How in the world?!?

Options
Is it even possible to gain 5 lbs over 24 hours?! I did really good on my diet the week before the 4th, I even lost 3 lbs. On the 4th of July I ate about 2300 calories, my target is 1800. But I burned 3200 calories that night during workout to burn off the calories, stepped on the scale the dsy after the 4th and weighed even less! I get on the scale this morning and am 5 lbs heavier!!! I'm so frustrated. It's like every time I lose the 5 lbs, it comes back over night. I'm extremley bloated and wondering if it's just the sodium? Is it really possible to gain 5 lbs of FAT in less than 24 hours?!

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate a calorie burn of 3200 calories?
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It could be TOM water retention or something else that would make you retain water like a sodium heavy meal since it's not possible to gain 5 lbs of fat that quickly.
  • toddsamantha15
    toddsamantha15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I track everything with fitbit and myfittnesspal
  • OliviaKelly401
    OliviaKelly401 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yea probably your cycle. I gain lots of weight right before...
  • MarissaBlevins220
    MarissaBlevins220 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too hard, just keep doing your thing. When it's a trend after a few weeks then maybe get concerned...? my weight fluxuates between 4 or 5 pounds, up or down. Just keep going, I chalk it up to water weight and other unavoidable factors.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I track everything with fitbit and myfittnesspal

To put this in perspective running at 9km/h for an hour would burn under 550 calories for me

If your BMR is say 1400 (guess) you would have to be highly active to give you a base state of 2000 plus intense long cardio workouts for hours to get that kind of burn ....don't believe the numbers unless you have proof over 8 weeks that you are on average hitting your weight targets

That said 5lbs overnight is water weight give it a few days it will drop
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My bladder can hold 5lbs (I know it's a bit weird to know that but hey!)
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    3200cal, marathon? Half iron man?

That's about 4 hours of working out pretty damn hard. So unless you did something similar here's your problem
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible to gain 5 lbs over 24 hours?! I did really good on my diet the week before the 4th, I even lost 3 lbs. On the 4th of July I ate about 2300 calories, my target is 1800. But I burned 3200 calories that night during workout to burn off the calories, stepped on the scale the dsy after the 4th and weighed even less! I get on the scale this morning and am 5 lbs heavier!!! I'm so frustrated. It's like every time I lose the 5 lbs, it comes back over night. I'm extremley bloated and wondering if it's just the sodium? Is it really possible to gain 5 lbs of FAT in less than 24 hours?!

No, you didn't gain fat.

Unless you're very heavy and very active it's doubtful that you have a tdee of 3200.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, don't worry about the 5lb, it's not possible to gain fat that fast, it's water and it'll go in a few days. I gained 5lb in water last weekend because of a strenuous hike, it's been dropping off since and that's the last of it gone today. That heavy workout you mention is probably the cause.

However I agree with others that the burn you have calculated is not realistic, can you give us more detail on what you were doing and for how long?
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had a 8 lb weight gain this weekend. Was totally bummed, even though I knew it was water. It messes with the mind. I didn't go over calories and while I didn't do my normal exercise routine, still did some. I did eat foods I normally don't eat, especially crabs and dipping in old bay. Talk Sodium overload. Lol. Stepped on scale after the 8 lb increase and was gone. Was shocked it went that fast.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    An increase due to eating extra carbs or salt can go away very quickly, in my experience - as soon as you go back to to your normal eating pattern, bam, it's gone. Increase due to heavy exercise takes longer, as it's part of the healing process. I've seen it take up to a week. In the case of an actual injury the water is going to be retained until it's fully healed.

I know it can mess with your head, but try not to worry about it. It's just your body doing its best to take care of you.
  • toddsamantha15
    Options
    scoii wrote: »

That's about 4 hours of working out pretty damn hard. So unless you did something similar here's your problem

I actually did work out for 3 1/2 hours.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

What did you do for 3 1/2 hours?

But no, it isn' tpossible to gain 5lbs of fat in 1 day.
  • toddsamantha15
    Options
    Yes, don't worry about the 5lb, it's not possible to gain fat that fast, it's water and it'll go in a few days. I gained 5lb in water last weekend because of a strenuous hike, it's been dropping off since and that's the last of it gone today. That heavy workout you mention is probably the cause.

However I agree with others that the burn you have calculated is not realistic, can you give us more detail on what you were doing and for how long?

I worked out for 3 1/2 hours. Stationary bike, eleptical and tredmil. Maybe the numbers are wrong. It's just what fitbit said
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I worked out for 3 1/2 hours. Stationary bike, eleptical and tredmil. Maybe the numbers are wrong. It's just what fitbit said

Any particular reason why?

I am not against long sessions of cardio when training for a specific goal but if you are exercising at that length simply to lose weight, I would caution against it.
  • toddsamantha15
    Options

What did you do for 3 1/2 hours?

But no, it isn' tpossible to gain 5lbs of fat in 1 day.

Eliptical, tredmil, stationary bike.

Maybe the numbers are wrong, but that's what fitbit calculated
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You could run a marathon and not burn 3200 calories.
    Scales are inaccurate, weight flucuates, fitbit overestimates. Forget about it.
  • toddsamantha15
    Options

Any particular reason why?

I am not against long sessions of cardio when training for a specific goal but if you are exercising at that length simply to lose weight, I would caution against it.

No reason, but to burn calories. Iv lost 90 lbs since last june and it's the only way I feel better after eating extra calories