military pyramid (challenge)

Options

Replies

• mathewscarlett
    mathewscarlett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I explained muscle confusion already but ill do it again. to much isolation will make your muscle groups start working separate, one overpowering the other. Your body was built to work as one unit. I do landscapeing and tree work. When the person is climbing that tree, he is using every muscle in his body. When someone on the ground is moving a very heavy log, that person wants his whole body to work together. Isolation is good. But to much is bad. I learned that the hard way.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I explained muscle confusion already but ill do it again.

With sources please...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I explained muscle confusion already but ill do it again. to much isolation will make your muscle groups start working separate, one overpowering the other. Your body was built to work as one unit. I do landscapeing and tree work. When the person is climbing that tree, he is using every muscle in his body. When someone on the ground is moving a very heavy log, that person wants his whole body to work together. Isolation is good. But to much is bad. I learned that the hard way.

You explained muscle confusion...incorrectly.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    This should answer more about what im talking about.

www.marksdailyapple.com/muscle-imbalances/#axzz4DIba5wiM
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Ok look. Its a great workout. If you dont like it. Then dont do it. Im sure somebody will like it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Not only is muscle confusion not really a thing, it doesn't even mean what you seem to think it means.
    Muscle confusion means changing up your routine to confuse your muscles and spur them to grow.
    You're talking about isolation exercises causing your body to prefer using one muscle over another (which, aside from having nothing to do with muscle confusion, isn't even true).

Like, for real, isolation exercises aren't as effective as compound movements because they work less of the body at once but they don't cause your body to start favoring certain muscles...
    If you need to bend your arm to lift a shovel, your biceps will bend your arm...because it's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your arm to drive the shovel into the ground, your triceps will do that...because that's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your leg, your quadriceps...
    And so on...

ETA and if you need to bend over and pick up a log, your quads will straighten your leg while your hams and glutes extend your waist and your erector spinae hold your back steady.
    Since all of those motions must occur to pick up the log, all the muscles will work where needed, regardless of how many isolation exercises you've done. If you've neglected a muscle, it may not be strong enough to handle it's job and you'll be too weak to finish the movement. But you're not gonna just use your biceps to push something away from you because of too many bicep curls.

This.
    And I'm over here loling about muscle confusion
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Not only is muscle confusion not really a thing, it doesn't even mean what you seem to think it means.
    Muscle confusion means changing up your routine to confuse your muscles and spur them to grow.
    You're talking about isolation exercises causing your body to prefer using one muscle over another (which, aside from having nothing to do with muscle confusion, isn't even true).

Like, for real, isolation exercises aren't as effective as compound movements because they work less of the body at once but they don't cause your body to start favoring certain muscles...
    If you need to bend your arm to lift a shovel, your biceps will bend your arm...because it's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your arm to drive the shovel into the ground, your triceps will do that...because that's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your leg, your quadriceps...
    And so on...

ETA and if you need to bend over and pick up a log, your quads will straighten your leg while your hams and glutes extend your waist and your erector spinae hold your back steady.
    Since all of those motions must occur to pick up the log, all the muscles will work where needed, regardless of how many isolation exercises you've done. If you've neglected a muscle, it may not be strong enough to handle it's job and you'll be too weak to finish the movement. But you're not gonna just use your biceps to push something away from you because of too many bicep curls.

This.
    And I'm over here loling about muscle confusion

• mathewscarlett
    Options
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Gods that's a poorly written opinion piece. It also doesn't really support your assertion.

Essentially it's an argument for compound lifts, which I wouldn't disagree with.

It doesn't support your suggestion that muscle confusion is anything other than meaningless woo, peddled by hacks.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

Gods that's a poorly written opinion piece. It also doesn't really support your assertion.

Essentially it's an argument for compound lifts, which I wouldn't disagree with.

It doesn't support your suggestion that muscle confusion is anything other than meaningless woo, peddled by hacks.

If you dont like the workout, dont do it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    If you dont like the workout, dont do it.

Not really the point, it doesn't support my objectives, so it's not the kind of thing that appeals.

My issue is with the nonsense about muscle confustion, which it's been illustrated in your other thread that you don't understand.

As in the other thread, fair enough recommend something you enjoy, but put some context behind it rather than just spouting b*ll*x.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've got to agree with the others on this one. The article seems to be encouraging people to do more functional exercises over isolation moves, but nothing about muscle confusion....which is a misnomer to begin with.

I'm sure your workout is great, and if you love it and wish to share it with others, then great for you and those who try it and enjoy any amount of success from it. For me, working out is not only about doing something that will lead to growth and change, but it's also about doing something that I can sustain over a long period of time without burnout or boredom.......and I would get bored with that workout after Day 2 or 3.

Much like MeanderingMammal said, you are kind of missing the point. I think I see more people criticizing your explanation of muscle confusion and touting it as something real, more than criticizing your workout.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    F it. I just drank a bit too much. I'm going to try this workout. BRB
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Jeremy, you'll probably be bored day 1. I just did it. Heart rate got up a little, not a lot. Felt - strengthwise - like I could have kept going.

As such, I "tried it." I give it a 5/10.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Jeremy, you'll probably be bored day 1. I just did it. Heart rate got up a little, not a lot. Felt - strengthwise - like I could have kept going.

If you felt like you could of kept going, you should have. It can be adjusted to any fitness level.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

Their is no way you did this workout correctly in 9 minutes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Their is no way you did this workout correctly in 9 minutes.

If you're only going up to 15 reps of each it wouldn't take long. I bore easily so know I wouldn't like it so I'm not trying it to prove or disprove the time it took.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also, push up, sit up, squat. That's a pretty narrow range of work there, body wise. What kind of sit up?

But if someone did this as their sole workout there would be a lot being neglected to keep everything balanced.

And rolling around and getting up constantly for low reps would annoy the eff out of me but that might just be me and my dislike for having to get up and down a lot during a workout.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I ripped on your other plan already, so I figured despite how much I hate cardio (as in I never do it) I would put my money where my mouth is. For my 3 exercises I picked squat thrusters, box jump, and plyo pushups. I picked them because they can be intense, but they were easy to string together.

I went to 25 then back down to 1 and it took me 11 minutes. I think this could be a starting point for people who want a quick workout without really breaking a sweat. I think there are other more effective ways than the pyramid to get the same kind of workout, so personally I would not do this again.