Does diet soda make you hungrier?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
I've been drinking diet soda everyday for a couple days now and I feel a lot hungrier than usual the past couple days too. I like diet soda because it helps with sugar cravings for the time being but I obviously don't want to drink it if it makes it worse the next day. But also, I'm getting my period this Saturday so I'm not sure if it's that making me feel hungrier.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Nope. Coke Zero ftw. Nearly every pound I've lost was saturated in the stuff.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    Not me. I actually find that if I am feeling like eating something but not really hungry, drinking a diet soda will fill me up so I am not hungry.
  • st476
    Options
    Nope. Coke Zero ftw. Nearly every pound I've lost was saturated in the stuff.
    No
    I've heard people saying that artificial sweetener caused cravings for more sugar and carbs so that's why I thought it was maybe the diet soda. Maybe I'll keep drinking it and see if I stop being hungry when my hormones fix themselves lol. Thanks!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not me. I actually find that if I am feeling like eating something but not really hungry, drinking a diet soda will fill me up so I am not hungry.

Same for me.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't think the diet soda would cause you to be hungrier per se, but it's really not that great for you, and isn't helping you in any way. I used to drink almost 2 liters of Diet Pepsi a day, gained over 80 lbs during that time. I ditched the pop, all pop, and results became more obvious faster...my advice is do yourself a favor, ween yourself off the pop for better results. Your body loves water, needs water...if you can, I think you should find a way to drink LOADS of water every day ...ps...your sugar cravings should begin to subside after a week or so, too...so win win! :smile: xo
  • st476
    Options
    I don't think the diet soda would cause you to be hungrier per se, but it's really not that great for you, and isn't helping you in any way. I used to drink almost 2 liters of Diet Pepsi a day, gained over 80 lbs during that time. I ditched the pop, all pop, and results became more obvious faster...my advice is do yourself a favor, ween yourself off the pop for better results. Your body loves water, needs water...if you can, I think you should find a way to drink LOADS of water every day :smile: xo
    I don't see why drinking diet soda would make you gain weight, it's zero calories. But I do drink just as much water still. I don't substitute it for water :smile:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I don't think the diet soda would cause you to be hungrier per se, but it's really not that great for you, and isn't helping you in any way. I used to drink almost 2 liters of Diet Pepsi a day, gained over 80 lbs during that time. I ditched the pop, all pop, and results became more obvious faster...my advice is do yourself a favor, ween yourself off the pop for better results. Your body loves water, needs water...if you can, I think you should find a way to drink LOADS of water every day ...ps...your sugar cravings should begin to subside after a week or so, too...so win win! :smile: xo

I don't think you understand how the body handles water. It's not a Roman sewer, where everything mixed together flows to the same place.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    I wasn't saying it made me gain the weight..lol...I must not have been clear..I meant, I still gained weight, even though I was drinking diet soda.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

I don't think you understand how the body handles water. It's not a Roman sewer, where everything mixed together flows to the same place.

Are you suggesting that drinking a fair amount of water every day isn't beneficial?
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    I don't think the diet soda would cause you to be hungrier per se, but it's really not that great for you, and isn't helping you in any way. I used to drink almost 2 liters of Diet Pepsi a day, gained over 80 lbs during that time. I ditched the pop, all pop, and results became more obvious faster...my advice is do yourself a favor, ween yourself off the pop for better results. Your body loves water, needs water...if you can, I think you should find a way to drink LOADS of water every day :smile: xo

Because you ate too much not because of the soda which is calorie free. OP can have diet soda if she so chooses.

Obviously. I wasn't telling her not to, I was suggesting that it isn't actually helping her or good for her. Do you think diet pop is good for you?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Because you ate too much not because of the soda which is calorie free. OP can have diet soda if she so chooses.

Obviously. I wasn't telling her not to, I was suggesting that it isn't actually helping her or good for her. Do you think diet pop is good for you?

It's a drink and the OP's question didn't ask for water advice.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Well thankyou for correcting me. Have a great day :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Are you suggesting that drinking a fair amount of water every day isn't beneficial?

I'm not suggesting anything. Your body separates water from any solids dispersed in it. It doesn't matter if you get your water from soda, food, coffee, or a mud puddle. So long as what's in it isn't acutely toxic, it doesn't matter.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Switching to diet soda has helped me cut 290-580 calories a day. So yea, it can help you.

OP, it doesn't cause me any cravings and in fact, has helped me reduce cravings. Only a small portion suggest they have increased cravings but you have to question if its more psychological, and more related to, "well I am not drinking calories, so I can eat more now, woot!"

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I used to say nope. However now it depends on the soda. I have noticed that the new diet pepsi with sucralose seems to make me want sugary foods. I'm not saying 100% that it's the reason or if it's in my head or coincidence, but I definitely have an increased want for sweets when drinking it here recently. Diet soda's or any drinks sweetened with Aspartame make me less hungry.
    So it could be all in my head, coincidence, or the sucralose. Not sure.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I used to say nope. However now it depends on the soda. I have noticed that the new diet pepsi with sucralose seems to make me want sugary foods. I'm not saying 100% that it's the reason or if it's in my head or coincidence, but I definitely have an increased want for sweets when drinking it here recently. Diet soda's or any drinks sweetened with Aspartame make me less hungry.
    So it could be all in my head, coincidence, or the sucralose. Not sure.

Sucralose has also been fingered as one of the ingredients in Quest bars that cause diabetics blood sugar to spike, so there may be something to that.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't really notice a correlation between drinking it and eating more. It makes me feel kind of sluggish and bloated sometimes so I probably tend to eat better when I'm drinking less of it just because I usually have more of it when I'm being less healthy in general.