Woken up by a hungry tummy

Options
Every couple of nights or so, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I haven't eaten in twenty years. So hungry that I can't fall asleep again unless I eat something, which frankly sucks - I don't like eating then crawling back in bed. Typically I'll opt for a banana or something similar, but I was wondering if any of you experience this as well and what you do about it. Are there better food options to reach for when I'm woken up by a hungry tummy, or are there preventative measures I can take so it doesn't happen at all? Thanks so much!

Replies

• DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    That used to happen to me, and sometimes, I wouldn't be able to sleep and wouldn't know why. I'd get a snack and go out like a light. Now I have a light snack or small bowl of cereal before bed. Problem gone. Yeah, I know eating before bed isn't recommended, but I like to sleep at least every in a while. :)
  • ellie403
    ellie403 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hate the feeling of being hungry and have absolutely NO willpower! I cave to things like chips or ice cream, so good for you eating fruit! But recently I started the "eat clean" diet - not really a diet, but just eating "clean" in general, upping my protein, and most importantly and I can't stress this enough - eating every 3 hours. Small meals in the 200 to 300 calorie range. I can't even tell you how much it has improved my hunger. I can totally tell a difference, and I do not feel like I am starving myself. I think if you are waking up hungry at night, you probably aren't eating enough during the day - enough of the good clean food anyway. Try it! It might work for you too.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My body heat is higher than normal. I wake up feeling hungry at night as well but I've come to realize that its really another way of my body saying its dehydrated... I keep decaf tea cold/ unsweetened in my fridge at all times to satisfy that craving/ need... and fall back asleep as if nothing happened!
  • Shine4Jesus
    Options
    Yes, if Ieat something high in carbs but not in protein . I sometimes eat cornflakes before I sleep because I do not feel like a regular dinner. S o Iguess it depends on what is your last meal.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I was wondering if it was because I had not eaten all of my calories for the day-particularly when I work out. But I am usually within 100 calories, so I don't think that is it.

I try getting a glass of water, and if that doesn't work (or satisfy me) I also will have a banana and just log it as part of my breakfast. At least I can go back to sleep!
  • alexoftroy
    alexoftroy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Y'all are wonderful, thank you!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I haven't been woken up, but I had a few nights ealy on, where I'd been trying to go to sleep and was just too hungry.
    A few suggestions:
    - make sure you are eating enough during the day.
    - if you are eating all your calories (and your exercise calories) then make sure you are drinking enough water
    - play around with the timing of your meals - would a snack before you go to bed help get you through the night?
    - if all elese fails, I find a few almonds (about 6 or 8) seem to be enough to quell the tummy rumbles and let me get to sleep.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    eat some greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein right before bed..our bodies dont digest protein very well. so it should make you feel fuller longer.
  • alexoftroy
    alexoftroy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :) All of your advice is so appreciated!