Does diet soda make you hungrier?

Options
2»

Replies

• RealRelicVa
    RealRelicVa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are a sugar burner like moi, sugar alcohol > sugar for metabolism. But that's not the same as saying its good for you. So I kinda agree with both points, diet is better than non diet, but water is even betterer. (its not a word but you know what I mean ;)
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not me. I actually find that if I am feeling like eating something but not really hungry, drinking a diet soda will fill me up so I am not hungry.

Same here.

The flavor and sweetness will usually get my sweet tooth to quit fussing. The carbonation fills my tummy. And the caffeine helps if I'm feeling "snacky" because I'm tired.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes for me.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I don't think the diet soda would cause you to be hungrier per se, but it's really not that great for you, and isn't helping you in any way. I used to drink almost 2 liters of Diet Pepsi a day, gained over 80 lbs during that time. I ditched the pop, all pop, and results became more obvious faster...my advice is do yourself a favor, ween yourself off the pop for better results. Your body loves water, needs water...if you can, I think you should find a way to drink LOADS of water every day ...ps...your sugar cravings should begin to subside after a week or so, too...so win win! :smile: xo

I don't think you understand how the body handles water. It's not a Roman sewer, where everything mixed together flows to the same place.

Are you suggesting that drinking a fair amount of water every day isn't beneficial?

Yes, water is the best and very good for you but, things like diet pop/coffee/tea/etc still hydrate your body!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think the diet soda would cause you to be hungrier per se, but it's really not that great for you, and isn't helping you in any way. I used to drink almost 2 liters of Diet Pepsi a day, gained over 80 lbs during that time. I ditched the pop, all pop, and results became more obvious faster...my advice is do yourself a favor, ween yourself off the pop for better results. Your body loves water, needs water...if you can, I think you should find a way to drink LOADS of water every day :smile: xo

Because you ate too much not because of the soda which is calorie free. OP can have diet soda if she so chooses.

Obviously. I wasn't telling her not to, I was suggesting that it isn't actually helping her or good for her. Do you think diet pop is good for you?

It's nearly 100% water so I don't see why not. If you're drinking a lot of diet pop, you're drinking a lot of water.

Whether or not that causes extra cravings is up to the individual, and I have heard people say this. It never happened to me though, it usually helped out with cravings and hunger.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nope. Coke Zero ftw. Nearly every pound I've lost was saturated in the stuff.

This. And Vanilla Coke Zero. Awesome stuff.
  • lloydhigginbotham
    lloydhigginbotham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Majority of the time that hunger feeling is actually your body looking for glucose to burn as fuel which we typically give it throughout the day. By drinking diet coke you are tricking your mind into thinking it got a sugar fix but your body knows bettter. If you stick it out long enough and learn the difference between true hunger and lack or glucose stores then that feeling wont be so bad. If you read about intermittent fasting youll find a lot of info on this. Im a devout intermittent faster. Its not for everyone but besides the personal results I got from it I also have learned a lot about my body
  • lloydhigginbotham
    lloydhigginbotham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also try drinking BCAAs to help with sugar cravings. It will not only help with that but it promotes protein synthesis in your body. Just a small tip
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    norie92 wrote: »
    Nope. Coke Zero ftw. Nearly every pound I've lost was saturated in the stuff.

This. And Vanilla Coke Zero. Awesome stuff.

God yes. I didn't even know that was a thing until about a week ago. I had known about Cherry Zero for years, but very few places around here stock the vanilla, which I find to be insane.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No.

You have a cause =/= causation issue at work here.