a fish and even more when it gets above 20C!
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So maybe my body's
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    only if you're not properly hydrating...otherwise, hot weather tends to release water...ie. you sweat like a mofo...but if you're not properly hydrating you will retain water.

Yeah you would think its the opposite! So maybe my body's holding onto water because I'm not drinking enough?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I call it sausage fingers. On hot days i bloat so much my hands hurt.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes. The combo of heat and humidity makes me retain fluid regardless of how much I drink. Staying well hydrated helps to minimize it, but it doesn't prevent it completely.
  • Jlo121804
    Jlo121804 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It totally makes you retain water! Drink lemon water a bit too - that helps flush out toxins and helps you "deflate"! What foods are you eating?
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's not just me! I never really noticed it this much before. I'm eating lots of fruit and vegetables since I heard that helps too.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I retain water when it's hot out. Doesn't matter how much I drink, though. It's like my body is preparing to sweat more later...
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Not for me. In temps 100-120f everyday. I do drink a lot though. 1gal+ /day.
  • Ffiffion
    Ffiffion Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have early signs of rheumatoid athritis which flares up in extreme weather, like when it's snowing or blazing hot outside. No matter how much I drink, if it's humid in the summer, I can barely move my hands as they swell up so much and sometimes I can't even get my rings on, which are slightly too big on normal days. It does it with my mother who has rheumatoid arthritis and to my grandfather who has gout so we've put it down to that so maybe it's worth going to check your joints but some people do retain water when the weather changes so make sure you're drinking enough and maybe your doctor can prescribe something to help it
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I have chronic RA and as in Ffiffion's experience, I am more prone to flare ups in hot weather. My disease is well managed, but even before my diagnosis 14 years ago, I've always been someone who retains water in summer. Summer has never been my favourite season - my hair gets frizzy and wild, I look puffy. I got married in November in part because there was no way I'd do a summer wedding. I'm a Fall person!

The other problem I find with RA is that retaining water puts pressure on the joints - so I'm always achier. If I eat a carby or salty big meal, I retain extra water the next few days, and also feel achier overall. You'd think that would stop me, and yet.
  • kerrylrk
    kerrylrk Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I let my self eat over the weekend as we had several family get togethers, and I could feel my body retaining... Sure enough the morning of the 4th I was up 9 lbs. today that weight gain is down to 2.2 lbs which I totally believe after all the unclean eating I indulged in! I was floored though that I was retaining more than 6 lbs of water!!!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Jlo121804 wrote: »
    It totally makes you retain water! Drink lemon water a bit too - that helps flush out toxins and helps you "deflate"! What foods are you eating?

So what toxins does lemon water flush out?
  • Jlo121804
    Jlo121804 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Processed foods filled with chemicals, pesticides that are contained in your veggies, etc., for me I notice less bloating. lemon water isn't a miracle worker but it's health benefits are def of value to the human body
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Any you think lemon water can get those things out of your body, when your highly developed, efficient liver and kidneys won't? And I hope you're using 100% organic lemons, or whoops, more pesticides!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Any you think lemon water can get those things out of your body, when your highly developed, efficient liver and kidneys won't? And I hope you're using 100% organic lemons, or whoops, more pesticides!

Even if they are organic, there will be pesticides. "Natural" pesticides, as opposed to synthetic ones, but pesticides nonetheless.

OP - I do retain more water when the weather is particularly hot. Some of it can be offset by increasing fluid intake, as well was watching sodium and carbs, but unfortunately some of it will be out of your control. For a few days before you go dress shopping, increase water intake, watch the sodium and carbs (dont necesarily need to go low carb, but eating more protein, fat, and fiber for a few days can help you retain less), and try to stay as cool as possible.

Congrats, btw!

• JBCDDP6
    JBCDDP6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes it can, but my advice? Stop focusing so hard on the scale. The scale is just a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. Which is just how much gravity is needed to keep your feet firmly planted on the earth. It does not measure flexibility, stamina, lost inches, improved complexion, etc etc... Just make sure you drink enough water to help your body offload that excess it's trying to hold onto and try not to stress out so much. Chin up! You'll get there.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Jlo121804 wrote: »
    Processed foods filled with chemicals, pesticides that are contained in your veggies, etc., for me I notice less bloating. lemon water isn't a miracle worker but it's health benefits are def of value to the human body

That's nice but you still did not name the specific toxins that your liver and kidneys cannot cleanse out of your system, but lemon water can. I have some questions for you to answer if you can:
    • What chemicals in processed foods and pesticides in veggies, etc. require lemon water to cleanse your body?
    • What toxins cause the bloating that lemon water alleviates?
    • What properties of the lemon/lemon water cause this detox to happen?
    • Do you grow the lemons out of your own home to ensure they don't have toxins? Even organic lemons contain pesticides and bottled organic lemon juice is still a processed food.

• NicoleB82mfp
    NicoleB82mfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do bloat up in my legs during hot weather