Anyone drinking bootea teatox?

Options
I'm only finishing off a 28 box i bought i while ago... just wondering what people's thoughts are on it? :)
Started yesterday, and it's already having an affect, not feeling hungry today!! Lol

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    that's cos it's a laxative

but it's not going to help with weight loss

Well it will make you poo a lot, so you will have a reduction in waste. But it will not affect fat loss by any means and as you come off it, you waste will increase.

Worse case, since it's a laxative, is it can screw up your electrolytes and cause bigger issues.
  • AshleighAnn72
    AshleighAnn72 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    But if it stops you from feeling hungry surely it well aid in weight loss. My biggest problem for losing weight is that I hate being hungry..
  • absinthefaerie
    absinthefaerie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found it quite helpful and my stomach is flatter, on day four now!
  • AshleighAnn72
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Well it will make you poo a lot, so you will have a reduction in waste. But it will not affect fat loss.

When I was drinking this before, i never went to the loo more than usual. (I have ibs, and need help erm going anyway) it's supposed to get rid of all the crap in your system so it allows food to pass through easier.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't think someone with IBS should take a laxative should they? Not without medical input at least.

The lack of hunger is down to placebo or hydration to be honest

And yes psulemon is correct in that it would actually be 'weight' loss cos poo but not fat loss

Nothing wrong with a placebo if it helps you - but fat loss is down to calorie defecit not tea
  • psuLemon
    Options
    But if it stops you from feeling hungry surely it well aid in weight loss. My biggest problem for losing weight is that I hate being hungry..

Then I would question a few things: 1. How much protein are you eating, 2. how much fiber, 3. how aggressive is your deficit (how many calories are you eating), 4. how much water are you drinking and 5. how active are you?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

There are much better methods of managing appetite than by taking a laxative.
    See lemon's questions above.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I will also note, there are a ton of members with IBS and similar autoimmune disorders. So they could easily help you find a sustainable eating pattern within the parameters of your condition.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    The name of that product makes me giggle.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I found it quite helpful and my stomach is flatter, on day four now!

Thats because you are emptier.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Well it will make you poo a lot, so you will have a reduction in waste. But it will not affect fat loss.

When I was drinking this before, i never went to the loo more than usual. (I have ibs, and need help erm going anyway) it's supposed to get rid of all the crap in your system so it allows food to pass through easier.

Yes it gets rid of all the crap (literally all the poop) in your system. It does not detox anything that your liver and/or kidneys do not.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm only finishing off a 28 box i bought i while ago... just wondering what people's thoughts are on it? :)
    Started yesterday, and it's already having an affect, not feeling hungry today!! Lol

My thoughts? It's 100% not necessary to weight loss, therefore it is a wast of money.

All you have to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. That's it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

What crap in your system? Eating fiber helps the food pass through easier (unless you have a medical condition where you have to limit fiber) too.

The reason you are not feeling hungry when you drink it is because it's filling you up. Really, that's all it is. You can drink any liquid to get that effect.
  • AshleighAnn72
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The idea that there is a buildup of *something bad* in your body which is stopping the "good stuff" getting through is very pervasive in the diet and supplement industry, but it is 100% false. Whether you're talking about bowel movements or vaguely-defined "toxins", your body is completely capable of clearing waste products in their entirety, and surprisingly quickly. Any exception to this is a serious illness that is going to lead to hospitalisation - not a vague malaise which can be cured by buying herbal remedies.

Even if you have IBS and bowel problems, there is not a buildup of faeces in your gut which is blocking anything else getting through. Everything is working its way through, whether quickly or slowly, but it's getting through. A buildup or blockage would be a serious medical problem and you would absolutely know about it.

Having said that, getting the guts moving faster is usually good for health, but not by using a laxative (especially not without your doctor's knowledge!) - the usual method is to eat more fruit and veg in order to increase fibre and water in the gut, which keeps things moving more quickly and effectively. Since you have IBS the problem may be more complex and need extra help, but again, laxatives are not the solution. I used to take Fybogel (isphagula husk) and it was pretty effective, but it was on doctor's advice and it isn't a laxative, it's a fibre supplement.

This kind of thing (the teatox stuff) makes me upset because people are being cheated out of money, and possibly out of health, by plausible lies. It is so pervasive that it can be hard to persuade people sometimes that it isn't true, but it isn't. It really, really isn't. It's a scam.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yikes - does your doctor who treats your IBS know that you're taking a laxative tea? It won't do anything for weight loss - but if you really like to poop and your doctor is okay with it then I guess you're free to do as you wish...