Russian roulette (muscle confusion) challenge!!!!

Options

Replies

• mathewscarlett
    mathewscarlett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you ever heard of maintaining. You can simply maintain your muscles to stay in shape. If your already where you want to be, you dont need progressive overload.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Ok, look at it this way. Complete muscle confusion makes you athletic.

Engaging in athletic activity makes you athletic.

Running until you're a good runner (either for speed or distance) makes you athletic.
    Playing tennis until you're a good tennis player makes you athletic.
    Lifting heavy weights until you can lift even heavier weights makes you athletic.

And muscle confusion still does not even mean what you seem to think it means.

They have done studys on too much running, it will tighten up your muscles, and long distance running is now proven to be bad for your heart. They did a study on long distance runners, and they're left ventrical had 25 % less function, and 10 % of all long distance runners had heart emzymes in they're blood, (scarring on the heart).
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Your body, both mind and muscle catch on very quickly. I know from personal experience, doing the same movements/routine over and over slows or halts my progress. Even if I progressively add weight. So, I constantly switch things up. I may do superset splits for a month, then circuits the next month, and so on. I have progressed quicker than I ever have before, and I'm not new to resistance training. Everyone is different, and everyone has different goals. I think too many people are biased. When you close your mind to something different, you may just be loosing out.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    you ever heard of maintaining. You can simply maintain your muscles to stay in shape. If your already where you want to be, you dont need progressive overload.

1) Even the vast majority of people in maintenance (those maintaining their current weight) still want to improve their strength and/or grow their muscles. It's pretty rare for someone who's actually had any success gaining muscle and strength to say "you know, I'm good right here."
    2) Even if one did want to maintain current muscle mass and strength levels, it would likely require a bigger load than is described in your "muscle confusion" workouts (myself, I'd certainly see a good deal of strength and size loss doing only this workout). They'd have to identify their current abilities and continue to do as much as they can but simply not press themselves any further (I.e. Someone who was barely able to finish 3 sets of 10 at 185 lbs on the bench press would have to continue to do 3 sets of 10 at 185 lbs).
    3) Say a young woman has just started dieting down to her goal weight and wants to start lifting for the first time in order to maintain her muscles but doesn't want to gain any more muscle. Because the muscles will initially respond to the exercise by becoming more efficient (firing the muscle fibers in sync), she will become stronger without any growth for the first several weeks. She will need progressive overload in order to compensate for the newbie strength gains.
    4) The vast majority of people who are happy with their current muscle mass and strength levels will already be limited enough by diminishing returns, genetic limitations and/or lifestyle that their ability to progress will take care of itself.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    www.active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Ok, look at it this way. Complete muscle confusion makes you athletic.

Engaging in athletic activity makes you athletic.

Running until you're a good runner (either for speed or distance) makes you athletic.
    Playing tennis until you're a good tennis player makes you athletic.
    Lifting heavy weights until you can lift even heavier weights makes you athletic.

And muscle confusion still does not even mean what you seem to think it means.

They have done studys on too much running, it will tighten up your muscles, and long distance running is now proven to be bad for your heart. They did a study on long distance runners, and they're left ventrical had 25 % less function, and 10 % of all long distance runners had heart emzymes in they're blood, (scarring on the heart).

What does this have to do with your claim that muscle confusion makes you athletic?
    Are you saying that too much long distance running causing problems for some means that runners aren't athletes?
    Should we alert the olympics that running is no longer an athletic event?

Also, I said "either for speed or distance." What about sprinters? They don't run long distance but they're very athletic.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What is the winning prize ??

I am a cardio lover, I run and I have run until I have become a great runner and I lift weights and I lift until I cannot lift no more weight each day.. so what in the heck do I get out doing this? Besides a major brain muscle headache..

Running is bad for my health now.. urrrrggg And now we are all closed minded.. I am sorry I stepped into this thread now..urrrrgggg again..
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

www.marksdailyapple.com/muscle-imbalances/#axzz4DIba5wiM
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

To much running is bad for your health. And you dont have to do this workout. I simply posted it, but of course they're has to be negative feedback.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Still has nothing to do with muscle confusion
  • Carlos_421
    Options

To much running is bad for your health. And you dont have to do this workout. I simply posted it, but of course they're has to be negative feedback.

No one is talking about too much running except you. Not sure why.

And we're only trying to explain that this workout won't do what you claim it will do. While this may technically be negative feedback it is a positive thing. We don't want people reading this, going "oh! I need to get some muscle confusion to meet my goals!" and then spinning their wheels because muscle confusion is not a thing.

And why do you keep quoting yourself to say something unrelated to what you quoted?
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

Did you read the whole thing. It talks about muscle imbalance. And it talks a lot about isolation and those standard workouts that most people make the mistake of doing over and over. Well muscle confusion helps stop muscle imbalance by constantly switching workouts.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Did you read the whole thing. It talks about muscle imbalance. And it talks a lot about isolation and those standard workouts that most people make the mistake of doing over and over. Well muscle confusion helps stop muscle imbalance by constantly switching workouts.

Muscle confusion does not correct muscle imbalance. Muscle imbalance is when one muscle is stronger than the opposing one. It is fixed by working antagonist muscles to strengthen the weak points.

The concept of muscle confusion is the idea that changing your workout every few weeks will provide better results than sticking to the same plan for months on end. The reality of that is that you simply need to increase effort in some way to keep making progress. If you only ever do 20 push ups daily you'll stop making progress. If you do 20 for a few weeks and then 30, 40, 50, and more then you'll make progress.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Must try

Why?

Its a challenge. Its complete muscle confusion. But if you dont want to then dont. Im just sharing something i know.

I'm trying to get a feel for who you are and why you're suggesting this exercise (going so far as to say people "must try" it, even). Most people come to these forums and engage several different posts. They ask questions. They answer questions. They seek out people similar to them or try to help beginners. But not you. You've only posted on these two posts you started. No introduction. No context. No idea of who you are or what you hope to offer. Nothing.

Why should people try this exercise? You're on a board with everything from record holders to 80-year-old women with arthritis. Which of them are you trying to reach out to? What will this exercise do for them? Trying this program may require them to put their own program aside. Why would this be worth it? Why is this better than a progress lifting program or couch25K or Insanity or P90X or water aerobics or whatever anyone else is doing? Why did you post it here for us? Where did you get it? Did you create this program yourself? Why do you want people to know about this program? Why is it so important to you? Why? Why? Why?

I asked a question in the hope that you could share some more details and hopefully give us some context or a little of your expertise. Why blow me off?

And so I come back around to: why?
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Muscle confusion does not correct muscle imbalance. Muscle imbalance is when one muscle is stronger than the opposing one. It is fixed by working antagonist muscles to strengthen the weak points.

The concept of muscle confusion is the idea that changing your workout every few weeks will provide better results than sticking to the same plan for months on end. The reality of that is that you simply need to increase effort in some way to keep making progress. If you only ever do 20 push ups daily you'll stop making progress. If you do 20 for a few weeks and then 30, 40, 50, and more then you'll make progress.

Thats not the only type of muscle confusion their is.
    Im talking about (muscle confusion workouts).
    And you answered why muscle confusion helps muscle imbalance. By (changing) the workouts you do to strengthen the weeker muscle that are getting neglected.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Study-Schmuddy. Who pays for those? ;)

OP --I agree you may want to create a challenge group. You seem like you want to inspire and get people moving.

Many here are already following set programs to achieve their goals.

Switching it up can help when stuck. For instance, if I was stuck at 20! push-ups for months, I may try other moves to help push me through to 30!
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Must try

Why?

Its a challenge. Its complete muscle confusion. But if you dont want to then dont. Im just sharing something i know.

I'm trying to get a feel for who you are and why you're suggesting this exercise (going so far as to say people "must try" it, even). Most people come to these forums and engage several different posts. They ask questions. They answer questions. They seek out people similar to them or try to help beginners. But not you. You've only posted on these two posts you started. No introduction. No context. No idea of who you are or what you hope to offer. Nothing.

Why should people try this exercise? You're on a board with everything from record holders to 80-year-old women with arthritis. Which of them are you trying to reach out to? What will this exercise do for them? Trying this program may require them to put their own program aside. Why would this be worth it? Why is this better than a progress lifting program or couch25K or Insanity or P90X or water aerobics or whatever anyone else is doing? Why did you post it here for us? Where did you get it? Did you create this program yourself? Why do you want people to know about this program? Why is it so important to you? Why? Why? Why?

I asked a question in the hope that you could share some more details and hopefully give us some context or a little of your expertise. Why blow me off?

And so I come back around to: why?

Im simply sharing a workout. I don't suggest an 80 year old woman do this workout. I suggest a person who is in shape and wanting to try something new to try it. I like to try new workouts myself. And i dont pick the program appart. I just try it. If i dont like it, then i keep my routine on.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Thats not the only type of muscle confusion their is.
    Im talking about (muscle confusion workouts).
    And you answered why muscle confusion helps muscle imbalance. By (changing) the workouts you do to strengthen the weeker muscle that are getting neglected.

The workout you outlined doesn't target the weaker muscles though, it's mostly cardio and randomly shuffling exercises doesn't cause confusion. Most of the popular lifting routines out there do help correct muscle imbalance. They have a nice combination of compound lifts and isolation exercises with appropriate volume built in. They also take into consideration how taxing each lift is on the nervous system, to ensure exercises are done in an appropriate order to aid in growth and avoid injury. They divide the body parts into complementary or antagonistic patterns to provide the best response.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Welcome to MFP, where the only right answer is to eat a little less and to do Strong Lifts.

;) before confusing your muscles, it's good to build a solid strength base. Compound lifting programs can help make the journey less confusing.