military pyramid (challenge)

Options
Ok. This is a muscle confusion workout. Take 3 muscle group's, choose a workout for each muscle group. Example - pushups (chest) sit-ups ( abs ) and body squats (legs).

Start off doing 1 of each. Example - 1 pushup 1 situp 1 squat. Without stopping do 2 of each, and 3 of each all the way too 15 and without stopping go back down too 1 again. I recommend if you have never did this workout only go too 15 and down.

When you hit the peak # only do it once. Very important to remember that.

So it should look like this...
1+1+1=(3)+2+2+2=(9) +3+3+3 =(18)+4+4+4=(30)+5+5+5=(45)+6+6+6=(63)+7+7+7=(84)+8+8+8=(108)+9+9+9=(135)+10+10+10=(165)+11+11+11=(198)+12+12+12=(234)+13+13+13=(273)+14+14+14=(315)+15+15+15=(360)×2 (for the way down) =(720) - 45 (because you do the peak # 1 time) = ((( 675 ))) reps without stopping. You can adjust this workout to fit any fitness level. I strongly recommend using calisthenics to start off. And when your ready, use weights. Each week increase the peak #. For example - if the peak # is 15, the next week you go to 16, the week after go to 17. And so on. When you get to 20 or 25, how ever much you want to push yourself. Its time to switch to weights.

Here is the challenge, for beginner's do this workout 3 days a week. Pick 3 workouts from 3 different muscle group's and keep those same workouts throught the challenge.( i strongly recommend using abs and legs in there ) Dont forget to increase the peak # each week. If you do 3 of these workouts starting at 15 in 1 week, that is ((( 2025 ))) reps in the first week.

For advanced, do this workout 6 days a week.
And mix it up. Make 2 different pyramids and alternate the workouts every other day. (strongly recommend using core and legs)
Dont forget to increase the peak # each week. If you start at 15 and do 6 days, thats ((( 4050 ))) reps in one week.

Just do it for one month and tell me how you feel. I guaranty you will love this workout.

Replies

• mathewscarlett
    mathewscarlett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This workout should leave you dripping in sweat. If not, your not doing enough. Remember, it can be adjusted to fit (any) fitness level. This is a military workout
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Its very important that you take no break in between this workout. If you have to take a break, you went to high on the peak # and should re-adjust to a lower peak #. In order to properly do this workout, you must go from start to finnish with no breaks. Thats what makes this a challenge!!!!
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sounds tough but a great challenge
    I'm jumping on board for this one
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Are you seriously recommending to only train three muscle groups for a month? Smh.

Noooooooo.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Just a brief note/point that I wanted to make since I've seen a lot of friends offline make this mistake recently. :)

If you just started or have been lifting for only a few months, don't do any of those split routines. Split routine meaning this:

- Monday: Biceps, Chest [Bicep curls, dumbbell chest flys, ... ]
    - Tuesday: Hamstrings, Back [Cable Kickbacks, Good Mornings, ...]
    - Wednesday: Shoulders, Triceps [Shrugs, Tricep kickbacks, ... ]
    - etc, etc.

You don't need those separate days. You don't need isolation exercises. Splits like that are for intermediates. A lot of isolation work won't do you a lot of good if you don't have a good muscle base. Think of them us 'touch-up work' or as the 'decoration' to your plain frosted cake.

Focus on compound lifts.

Compound Lifts:
    - bench
    - squat
    - deadlift
    - pull ups
    - rows
    - military press

If you still want a split instead of a full body workout of compound lifts, do an upper/lower split, like this:

Workout A: Upper
    - Bench
    - Pull ups
    - Rows
    - Military Press

Workout B: Lower
    - Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Leg Press
    - Calf Raises

Alternate, and workout every other day.

If you have a great muscle imbalance where one side is very, very clearly so much stronger than the other, where one side is completely dominant (as in my fellow fencers out there), then feel free to add a bit of isolation/unilateral work to try and even yourself out.

Have a good day, everyone~!

Good beginner programs include:

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Men/Women
    All Pro's
    Strong Curves

Some are/can be free. Just look on google or at Bodybuilding.com

Any other suggestions? :)[/quote
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    military workout

Which military?
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    military workout

Which military?

U.S. military. I remember doing this 'ol chestnut. I'd still prefer card PT.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Are you seriously recommending to only train three muscle groups for a month? Smh.

Noooooooo.

• mathewscarlett
    Options
    Ok. Before anybody talks down to this workout, try it. Just try one of them. In the begining of the workout it will seem easy, but by the time you reach half way through i guarantee you will feel good.

cecsav1 - no, you can use this as a warm up by lowering the reps. And you can mix it up by changing the workouts.

rybo - i got one thing to say about it being pointless. Try it. I challenge you.

This workout is (muscle confusion).
    One of the best workouts you can do.

Its from the u.s. military. And i have many more workouts where that came from, i went to bootcamp. (note - this workout can be adjusted to any fitness level)

And think about this, this workout is a warm up and a warm down workout.

Would you say the insanity test is pointless?
    Would you say p90x is pointless?

Ok, i challenge any doubters to try it just one time. Finnish it all the way through. And ask yourself if it is worth doing again.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Just a brief note/point that I wanted to make since I've seen a lot of friends offline make this mistake recently. :)

If you just started or have been lifting for only a few months, don't do any of those split routines. Split routine meaning this:

- Monday: Biceps, Chest [Bicep curls, dumbbell chest flys, ... ]
    - Tuesday: Hamstrings, Back [Cable Kickbacks, Good Mornings, ...]
    - Wednesday: Shoulders, Triceps [Shrugs, Tricep kickbacks, ... ]
    - etc, etc.

You don't need those separate days. You don't need isolation exercises. Splits like that are for intermediates. A lot of isolation work won't do you a lot of good if you don't have a good muscle base. Think of them us 'touch-up work' or as the 'decoration' to your plain frosted cake.

Focus on compound lifts.

Compound Lifts:
    - bench
    - squat
    - deadlift
    - pull ups
    - rows
    - military press

If you still want a split instead of a full body workout of compound lifts, do an upper/lower split, like this:

Workout A: Upper
    - Bench
    - Pull ups
    - Rows
    - Military Press

Workout B: Lower
    - Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Leg Press
    - Calf Raises

Alternate, and workout every other day.

If you have a great muscle imbalance where one side is very, very clearly so much stronger than the other, where one side is completely dominant (as in my fellow fencers out there), then feel free to add a bit of isolation/unilateral work to try and even yourself out.

Have a good day, everyone~!

Good beginner programs include:

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Men/Women
    All Pro's
    Strong Curves

Some are/can be free. Just look on google or at Bodybuilding.com

Any other suggestions? :)[/quote

This is not an isolation workout. This is a (muscle confusion) workout.

Example - p90x, and insanity are muscle confusion workouts.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Seems pretty pointless.

Just try one. I challenge you to just do one pyramid. And im going to ask you do the very basic workouts pushups, situps, and body squats.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    No response?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    We have done something similar in boot camp class.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Seems pretty pointless.

Just try one. I challenge you to just do one pyramid. And im going to ask you do the very basic workouts pushups, situps, and body squats.

Challenge me all you want, I'll stick to my current workout plan. There's no doubt that workout would leave anyone breathing heavy in a puddle of sweat. The whole muscle confusion, isn't actually a thing. The workout is doing a bunch of moves that's just going to make you tired. I prefer a structured program that's going to make me better.

Muscle confusion is actually a thing. Do some research. Study it. Its one of the best things you can do. Dont get me wrong. Isolation is good. But to much isolation is bad. If you start doing all isolation, muscle group's start working separate. Your body was designed to work as one unit.

Muscle confusion works on your body working as one unit. I do landscapeing and tree work.
    You want your body working together when your outside working like that. That was my biggest mistake when i started working out 10 years ago. All isolation and no muscle confusion or circuit training. I started noticing i was getting stronger in the gym, but when i went to work my body would use one muscle group over another.

The best way is to even it out. Muscle confusion with isolation.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'll try it once just to say I did it. It seems fun. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This workout is (muscle confusion).
    One of the best workouts you can do.

So again, what's the purpose. muscle confusion is meaningless woo peddled by hacks
    Its from the u.s. military..... i went to bootcamp.

umm, ok.

So from my own experiences of New Entry Training all of the sessions had a purpose, and objective. That wasn't just to turn one into a sweaty mess by the end.

As an example, given the nature of the commando tests there are sessions that improve CV capacity, sessions that improve load carrying capacity, sessions that optimise upper body strength and sessions that help to improve performance whilst fatigued. This doesn't appear to really fulfil any of those objectives.

All that culminates in test week,
    Ok, i challenge any doubters to try it just one time. Finnish it all the way through. And ask yourself if it is worth doing again.

I'll do an hour of threshold intervals on the turbo trainer, or I'll go out for a tempo run, or hill sprints, or an LSD 20 miler.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Alright, so I just finished. Instead of going up to 15 I went to 10 and back down haha. I switched sit ups with russian twists for a bit because the sit ups were hurting my back. And some modified push ups so I didn't collapse in death. I'm not sure if I'll do this every other day for a month but it was interesting to just try it out. (As in I'm not sure if there was any real worth in it besides the satisfaction in saying I can do the pyramid to 15 and down or more). Thanks for sharing OP.

ETA: in all it took me about 15ish minutes to do it.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    I suggest anybody that is already working out go to at least 15 to start off to feel the full effect. If 15 is not enough, keep going up until it feels like your fitness level.

I explained the purpose already. Its muscle confusion. And say the first week you start off at 15. The next week you will be at 16. Do the math. So if 15 was the peak # last week, then this week youll do 15 twice. So that would be and extra 45. Then 16 × 3 would be 48. 48 + 45 = 93 extra reps the very next week.

Their is 2 main goals to working out. To look better, and to do more ( unless your trying to maintain). So if each week you increase just 1 # higher. Your adding more reps.