My biggest problem with dieting is alcohol

Options
I'm not an alcoholic, but I love to have a few drinks on the weekends. The struggle is real lol. I just want to partake like everyone else.

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    White wine spritzer? Half the alcohol and still got the taste and the look.

Or try vodka, a shot in a long drink, you still partake.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For me it's not just the alcohol, it's the food I eat at the same time. Eg last night I had a glass of red wine (not too bad in itself) and half a pack of tuc salted crackers. Aargh! When I stop drinking for a week or two (as I do regularly) I get double the result.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    ..I love to have a few drinks on the weekends.

You didn't specify what type of drinks you have. Beer has several low carb, low calorie choices - Budweiser Select 55, Michelob Ultra, Miller Genuine Draft 64 to name a few, I prefer Guinness and Sam Adams Nitro Coffee Stout, heavy thick beers but decently low in carbs/calories. Straight hard liquor doesn't have any carbs and not many calories/oz but those "empty" calories can add up quickly but 2 shots wouldn't hurt much at all. Mixed drinks can add a whopping amount of calories depending on the drink - I recommend you steer clear of those.

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    make lighter choices, or ask the bar tender to make a fancy-looking non-alcoholic drink for you. OR work it into your macros and enjoy...
  • HeatherAshh
    HeatherAshh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ..I love to have a few drinks on the weekends.

You didn't specify what type of drinks you have. Beer has several low carb, low calorie choices - Budweiser Select 55, Michelob Ultra, Miller Genuine Draft 64 to name a few, I prefer Guinness and Sam Adams Nitro Coffee Stout, heavy thick beers but decently low in carbs/calories. Straight hard liquor doesn't have any carbs and not many calories/oz but those "empty" calories can add up quickly but 2 shots wouldn't hurt much at all. Mixed drinks can add a whopping amount of calories depending on the drink - I recommend you steer clear of those.

I like my cider or Margaritas. The WORST things possible
  • HeatherAshh
    Options
    For me it's not just the alcohol, it's the food I eat at the same time. Eg last night I had a glass of red wine (not too bad in itself) and half a pack of tuc salted crackers. Aargh! When I stop drinking for a week or two (as I do regularly) I get double the result.

I know what you mean!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Shots of Tequila are 80ish calories each. :)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    My fave lower calorie drink at home is whipped cream vodka and diet cherry dr. pepper. Tastes like a cupcake! If I'm out with my hubs I usually get diet coke and captain morgan. It is pretty decent especially if you add lime. MGD 64 is pretty decent beer wise. Though, I like all the bourbon barrel ales/stouts that are 200 calories a pop. That's got to be an active day for me to enjoy one of those!
  • HeatherAshh
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    My fave lower calorie drink at home is whipped cream vodka and diet cherry dr. pepper. Tastes like a cupcake! If I'm out with my hubs I usually get diet coke and captain morgan. It is pretty decent especially if you add lime. MGD 64 is pretty decent beer wise. Though, I like all the bourbon barrel ales/stouts that are 200 calories a pop. That's got to be an active day for me to enjoy one of those!

Both of those drinks sound awesome!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had to basically give it up for a while to lose weight (it's how I gained it in the first place). I'm really close to goal now and just a few drinks can wipe out my entire week's deficit. It sucks. And, none of those lower-calorie or lower-alcohol options work for me. What's the point if you don't get to drink what you want? (Although that whipped cream vodka/Dr. Pepper thing sounds really good so thanks a ton for yet one more thing I'll probably want to drink! LOL.)
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    whiskey and water! You will look like a bad *kitten* at it is only 70 calories
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Vodka and soda for me.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Meaning zero calorie club soda..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had no problem losing weight while indulging in some adult beverages on the weekends...When I was losing I pretty much switched from beer to straight booze...or I would make these sparkling water vodka drinks with a splash of grapefruit or cranberry or whatever to give it a little flavor...but way less calories than the beer I drank.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm begrudgingly drinking light beer these days, and while I hate myself for it, I'm losing weigh much easier. I could really use a growler of good beer right now . . .
  • HeatherAshh
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I had no problem losing weight while indulging in some adult beverages on the weekends...When I was losing I pretty much switched from beer to straight booze...or I would make these sparkling water vodka drinks with a splash of grapefruit or cranberry or whatever to give it a little flavor...but way less calories than the beer I drank.

Sounds good!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had to switch to diet mixers because I can easily rack up 600 calories in whiskey each day, which is kind of absurd, given my calorie goal is 1800-1900 per day. Of course, drinking 600 calories in liquor is not the healthiest, either mentally or physically, so I've also tried to cut back to only drinking on the weekends; sometimes I have a hard time adhering to this, but set a second goal of only drinking ONE drink on a weeknight instead of, like, 4.

I also try not to have a lot of snack food in the house if I know I'm going to be drinking, because drunk me will DEMOLISH packs of oreos, bags of potato chips, etc, and I can end up with a 4,000 calorie day without blinking.

For me it just really boils down to mindfulness. Do I want to drink because I'm out with friends and being social and having fun, or do I want to drink because I'm bored or had a *kitten* day at work? Did I get in a sufficiently strenuous workout today to burn off the several hundred calories in booze?
  • HeatherAshh
    Options
    I had to switch to diet mixers because I can easily rack up 600 calories in whiskey each day, which is kind of absurd, given my calorie goal is 1800-1900 per day. Of course, drinking 600 calories in liquor is not the healthiest, either mentally or physically, so I've also tried to cut back to only drinking on the weekends; sometimes I have a hard time adhering to this, but set a second goal of only drinking ONE drink on a weeknight instead of, like, 4.

I also try not to have a lot of snack food in the house if I know I'm going to be drinking, because drunk me will DEMOLISH packs of oreos, bags of potato chips, etc, and I can end up with a 4,000 calorie day without blinking.

For me it just really boils down to mindfulness. Do I want to drink because I'm out with friends and being social and having fun, or do I want to drink because I'm bored or had a *kitten* day at work? Did I get in a sufficiently strenuous workout today to burn off the several hundred calories in booze?

Yea, I'm trying just weekends too. And I completely understand about alcohol munchies, they are the worst. No guilt after eating until the morning after lol