My rant about the MFP community.

Options

Replies

• Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    love your post! wise for only 18 years... keep up the great work you are doing.
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I am glad you did post! like many things in life, humanity can make it very very complicated. Thank you for posting this.
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I have hypothyroidism too and I didn't know there was foods I should avoid. Learn something new everyday.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love this! I have hypothyroidism as well, and It's soo hard to lose weight! Great post! Thank you for sharing!
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Well said! And guess what? I LOVE carbs. I eat carbs everyday. I even snack. And I've still lost weight. People need to stop depriving themselves and learn to live!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    great post!!! very well said!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    "Do you really think cutting carbs is a life long plan? "
    Yes, I do.

I honestly don't know why you felt the need to single out low carb dieting in your rant. If you and your mom don't think its right for you, I could care less, that is your decision. However, there are plenty of people on these forums following all manner of diet plans who feel strongly about what they are doing and post their strong opinions here. They can't all be right but I didn't see you focusing any attention on them in your rant. Why not?

Finally, did you ever consider that maybe you and your mom are wrong? I'm not saying everyone should do a low carb diet, but on the other hand I can see no reason to sit idly by and let your post go unchallenged.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a rant it was just an advise. Great post.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    Great post. For the most part, I've gotten the same advice from MFP.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

I honestly don't know why you felt the need to single out low carb dieting in your rant. If you and your mom don't think its right for you, I could care less, that is your decision. However, there are plenty of people on these forums following all manner of diet plans who feel strongly about what they are doing and post their strong opinions here. They can't all be right but I didn't see you focusing any attention on them in your rant. Why not?

Finally, did you ever consider that maybe you and your mom are wrong? I'm not saying everyone should do a low carb diet, but on the other hand I can see no reason to sit idly by and let your post go unchallenged.

Smiling because I have to agree with you. Yes there are plenty of aternate carbohydrates out there for people with celiacs and gluten intolerances but for the most part its a low carb form of living (right up there next to the point of having none if youre dilligent and can break your processed food addiction) While I agree that nutritionists have more training then most to give nutritional advice, they are not perfect. And dietary regulations and recommendations change almost weekly, and must be customized for EVERY patient because there is no "one size fits all" form of eating
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    It wasn't a rant it was just an advise. Great post.

Topic: My rant about the MFP community.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Keep an open mind, we're all individuals, what works well for one may not work for another.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Keep an open mind, we're all individuals, what works well for one may not work for another.
    AGREE!
    Sorry but I think everyone is different too! Calorie counting stopped working for me after 2 years so I switched to LOW carb and it appears to be helping with alot of issues I had with food.

I doubt anyone is having NO carbs as it would be virtually impossible!

My rant would be to people who single out something they have never tried or have any genuine experience of!

Yes some people may do things to extreme and then fail (and that includeds your way), but done sensibly then why should it not work?
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love carbs... and grew up eating sandwiches and playing outside... funnily enough it's when I got older and started to spend all day at a desk that I started to gain weight... I'm now spending all day at a desk AND exercising more and moderating my portions (instead of eating for three when it's just me) and I'm now losing weight.

Great post... yep, I read to the bottom of it!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Grains =/= carbs. My reason for not eating grain is probably a lot different than some peoples' on here (and I do believe whole grains can be a part of a healthy diet), but I get plenty of carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables without eating grains.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If the no carb things works for you then good luck with it.

Personally I disagree with cutting out a whoe foodgroup and I love my carbs so it is never going to be a path I will go down!!!

As with anything is life, I respect the freedom of choice and only get annoyed when someone wants to 'convert' me.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya you're right..hypocrisy
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If dieting was a 'one size fits all' scenario then EVERYONE would follow the same diet and fitness regime and there would not be thousands of different ways to lose weight!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

She was just being honest and sincere unlike you. If you want to get into a scientific jousting match about diets i'm game. Low carb is like its always been a FAD diet that made alot of people alot of money. You've got the world at your fingertips so why don't you go read about the negative health benefits of low carb diets. Just because it assists in losing weight doesn't mean its healthy. Another example of money for fat..Our stomachs aren't made to be cinched in a noose but look how popular the lap band is by people that can't control what they put in their mouths. Now they got Lap band walk in centers basically.

I've found that there is some good information on these forums but not much. People need to eat healthy balanced meals that have adequate fats, carbs and proteins. I actually watch mine but it doesn't dictate what i eat. I eat what i want and have lost in the past 6 months around 50lbs.

Ultimately the only knowledge that's required to lose weight is eat less then you burn in a day and your weight will drop. ANY exercise improves the rate of drop due to increasing your muscle mass. The diet business is just about as big as the pharma industry. Everybody has the answer yet 30% or more of the American population at least is waaay overweight. Guess what. Most would love a magic bullet solution like your support of a low carb diet. There are no magic bullets other then self discipline and desire to be at a healthy weight. That means controlling not necessarily what but how much we put in our mouths.