Am I eating too much fat and protein??

Options
jameela798
jameela798 Posts: 22 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I started a low carb, high fat diet 6 weeks ago and I lost weight only in the first few weeks. Since then I've gradually been putting the weight back on. I've still been avoided consuming carbs but someone mentioned yesterday to me that I could be eating too much protein! Is this correct?
Protein comes mainly from meat am I right? So basically I'm eating too much meat! I thought meat was one of the best things for me to eat? I'm so confused now. Also is it correct if too much protein is consumed it turns to sugar??? Also I'm struggling with my fat consumption. I'm finding myself eating high calorie foods to get the fat amount required daily, I think I've got myself into a rift ! Advice much appreciated!!

Replies

• jameela798
    Options
    But how do I get the fat I need without eating high calorie good?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jameela798 wrote: »

What fats are you eating? You have to work them into your calorie allowance.
    Can you open your diary so we can see what you're eating?
  • jameela798
    Options

Ok I thought as much. I'm defo consuming too many calories.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    People can get very dogmatic about macros, some will say you MUST eat low fat or low carb or a certain amount of protein or whatever. Pay it no mind. If you want to lose weight, eat less. It's as simple as that.

Macro goals exist for various reasons but are completely optional (unless they're doctor's orders). Eating fewer calories than you burn is the only thing necessary to lose weight.
  • jameela798
    Options
    Ok thanks. I appreciate everyone's replies it's all so daunting. I just want to lose weight the correct way doing this healthy eating plan but I'm struggling with high calorie foods. I just do t know how to get more fat I my diet without eating the high calorie foods!! X
  • jameela798
    Options
    I started a low carb, high fat diet 6 weeks ago and I lost weight only in the first few weeks. Since then I've gradually been putting the weight back on.

So, you are probably eating too many calories. Do you weigh/measure your food and track that in MFP? If not this is the first thing to fix. Whatever ratio of carb/fat/protein you eat at you still need to be in calorific deficit to lose weight.
    I've still been avoided consuming carbs but someone mentioned yesterday to me that I could be eating too much protein! Is this correct?

Unless you have a medical problem it is unlikely - but still possible- that you are eating too much protein to cause ill health. But, if you are eating too much of anything, carbs, fat, protein you will gain weight.
    Protein comes mainly from meat am I right? So basically I'm eating too much meat! I thought meat was one of the best things for me to eat? I'm so confused now.

Yep, a common source of protein is meat. Many foods (eggs, dairy, nuts, and lentils) contain significant amount of protein.
    Also is it correct if too much protein is consumed it turns to sugar???

No. Too much Protein, Carb or Fat will be converted to and stored as fat.
    Also I'm struggling with my fat consumption. I'm finding myself eating high calorie foods to get the fat amount required daily, I think I've got myself into a rift ! Advice much appreciated!!

What is your carb protein and fat goal? A good rule of thumb is 9, 4, 4.
    • 1g fat is 9 cals
    • 1g of protein is 4 cals
    • 1g of carb is 4 cals.

So, if your daily target is (for example) 80g of fat you will be using up 720 cals just hitting that target. If at the same time you decide you need 120g of protein you will use 480 cals of your allowance on that (1200 per day so far). If your target cals is 1500 you have 300 cals spare to eat as carbs (which equals 75g).

But all this makes it sound very complicated and it really isn't. Keep it simple and concentrate on hitting your calories on a daily basis for a few weeks. After a while you will begin to see which types of foods keep you fuller for longer and which types you enjoy. Use this to plan your eating habits for life.

Thank u for ur very informative read. X
  • jameela798
    Options
    I now know I've been over eating on calories, so will manage my portion sizes more and fill up more on veg and salads rather than cheese!!
  • justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    KETOGAINS.COM, use there macro calculator and you will be successful!!
  • justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Plus you dont eat more fat to lose fat... That is not how it works. You want your body to burn your fat reserves for fuel. If you over feed it fat the diet is pointless.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its not WHAT you eat, its HOW much, so if you are gaining then you are simply eating more than you think.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I try to eat more fat than protein. It seems to me that if I eat too much protein, my weight loss stalls or weight fluctuates up. My fat consumption is 60 - 70% of my total calories. It keeps me satiated. But, I always, always track my calories and try to keep them in a goal range.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. I appreciate everyone's replies it's all so daunting. I just want to lose weight the correct way doing this healthy eating plan but I'm struggling with high calorie foods. I just do t know how to get more fat I my diet without eating the high calorie foods!! X

Short answer: you can't. Fat, by it's very nature, is more than twice as calorically dense as protein and carbohydrates. If you are a volume eater (only feel satiated after eating a large amount of food), LCHF is going to be a disaster for you, unless you get the eating habits in check.

Some (myself included) have the opposite. It was actually difficult for me to eat enough food when I cut fats out of my diet years ago, which led to me feeling like crap most of the time. I've never been muchbof a starch/sugar fan, so trying to eat 5 lbs. of chicken breast, lean pork loin and tuna per day got old, fast. Therefore, LCHF has been pretty great for me, once I finally understood how math works, and stopped overeating on a daily basis.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

How much fat do you think you need?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds while eating 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein. The pounds came off easily. I felt energetic and happy -- and I liked the food I was eating. I focused MAINLY on my calories - eating fewer than I burned each and every single day.

It's mostly about calories. Don't over-complicate things! :smiley:
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Oh hey, one other thing. I'm also on LCHF, and I spent 2 or 3 weeks fluctuating up and down the same 3 or 4 pounds (even though I was eating under my calorie goals). I finally picked up a tip from a Keto group and figured out that I had to ditch the nitrates/nitrites. I was eating a lot of processed meat (like beef hot dogs, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, etc.) Once I stopped that, I have been steadily losing. I still have days where I end up eating a lot more protein than I planned, but I am still losing weight.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Also, I love avacados and have no problems staying in my macros when I have avocados as my "entrée" in at least one meal of a day. Other options are including plenty of EVOO, coconut oil, butter, cream, etc.