Energy Gels

Options
2»

Replies

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I prefer solids. No discomfort with gels but just didn't get the "full" feeling in the stomach or the quick pickup/rush; however, I only used gels twice, GU banana strawberry and a home formulation. Still tons of the homemade stuff and probably restart experimentation after this Saturday's Death Ride (hope to finish). I hoping it's just a timing issue as I tend not to refuel until I'm 90 minutes to two hours into the ride. It'll be a shame to just dump the rest of the stuff down the drain.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    sport beans they are yummy and you can take one or 2 or a whole handful but as many others have said try them out first.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Okay, so I understand that this would be a good thing from a cost/waste perspective but the thought of what that must taste like is making me shiver all over just thinking about it. I don't think I could stand it, especially not while I'm running and even relatively good-tasting stuff is hard to get down.[/quote]

Two thoughts in reply: 1) If you like honey and molasses flavored cookies or candy, you'd probably be fine. If you don't like those flavors, then I agree its not for you. 2) Just THINK of the psychological edge you'd enjoy when mid run or mid ride, your fellow athletes are pulling out their brightly colored packets of GU, Clif, Hammer Gels, etc. and you whip out a flask of motor oil, take a big swig, proclaim "this stuff is the best", then proceed to leave them in the dust.

That is how legends are born. ;)

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    but started making my own "gel" a few years ago.......3 parts honey, 1 part molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water to thin it. A gel flask is the equivalent to several gel packs, no litter to deal with and a fraction of the price.

+1

Okay, so I understand that this would be a good thing from a cost/waste perspective but the thought of what that must taste like is making me shiver all over just thinking about it. I don't think I could stand it, especially not while I'm running and even relatively good-tasting stuff is hard to get down.

IME, 50 miles into a race almost anything tastes good.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    but started making my own "gel" a few years ago.......3 parts honey, 1 part molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water to thin it. A gel flask is the equivalent to several gel packs, no litter to deal with and a fraction of the price.

+1

Okay, so I understand that this would be a good thing from a cost/waste perspective but the thought of what that must taste like is making me shiver all over just thinking about it. I don't think I could stand it, especially not while I'm running and even relatively good-tasting stuff is hard to get down.

IME, 50 miles into a race almost anything tastes good.

I feel exactly the opposite, pretty well everything turns my stomach when I'm running so I take as little as I can get away with without bonking. Solids are nearly impossible but I can manage a gel if I can immediately get some water to rinse out my mouth.

Two thoughts in reply: 1) If you like honey and molasses flavored cookies or candy, you'd probably be fine. If you don't like those flavors, then I agree its not for you. 2) Just THINK of the psychological edge you'd enjoy when mid run or mid ride, your fellow athletes are pulling out their brightly colored packets of GU, Clif, Hammer Gels, etc. and you whip out a flask of motor oil, take a big swig, proclaim "this stuff is the best", then proceed to leave them in the dust.

That is how legends are born. ;)

I don't dislike either flavour much in theory, but neither of those things are something I would ever consider swallowing on its own, even diluted a bit. To each his own and all, but I just can't imagine not horking it up, lol.

+1

I really enjoy the flavour but I'm also one of those weirdos who likes the chewy Halloween candies...

I'm captain of the Anti-Tootsie Roll club myself, so I'll just assume you're all a little crazy.

This has gotten me thinking about whether I could come up with something homemade that would be palatable, though...I might have to try out some recipes as I really do hate stuffing empty gel packs into my flipbelt as they are always a little sticky somehow...eurgh.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    [
    I feel exactly the opposite, pretty well everything turns my stomach when I'm running so I take as little as I can get away with without bonking. Solids are nearly impossible but I can manage a gel if I can immediately get some water to rinse out my mouth.

I think your approach is favored by most, and that is to take in just enough calories to offset some of the glycogen stores that are being used up during a prolonged event. Also, whenever using a gel, I consume it with water, as it seems you do.

Finally, your comments suggest to me that you might be happier using just liquid fuels. (Hammer Heed/Perpeteum , First Endurance, Infinit performance, UCAN, etc.) Have you tried any of them?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    [

I think your approach is favored by most, and that is to take in just enough calories to offset some of the glycogen stores that are being used up during a prolonged event. Also, whenever using a gel, I consume it with water, as it seems you do.

Finally, your comments suggest to me that you might be happier using just liquid fuels. (Hammer Heed/Perpeteum , First Endurance, Infinit performance, UCAN, etc.) Have you tried any of them?

I don't like to carry liquid with me. On training runs I just stop and buy a bottle of water after about an hour if I need it/am consuming gels, then carry it until it's gone and throw it out, and at races I make sure that the station placement will be enough.

I mostly stick to half-marathon though so I can get by without too much fuel or water (or none on training runs if I'm taking it easy), so it's not a big concern for me right now.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    [

I don't like to carry liquid with me. On training runs I just stop and buy a bottle of water after about an hour if I need it/am consuming gels, then carry it until it's gone and throw it out, and at races I make sure that the station placement will be enough.

I mostly stick to half-marathon though so I can get by without too much fuel or water (or none on training runs if I'm taking it easy), so it's not a big concern for me right now.

that makes sense. fueling is more important at longer distances.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Besides energy gels ( my personal preference is power bar brand banana /strawberry), you might also consider individual boxes of raisins( about same cal/carb/sugar as gels but more natural) or chocolate m&ms for a quick sugar boost