Do you use your exercise calories?

Options
Hiya

Im new to all this, and I have been allocated a calorie allowance of 1300 a day. I am exercising lots, and just wondered if you are supposed to use your extra calorie allowance, or just stick to the 1300?

Thanks

C

Replies

• MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're supposed to eat your exercise calories
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Uhm, actually you're supposed to do what works for YOUR body.

You know, since you're a human being, and not a website. [:
  • deisha
    deisha Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you want to do. You may not manage 1300 then all you exercise calories. So just try to find a balance. Try eating a few extra 100 if your feeling hungry.
  • Michelle_H
    Michelle_H Posts: 24
    Options
    Hiya and welcome! :o) I have around 30 kilos to lose (60lbs ish) and I am on 1200 a day. As I need to lose weight I try and keep those 1200 highly nutritious and eat regularly. I aim to burn 500 cals each exercise session and I choose not to eat those as I want the weight gone. If I were to eat those calories I would be pretty much keeping my weight stable which is not what I'm aiming for. Once I reach a healthy weight and my 30kgs are gone, I will do pretty much the same as now but probably indulge a bit more on the weekend, say a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and perhaps a larger portion of dinner or a meal that's richer or have a dessert. That will probably balance things out for the rest of the week as well as giving me something to look forward to.

In the past 6-7 weeks I've lost 17lbs with the method so I'm happy to plod on with it. I guess it depends how much you need to lose and how long you want to take to lose it. I'm sure there'll be lots of differing answers to confuse you with, lol. Best of luck with your new lifestyle.
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i agree with hush. i dont eat mine back because i dont lose weight that way. i only eat a little over my intake. i try not to eat a bunch back,
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi

I personally eat MOST of my exercise calories because I feel like I need the extra energy. You have to find a balance and it depends what works for you. I'm losing weight at a steady pace at the moment and it feels sustainable.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If you stick to your calories you lose weight. It just gives you a leweigh as far as I know.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't very often its the only way I can lose the ilbs, if I eat back my exercise calories, my weight goes back up a bit again. I occasionally dip into them if I need to but on the whole I try not too :smile:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you feel comfortable in doing. I burn over 2000 cals everyday through cycling, and will eat back between a third and half. A weekend club ride (70+ miles) can burn between 3500-4500 cals...so will eat back up to 2000 cals
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to the recommended calories and consider the exercise calories burnt as extra weight lost.
    Also I find that as I am exercising much more my body measurements are reducing but my weight is not reducing as quickly as I wanted. So for me its important for my motivation to take measurments as well as weight.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    For years it has been preached by coaches, calories in calories out. If you have a caloric deficit you will lose weight. As this site shows, so many calories burn up during exercise. Building your muscle will rev up your metabolism which also helps to burn calories. So exercise calories should be retained as much as possible to lose the weight. Then again some are right that the more calories the more weight loss, but also is the food eaten beneficial to your body and weight loss. I eat between 800-1000 calories per day. I am super short but also burn 1000-1300 calories per day. This has caused a weight loss of 23+ pounds so far. Not for everyone but it does work for me till my metabolism kicks in. Pay attention to your body and get informed on what things you can do to attain your goal. It will not be over night and your body will rebel to change. Plateaus can last for 3 weeks but if it stays the same change it up. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a change. If your not seeing the difference then it's time for a change. It takes time especially if you want it to be permenant. For instance, give yourself a year and know this is your new life so you don't give up on yourself. It's easy to get discouraged when you want it now. Lots of people do. But if you stick with it you will see a difference. Sorry I'm long winded. You can do this and we are far more capable of doing what we think we can't, than we percieve we can. May God bless the dilligence of your efforts.:wink:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If I were to eat those calories I would be pretty much keeping my weight stable which is not what I'm aiming for.

This isn't true....

Yes, you have lost weight not eating them back, but it isn't true that eating them would keep your weight the same.
    The required calorie deficit (reduction of calories) has already been calculated in your daily calorie allowance.

So... if you didn't exercise... you would still lose the weight.
    And if you do exercise, you need to eat them back to bring your daily calorie target back to the level as if you hadn't exercised...

The reason for eating the calories back is to feed your metabolism.... to keep it working efficiently....
    You may be losing the weight.... BUT is your metabolism working efficiently?

Have a read of this.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • fit4mom
    Options
    So your telling me that all the trainers who have studied, that I have listened to are wrong. That thier schooling and what they have learned is worthless. This is what works for me. If I ate back all my calories and did not workout hard, I would not and in the past have not lost weight. I think there is something to be said for personal experience and I am one person who has experience in what I am saying. If what you are doing is working for you, great.
    My metabolism is fine. If I eat the calories back I don't lose weight. I have followed the advice I've given and been successful at it. My metabolism does not kick in until I'm down around my goal weight. Doctors have looked at my thyroid and it is fine. I understand if you dissagree with me, it is America so thankfully you have that right. I gave advice upon living proof in my own life. If what you are doing is working for you great. Be well, be blessed.:flowerforyou:
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I personally eat my exercise calories. I have lost 51 lbs since Jan. So, take from that what you will. I do, however, use a heart rate monitor.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I personally eat my exercise calories. I have lost 51 lbs since Jan. So, take from that what you will. I do, however, use a heart rate monitor.

I think that is great! Congradulations and keep up the great effort.:happy:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always eat mine back. My body gets grumpy when I don't.

You have to do what works for YOU.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you've built in a calorie deficit (like one pound a week, for example), then eat them back. I eat most of my delicious exercise calories back, and have had no trouble losing.

But, as almost everyone has written above me, find what works for you. Good luck!
  • LuciaSkinnyJeans
    Options
    Be careful that you aren't eating too few calories, because that is no good for you either. Your body will go into starvation mode and store any of the fat, calories, etc that you're taking in. You'll not be able to retain muscle either (which is a big calorie burner!).

So if you aren't seeing results, try something new (add in 100 calories at a time maybe) - I'd stick to the what works for you, but mix it up a bit to see what works best!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back, but if I am not hungry, I don't force it.