Mud run - HRM? Fitbit Flex?

duckiec
duckiec Posts: 241 Member
I've scrolled through the previous posts, and it seems that my Polar FT4 should be able handle a mud run, but I was wondering if anybody can weigh in and confirm this from personal experience... or say if the mud run killed their HRM? I'm less worried about the watch, more concerned about the transmitter and chest band.

I haven't found anything on whether my Fitbit Flex should be able to handle it? I'd guess so long as I wasn't submerged/swimming. Anybody take a Flex or another Fitbit through one?

I'd love to get the data for this event with both devices, but not at the cost of replacing them... any stories or experiences greatly appreciated! I'm a nervous wreck for tomorrow!

Replies

• FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    I did a very muddy mud run with my Fitbit One. I put it in a small ziploc and kept it in my pocket - then I mistakenly put it in the washing machine. It survived 100%. I now also have the Flex, which I shower in every day, so I assume it would handle a mud run. Can't comment on the Polar.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    In case it helps anybody else wondering-

HRM (Polar FT4) came through not one, but two mud runs just fine. Watch is a little stained, but the transmitter stayed on fine and the strap, after a good washing, is fine.

Flex also went through both with little problem. At some point it jostled and switched to sleep mode, and I did hold that arm up through a couple of the mud pits and river crossings, but it went through a couple mud pits with no issues, too. Dirt got into the band and in some crevices, and I haven't tried to charge it yet, but hopefully no problems there.
  • ThatDudeAR
    ThatDudeAR Posts: 2 Member
    I have used my fitbit flex on three mud runs, two Spartan races and a warrior dash with no issues. I did start putting medical tapeover it merely to keep the mud out; it's a pain to clean without cue tips..
  • MudSolo
    MudSolo Posts: 2 Member
    Mud race covers here work great for Fitbit

www.mudbandz.com
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    My friend did it and she was using the A300 and she also swims with it and it was fine just muddy
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    MudSolo wrote: »
    Mud race covers here work great for Fitbit

www.mudbandz.com

Thanks for the heads up. My wife and daughter like to do color runs and that would work perfectly to protect my running watch.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    I would also consider the Wahoo Fitness Tickr line if you're looking for something that will sand up to some harsh environments.

It is IPX7 rated which means it's water proof up to 5feet underwater.. I personally use it when I run and have 0 issues out of it. It is ANT+ and Bluetooth compatible so it will work with 99.9% of the devices out there. If you pair it with the Wahoo Fitness Tracker app it'll give you some more running dynamics like cadence and smoothness.