military pyramid (challenge)

Options
13»

Replies

• mathewscarlett
    mathewscarlett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just did a pyramid from 1 to 17 and back to 1 again with military press, ab lounge, and body squats. Idk, after doing it i feel good. You can use weights with this workout as i said in the begining. I just said use calisthenics to get used to how it feels. And weights.... Weights is a whole different league.

Here is me a couple month's ago doing it. I didnt rush through it because i was in a car wreck.

https://youtu.be/THhZsxKbwg0
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    I just did a pyramid from 1 to 17 and back to 1 again with military press, ab lounge, and body squats. Idk, after doing it i feel good. You can use weights with this workout as i said in the begining. I just said use calisthenics to get used to how it feels. And weights.... Weights is a whole different league.

Here is me a couple month's ago doing it. I didnt rush through it because i was in a car wreck.

https://youtu.be/THhZsxKbwg0

With the pyramid i did tonight with military press, if i went from 1 to 17 and back to 1. Thats 274 military press, 274 situps, 274 squats.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Idk if people are getting it confused or something. Maybe not. But you are supposed to start at 1 work your way up to the peak #, once you hit the peak # your only half way done. Now you gotta work your way back too 1 again. Tonight i went to 17. So i started at 1 worked my way up to 17 and turned back around to work my way back too 1 again. Do you see why its called a pyramid.

Has anybody done pyramid curls. It takes 2 people. Grab a weight that both can curl a lot. Curl it 1 time, hand it to your partner they curl it 1 time. Tgen you grab it again, curl 2 times switch back to your partner they curl it 2 times. And work your way up to 10, and turn back around and work your way back too 1 again.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I ripped on your other plan already, so I figured despite how much I hate cardio (as in I never do it) I would put my money where my mouth is. For my 3 exercises I picked squat thrusters, box jump, and plyo pushups. I picked them because they can be intense, but they were easy to string together.

I went to 25 then back down to 1 and it took me 11 minutes. I think this could be a starting point for people who want a quick workout without really breaking a sweat. I think there are other more effective ways than the pyramid to get the same kind of workout, so personally I would not do this again.

Just to let you know why this workout is good. You just did (2595) reps all together in 11 minutes you say.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    I ripped on your other plan already, so I figured despite how much I hate cardio (as in I never do it) I would put my money where my mouth is. For my 3 exercises I picked squat thrusters, box jump, and plyo pushups. I picked them because they can be intense, but they were easy to string together.

I went to 25 then back down to 1 and it took me 11 minutes. I think this could be a starting point for people who want a quick workout without really breaking a sweat. I think there are other more effective ways than the pyramid to get the same kind of workout, so personally I would not do this again.

Just to let you know why this workout is good. You just did (2595) reps all together in 11 minutes you say.

So you did (865) plyo pushups, (865) squat thrust, and (865) box jumps in 11 minutes. If you actually did that. Thats pretty amazing. Listen. #'s matter. Just like every penny adds up to a dollar, every dollar adds up to a hundred and so on. Every rep adds onto your gains.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you definition of gains as used in your last post refers to endurance alone.

Endurance is always good, but endurance is not the main factor and goal of my training. I'm currently training for strength... so endurance would be good for that in that I lift for more reps without fatiguing... but if my goal is to move more weight (it is) that's not an optimal style of training.

It seems to me that endurance would benefit volume based training more so.... but hypertrophy isn't my current program focus.

Looking at it from that perspective, while your workout might provide a challenge and would show gains provided I progressively increased it as you suggest, it would not be the optimal form of training for my current goals.

*shrug*
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

So you did (865) plyo pushups, (865) squat thrust, and (865) box jumps in 11 minutes. If you actually did that. Thats pretty amazing. Listen. #'s matter. Just like every penny adds up to a dollar, every dollar adds up to a hundred and so on. Every rep adds onto your gains.

It's calisthenics which is a very light load for a heavy lifter. Sure, it's a lot of reps but a lot of reps of light resistance isn't really better than a few reps of intense resistance.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It's calisthenics which is a very light load for a heavy lifter. Sure, it's a lot of reps but a lot of reps of light resistance isn't really better than a few reps of intense resistance.

As i said, you can use weights with this workout.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

As i said, you can use weights with this workout.

I'm talking about what you said about the number of reps USMCMP did. The fact she did a bunch of reps doesn't necessarily mean it was a great workout for her.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    It seems to me that you definition of gains as used in your last post refers to endurance alone.

Endurance is always good, but endurance is not the main factor and goal of my training. I'm currently training for strength... so endurance would be good for that in that I lift for more reps without fatiguing... but if my goal is to move more weight (it is) that's not an optimal style of training.

It seems to me that endurance would benefit volume based training more so.... but hypertrophy isn't my current program focus.

Looking at it from that perspective, while your workout might provide a challenge and would show gains provided I progressively increased it as you suggest, it would not be the optimal form of training for my current goals.

*shrug*

You can use weights. Increase the load. Say start at 1 got to 5 and back down to 1. You would have to find the right weight for you to do that. But you can start the program as a strength program, and it could end up an endurance program, once you get to a high rep, increase the weight. Example - say i can bench 230 10 reps. Drop the bar down to 200.
    Say i can leg press 400 10 reps drop it down to 350. And your choice on core.

Start at 1 work your way too 5 and back too 1. You just made a workout thats power, endurance, and cardio all in one. Increase the peak # the following week by 1. And so on. You could split your workouts up into 2 and do 2 of them in 1 session at the gym. And it would actually save you time.

• mathewscarlett
    Options

*shrug*

You can use weights. Increase the load. Say start at 1 got to 5 and back down to 1. You would have to find the right weight for you to do that. But you can start the program as a strength program, and it could end up an endurance program, once you get to a high rep, increase the weight. Example - say i can bench 230 10 reps. Drop the bar down to 200.

Start at 1 work your way too 5 and back too 1. You just made a workout thats power, endurance, and cardio all in one. Increase the peak # the following week by 1. And so on. You could split your workouts up into 2 and do 2 of them in 1 session at the gym. And it would actually save you time.

So that would be 75 reps of bench, 75 reps of leg press, 75 reps of whatever core workout you want.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

*shrug*

So that would be 75 reps of bench, 75 reps of leg press, 75 reps of whatever core workout you want.

Sorry. That would be 75 reps total. 25 reps of each.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options

*shrug*

Sorry. That would be 75 reps total. 25 reps of each.

One last quote. If you started that week off at 5, in 5 weeks your at 10. Which would be 300 reps total, 100 reps of each. Then increase the weight. Your program started off mostly power some cardio some endurance, then it flips, mostly endurance and cardio. Now that you have increased the weight, find the next comfertable weight to go to 5 again. Now your mostly power again.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Jeremy, you'll probably be bored day 1. I just did it. Heart rate got up a little, not a lot. Felt - strengthwise - like I could have kept going.

As such, I "tried it." I give it a 5/10.

Their is no way you did this workout correctly in 9 minutes.

As usual, you're wrong. Went up to 15 and back down. Took 8 minutes.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Not only is muscle confusion not really a thing, it doesn't even mean what you seem to think it means.
    Muscle confusion means changing up your routine to confuse your muscles and spur them to grow.
    You're talking about isolation exercises causing your body to prefer using one muscle over another (which, aside from having nothing to do with muscle confusion, isn't even true).

Like, for real, isolation exercises aren't as effective as compound movements because they work less of the body at once but they don't cause your body to start favoring certain muscles...
    If you need to bend your arm to lift a shovel, your biceps will bend your arm...because it's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your arm to drive the shovel into the ground, your triceps will do that...because that's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your leg, your quadriceps...
    And so on...

ETA and if you need to bend over and pick up a log, your quads will straighten your leg while your hams and glutes extend your waist and your erector spinae hold your back steady.
    Since all of those motions must occur to pick up the log, all the muscles will work where needed, regardless of how many isolation exercises you've done. If you've neglected a muscle, it may not be strong enough to handle it's job and you'll be too weak to finish the movement. But you're not gonna just use your biceps to push something away from you because of too many bicep curls.

This. All of this
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Watched a few seconds of the video; it seems like the largest portion of time is all the walking around between sets of low rep numbers.
  • mathewscarlett
    Options
    Not only is muscle confusion not really a thing, it doesn't even mean what you seem to think it means.
    Muscle confusion means changing up your routine to confuse your muscles and spur them to grow.
    You're talking about isolation exercises causing your body to prefer using one muscle over another (which, aside from having nothing to do with muscle confusion, isn't even true).

Like, for real, isolation exercises aren't as effective as compound movements because they work less of the body at once but they don't cause your body to start favoring certain muscles...
    If you need to bend your arm to lift a shovel, your biceps will bend your arm...because it's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your arm to drive the shovel into the ground, your triceps will do that...because that's the only muscle that can. If you need to straighten your leg, your quadriceps...
    And so on...

ETA and if you need to bend over and pick up a log, your quads will straighten your leg while your hams and glutes extend your waist and your erector spinae hold your back steady.
    Since all of those motions must occur to pick up the log, all the muscles will work where needed, regardless of how many isolation exercises you've done. If you've neglected a muscle, it may not be strong enough to handle it's job and you'll be too weak to finish the movement. But you're not gonna just use your biceps to push something away from you because of too many bicep curls.

This. All of this

What i ment by that is you start developing muscle imbalance.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

But I didn't really get that good of a workout. I could have gotten better cardio by doing sprints for 11 minutes. I could have gotten a better leg and chest workout doing weighted squats and bench press. The number of reps isn't really that big of a deal, it's overall volume when it comes to muscles or exertion when it comes to cardio.

As I stated, it could be encouraging as a beginner to do that. It might feel like an accomplishment to have completed an exercise.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

And so on...

This. All of this

What i ment by that is you start developing muscle imbalance.

I've seen you talk about muscle imbalance and muscle confusion a lot. We've tried to explain what they are and I'm not sure you really understand what either means. 99% of the time muscle imbalance comes from injury or is a byproduct of your lifestyle.

Selecting 3 exercises at random is not likely to fix an imbalance because there's simply no variety, even if you picked all lower body or all upper body and the exercises were all compounds.

Here's something that hopefully can help you understand muscle imbalance a bit better: http://blog.nasm.org/newletter/overactive-versus-underactive-muscles-mean/