Frustrated

Options
2»

Replies

• queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I put on almost 10 lbs in two months. I didn't change anything else, just quit smoking and BAM! It was pretty much water weight I think but it took a few more months for it to really go away...I just felt like an inflated balloon for that time, my feet wouldn't even fit in my shoes! Hang it there and congrats on the big quit! Just keep counting your calories correctly and you will see change.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health and fitness. Your weight loss will be in the kitchen. If you are becoming frustrated with the lack of weight loss make eating at a deficit easier and just track really accurately. I guarantee you'll see a loss if you do that. Exercise causes my weight on the scale to increase even eating at a deficit as well. You've made a lot of changes very quickly and your muscles are storing water to cope and to properly recover. Continue where you are going and be patient or cut the exercise and just focus on intake if the scale is your biggest priority.
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I didn't read every post so not sure if anyone else suggested this, but...weigh yourself every morning (hopefully after using the bathroom and before eating), don't pay much attention to what the scale says, just log it. Reasoning for this first thing is so that you don't get discouraged and/or frustrated. Your body is freaking out a bit right now as you are making it do something it isn't used to. Quitting smoking alone is enough to freak it out. Add exercise and diet change...you get the idea. Be as calm as you can, and as patient as you can. So-bullet points:
    -Weigh in each morning, and think of what you see in the scale as a little cloud you can blow away initially.
    -Accurately log your caloric intake - can't stress this enough. It's taxing at first, but pays off in the long run.
    -Eat a balance of foods for at least a month before you start tweaking macros. My suggestion is to eat how you've been eating (unless it's garbage or artificial sweeteners, but it doesn't sound like it is) so you know what your body is used to. I typically tend toward a higher protein, lower fat and carb than MFP suggests, but it works for me. I am just now starting to tweak the macros a bit to see how my body responds.
    -Exercise - Mix in compound movements and some cardio (personally can't stand machines and prefer a tabada HIIT for cardio (pick up the tabata app for iPhone or android). If you haven't been exercising for long, move into it slowly, don't try to jump in and kill 1k calories on a treadmill or other cardio machine, or lifting for that matter, right out of the gate. Using MFP, don't eat back your calories from exercise.
    -Invest in a heart rate monitor that you will use and enjoy. I suggest using a chest strap model (I have used both, but the chest strap is very consistent)
    -Sleep as well as you can. If you have problems sleeping, try to remedy it.
    -Remember, this is something that requires a lot of patience. When I first started in 2010, I weighed in at 220 @ 6'1". It was a month at least before my body settled in and the fat started dropping off. When it did, I was dropping 1lb a week. After several months of truly accurate caloric monitoring I started dropping fat at about 2 lbs per week. At that point I felt like I was running at too much of a deficit (I had set my own limit at 1700 cal per day), so I bumped it up a bit since I was also lifting heavy. I hit 180 before I started adding back even more calories and started lifting a bit heavier. My goal is only to sculpt and build a little so I have maintained at about 185 to 195, but the bigger picture for me is my body fat percentage stays between 14&17%.

-Look at quiksyler296's flowchart, it's great.
    -Never give up!
  • sj1sunshine
    sj1sunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you all for your motivation, encouragement, and tips. I ordered a food scale today and am going to be very careful on measuring my calories. I am also going to take the advice to not eat back more than 25-50% of my exercise calories. I am still going to the doctor next Thursday to see if there is anything medical to rule out. I do weigh myself every morning, but have seen no changes, except a rise of 4 lbs that fluctuate up and down. I need to dig out my HR monitor that came with my forerunner that I stopped using for some reason. I will not give up! I was able to succeed 10 years ago, and approaching 40 years old, I am going to succeed again! Feel free to suggest anything else you can think of, and I will report back to update on my status when things start moving in the right direction.