Weight and ageing? Is my 'high school weight' goal unrealistic?

Options
Hi everyone!!

I am 5'1 and 120 lbs at 26 years old Im looking into getting back to my 'high school' goal weight of around 105 lbs...but Im wondering if my body even wants to be that low anymore? It was so easy as a teenager because you dont really have to try but after Id say around 20 years old I started slowly gaining weight until now ...I have completely had it. I was closer to 125 lbs about a month ago and Ive slowly managed to lose a few lbs so now im closer to 120 but ugh this is a real struggle lol.

Is it just because my metabolism is getting slower as I age so its not as easy anymore like when I was a teenager?

I just feel so HUGE...I know it doesnt sound like much but Im very small/petite in body structure so even 10 pounds looks huge on me so this extra 15-20 is ridiculous..I have no confidence anymore. Im having a rough week this week and I feel like my goal is impossible because Its been a real struggle lately. I dont want to have to workout every day of my life and count calories every day of my life... Is this just how its going to be as I get older and older because losing weight will become more and more difficult??? Just what the heck is with my body and why does it want to hold onto this weight so bad!

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you were 36 or 46, I'd suggest you took it slowly and constantly re-evaluated in terms of both appearance, how you feel and the effort required. 26 is hardly old, though. Even if 105 is more work than you can muster, if, as you say, 10lb makes a very big difference, then try for 5lb off, with some effort to firm up as you go, then see what you think of the result vs the effort required.

You look petite and curvy in your profile. Firming up without any weight loss might be the way to go.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    trinabot19 wrote: »
    Is my 'high school weight' goal unrealistic?

Most likely.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your body changes when you enter adulthood...and I'm not talking about putting on fat...your body just changes...most likely this is completely unrealistic...you're a woman, not a little girl.

This, exactly!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Your body changes when you enter adulthood...and I'm not talking about putting on fat...your body just changes...most likely this is completely unrealistic...you're a woman, not a little girl.

This, exactly!

^I'm smaller than I was in high school. Our bodies change for various reasons, but it doesn't mean we can't (or that it's unlikely to) be the same weight or size.

I've made it my goal to improve my health every year, fortunately my size was affected by that goal.

That typo of thinking is defeating and makes one feel like, what's the point, or that it's all downhill from here. Not true at all and if you want your goal to be 19% body fat than it IS possible!

Don't let age or any excuse define you :) I'm guessing you won't since you're here to be the best version of yourself!

@msalicia116

It depends on where you come from. For some being the same size or smaller than high school is possible. Not necessarily for everyone.
    I was very tiny in high school. I developed late. I was still very lean in my 20s bit bigger than high school.

There is no way I'd get back to my high school weight or size.

I'm familiar with anything is possible. Sometimes not even 19% BF is enough to get you back to high school weight. Not everything is possible nor does it have to be.
    dz7l9xiqoc5j.jpeg

Still not even close to high school weight or size.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was 40 years old had 6 babies and was 175 lbs on my Sm frame. I'm 5'6" and that was the my heaviest. But with nutrition and excercise I lost 40 lbs. YOU CAN DO IT!! Dedicate yourself to you.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

This, exactly!

^I'm smaller than I was in high school. Our bodies change for various reasons, but it doesn't mean we can't (or that it's unlikely to) be the same weight or size.

I've made it my goal to improve my health every year, fortunately my size was affected by that goal.

That typo of thinking is defeating and makes one feel like, what's the point, or that it's all downhill from here. Not true at all and if you want your goal to be 19% body fat than it IS possible!

Don't let age or any excuse define you :) I'm guessing you won't since you're here to be the best version of yourself!

@msalicia116

It depends on where you come from. For some being the same size or smaller than high school is possible. Not necessarily for everyone.
    I was very tiny in high school. I developed late. I was still very lean in my 20s bit bigger than high school.

I'm familiar with anything is possible. Not everything is nor does it have to be.
    dz7l9xiqoc5j.jpeg

I agree that it depends. That's why I don't use the words "it's unlikely" regarding a population because that seems defeating to me.

And being lean or in a lean bf % ( like yourself- you look amazing) at any age is possible (even if that means 23%bf for your body type).

Sincere question for anyone, but is there a reason you wouldn't be able to be "close" to your senior year weight if you didn't put on an insane amount of muscle or grew several inches after high school? I don't see why it's "unlikely" at all, especially for women if that's what they want.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Take it a pound at a time and do it day by day... I don't think it's unrealistic considering your height but you need to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

This, exactly!

@msalicia116

I'm familiar with anything is possible. Not everything is nor does it have to be.
    dz7l9xiqoc5j.jpeg

I agree that it depends. That's why I don't use the words "it's unlikely" regarding a population because that seems defeating to me.

And being lean or in a lean bf % ( like yourself- you look amazing) at any age is possible (even if that means 23%bf for your body type).

Sincere question for anyone, but is there a reason you wouldn't be able to be "close" to your senior year weight if you didn't put on an insane amount of muscle or grew several inches after high school? I don't see why it's "unlikely" at all, especially for women if that's what they want.

I'm not a doctor, I don't have studies, I may be wrong. I only know that for me, I developed later. My body shape changed. I filled out. My understanding is that in teen years you can still be growing, not necessarily in height, but that is also a possibility. Plus you develop fat stores (which is normal and part of the reason why women have a higher BF % range then men). And to be honest, I don't know that i ever knew my height back then. I can't tell you how much muscle I put on, it was never something I specifically worked at although I did go to the gym for many years.

Also, while I was "underweight". It wasn't a concern at the time because I was still growing. I was never diagnosed as underweight, nor was there a concern for my health. But as an adult, I would be considered underweight at my high school weight.

I also work in a high school where I see many girls who are similar to how I was. I worry about encouraging young women to aspire to a body shape/type that isn't necessarily attainable to them, particularly if it is on where they are still developing.

If you want someone wants to lose bodyfat, then go for it. I just think aiming for a specific number based on what you weighed at a time when you may or may not have still been developing could be problematic, particularly if you were especially lean.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Well..it's possible but it's not easy! I weighed 135lbs my senior year, I'm 45yrs old now and I hit 136lbs last Wednesday after dieting down from 188lbs March 1st. Of course this weight can't be maintained but briefly, I was totally depleted, after I carbed back up I shot up to 147lbs (current). I can comfortably live at 145/150lbs for the remainder of Summer.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well..it's possible but it's not easy! I weighed 135lbs my senior year, I'm 45yrs old now and I hit 136lbs last Wednesday after dieting down from 188lbs March 1st. Of course this weight can't be maintained but briefly, I was totally depleted, after I carbed back up I shot up to 147lbs (current). I can comfortably live at 145/150lbs for the remainder of Summer.

A temporary weight while carb depleted and dehydrated is not the same as weighing what you weighed in high school. Especially when we are talking a difference of 11 lbs.
    Not even close.
  • msalicia116
    Options

I think men still develop quite a bit of muscle after high school, so I think it would be more difficult for men to be "around" their high school weight. I would say 145 is pretty close to your HS weight though, even with all that added mass! Many of them are still growing after high school as well. Most women have finished growing (height) in high school, I would even say it's fair to say once they reach puberty they're within at least an inch or 2, but let's just say close.
  • msalicia116
    Options

This, exactly!

@msalicia116

dz7l9xiqoc5j.jpeg

I'm not a doctor, I don't have studies, I may be wrong. I only know that for me, I developed later. My body shape changed. I filled out. My understanding is that in teen years you can still be growing, not necessarily in height, but that is also a possibility. Plus you develop fat stores (which is normal and part of the reason why women have a higher BF % range then men). And to be honest, I don't know that i ever knew my height back then. I can't tell you how much muscle I put on, it was never something I specifically worked at although I did go to the gym for many years.

Also, while I was "underweight". It wasn't a concern at the time because I was still growing. I was never diagnosed as underweight, nor was there a concern for my health. But as an adult, I would be considered underweight at my high school weight.

I also work in a high school where I see many girls who are similar to how I was. I worry about encouraging young women to aspire to a body shape/type that isn't necessarily attainable to them, particularly if it is on where they are still developing.

If you want someone wants to lose bodyfat, then go for it. I just think aiming for a specific number based on what you weighed at a time when you may or may not have still been developing could be problematic, particularly if you were especially lean.

No one here is encouraging young women to be under weight that's for sure. Most girls aren't under weight in high school anyway, if anything half if not more are over weight. And we're talking about being around the same size, as we all know the number on the scale can reflect a number of variables. Hopefully as you age your muscle mass increases, but not necessarily your bf % by too much (unless necessary for health).

But if you are an average and healthy weight in high school and you're done growing, I still don't see how it would be impractical to be in the same range as you were when you were a senior. This seems to apply to women more than men.

I think that's pretty practical unless there's a medical reason, you've put on a large amount of muscle mass, or you had a very late growth spurt.

I'm certainly understanding of your pov and personal circumstances in being underweight. I'm glad you don't aspire to be that weight or size again.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I personally do not think it is unrealistic given your height. I am also 26 and I weigh 105 at 5'4".
  • trinabot19
    trinabot19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This, exactly!

@msalicia116

dz7l9xiqoc5j.jpeg

No one here is encouraging young women to be under weight that's for sure. Most girls aren't under weight in high school anyway, if anything half if not more are over weight. And we're talking about being around the same size, as we all know the number on the scale can reflect a number of variables. Hopefully as you age your muscle mass increases, but not necessarily your bf % by too much (unless necessary for health).

But if you are an average and healthy weight in high school and you're done growing, I still don't see how it would be impractical to be in the same range as you were when you were a senior. This seems to apply to women more than men.

I think that's pretty practical unless there's a medical reason, you've put on a large amount of muscle mass, or you had a very late growth spurt.

I'm certainly understanding of your pov and personal circumstances in being underweight. I'm glad you don't aspire to be that weight or size again.

I like your guy's discussion! I was done growing in high school though..actually Im pretty sure I reached my height of 5'1 in middle school and there I stopped growing haha. I dont think my body has changed much other than this added weight which is why im so disconcerted about it. I have no medical issues of any sort either. I just think I felt most comfortable with myself in the 105 range (not to say I HAVE to be 105 but somewhere close would be nice 105-110) My trouble is that I feel like its taking so much effort so I wonder if its really attainable in the long term? If I have to cut calories and exercise 6 times a week in order to lose this extra weight will that mean I will just have to do this forever or Ill gain it all back?? It just baffles me because when I was in high school I didnt even have to try (this includes a few years later after high school too guys as I didnt gain any extra weight until I was about 20-21 which I did mention! - (I got married at 20 so thats probably part of the weight gain hahaha).

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    If you were 36 or 46, I'd suggest you took it slowly and constantly re-evaluated in terms of both appearance, how you feel and the effort required. 26 is hardly old, though. Even if 105 is more work than you can muster, if, as you say, 10lb makes a very big difference, then try for 5lb off, with some effort to firm up as you go, then see what you think of the result vs the effort required.

You look petite and curvy in your profile. Firming up without any weight loss might be the way to go.

This^

Your ultimate goal will be determined by how much effort maintenance will require. Just take it slow. Strength train if you do not already. Keeping (more) lean muscle will go a long way to make you look slim.

Teenagers are active & growing. Lean muscle is a use it or lose it kind of thing. You want to use it because muscle burns (a few) calories at rest....fat doesn't.