Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jaredlrice wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I have been eating my veggies. Veggies which are high in fiber like brussell sprouts, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, etc. I've switched all grains to wholegrain (even pastas). I've choked down bowls of oatmeal, even though I absolutely detest oatmeal, and yet...I still can't hit my daily fiber goal.

I really REALLY don't want to have to drink those fiber powder drinks that my grandmother did (politely hiding her face to outlast the gag reflex, before turning around).

Does anyone have any tips for this? How are you hitting your fiber requirement?

How much fiber are you shooting for? I usually shoot for 15 grams per 1000 calories...

My diary says I need 38g, but I'm only hitting about 15 to 20 per day.

What's your calorie target?
  • onemorelardo
    onemorelardo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1500 calories per day, but I usually come in about 1200 +/- by the end of the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Raspberries

I bet you could eat raspberries

200g raspberries = 14g fibre

(and they're great with a greek yogurt)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    1500 calories per day, but I usually come in about 1200 +/- by the end of the day.

At 1500 calories per day 22.5 grams of fiber should be enough. So you really aren't that far off. When I am in a cut and eating lower calories then normal I will take 3 fiber caps with each meal.

This is what I take now...

nhsf1phc894m.png
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have to get my cholesterol count down before my doctor visit on the 20th. This is my major reason for wanting to reach my fiber requirement, but it is difficult to do.

If this is more about the cholesterol than digestive help, soluble fiber is what you need to make sure you're getting enough of so check the labels for that. My go-to foods are oatmeal (I know, not your preference), Brussels sprouts, beans (black & limas are my favorite), sweet potatoes, flax seed. Check online for highest soluble fiber foods & go from there.

I shoot for 8-10 of my grams of daily fiber to be soluble, the rest are insoluble & help with the bathroom, lol.

Benefiber over Metamucil, imo, hands down. Really there's no taste at all to me & it mixes easily with just about anything. And there's 3 of the 10 grams right there.

Good luck
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have been eating my veggies. Veggies which are high in fiber like brussell sprouts, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, etc. I've switched all grains to wholegrain (even pastas). I've choked down bowls of oatmeal, even though I absolutely detest oatmeal, and yet...I still can't hit my daily fiber goal.

I really REALLY don't want to have to drink those fiber powder drinks that my grandmother did (politely hiding her face to outlast the gag reflex, before turning around).

Does anyone have any tips for this? How are you hitting your fiber requirement?
    I struggle too. I have been eating a ton of fresh berries but then my sugar is through the roof! Probably start eating more greens.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal but get really tired of it. Try oat bran - it is smoother and creamier (cream of wheat consistency) with 7g fiber/serving.
    Ronzoni smart taste pasta tastes like regular pasta but has extra fiber.
    Brownberry/Arnolds/Orowheat makes double fiber bread.
    Beans!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i am a fan of the fiber one products

Samsies. We have Fibre 1 chewy oats & chocolate bars atm (thanks ILs and Costco!), but we prefer the brownies since they make a nice dessert. 5 fibre per bar.
    0006563343205.jpg
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get fiber isn't it, total change in eating habits for me.

https://www.achs.edu/blog/2012/07/17/top-ten-high-fiber-low-calorie-foods

Summarized below
    Raspberries! (8 g/cup - 64 cal) but $$$
    Pears (5.1 g each - 52 cal)
    Apples (4.4 g each - 75 ±cal)
    Blueberries (3.5 g/50 berries - 40 cal)
    and more...

one good one for you might be steamed broccoli, says it's good for lowering cholesterol. (5.1 g/cup - 52 cal)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    38g would be tough.

I eat a lot of beans and apples... and I prefer oatmeal over other kinds of cereals because they don't fill me up (same for Fiber One stuff, sadly)... although Weetabix with some Triple Zero Greek yogurt is a very nice boost of fiber (10-12g for 250ish calories).
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal but get really tired of it. Try oat bran - it is smoother and creamier (cream of wheat consistency) with 7g fiber/serving.
    Ronzoni smart taste pasta tastes like regular pasta but has extra fiber.
    Brownberry/Arnolds/Orowheat makes double fiber bread.
    Beans!
    Would oat bran be near the cream of wheat/oatmeal aisle of the store?

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine from Amazon, but have seen it at a local discount store (Marcs) near the Bob's Red Mill display in the baking aisle.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    38g would be tough.

I eat a lot of beans and apples... and I prefer oatmeal over other kinds of cereals because they don't fill me up (same for Fiber One stuff, sadly)... although Weetabix with some Triple Zero Greek yogurt is a very nice boost of fiber (10-12g for 250ish calories).

I thought Triple Zero was the best thing ever... until I finally understood that it was the chicory that was making my intestines roil.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, All Bran Buds and yogurt. I get my 25g before lunch!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    flax and chia seeds are good too. I heard flax is also good for helping with cholesterol,not sure if thats true or not. barley,brown rice,pears,avocado,sweet potatoes,acorn squash,parsnips,split peas have 16g of fiber per cup,almonds and oranges also have some fiber. I made a smoothie this am and got in 15g of fiber just from that, I used hemp seed,chia seed,raspberries,pineapple,spinach&kale,powdered peanut butter,greek yogurt(no fiber) and my protein powder has 2g of fiber per 20g scoop.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are you shooting for exactly? I have no problem hitting 40g with oats or beans in the morning, quinoa or some other whole grain at lunch and dinner, and about 6 servings of veg daily and a couple servings of fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    38g would be tough.

I thought Triple Zero was the best thing ever... until I finally understood that it was the chicory that was making my intestines roil.

Haha yep. Thankfully it's not an issue for me.

The main issue for me with fiber is that it's kinda tough to still hit my 110g of protein and 60g of fat while getting my 25g of fiber... mostly I guess because it really doesn't leave much room for treats (and by that I mean even things like bread). Kodiak pancakes mixes have helped some with that too though (I don't use syrup anyway).
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Any product by the company Fiber One will help you get more fiber into your diet. I personally love the oats and chocolate chewy bars and their bran cereal.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    I like Fiber One cereal. Just the plain old cereal. 14g per serving (30g). On days where I don't eat cereal I find it hard to hit fiber goals as well, but I'm also not a big vegetable eater.