Going to experiment

Options
With lower carbs and higher fat. How would you go about tapering the carbs down from 400 to about 250 and upping fats from 85 to about 110?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't both personally as that's still ample carbs. Just figure out you food choices and go for it.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I wouldn't both personally as that's still ample carbs. Just figure out you food choices and go for it.

You wouldn't what?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    With lower carbs and higher fat. How would you go about tapering the carbs down from 400 to about 250 and upping fats from 85 to about 110?

why would you need to taper?
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Because it may affect body composition such a radical change
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

No it won't. Just do it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

It will not impact your body composition. It might lower your water and glycogen stores, but since you are in a surplus and 250 is still a lot of carbs I doubt you'd even see a shift in weight.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    250 grams of carbs is a ton of carbs. If you're going to experiment with low carbs, do it right...
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    250 grams of carbs is a ton of carbs. If you're going to experiment with low carbs, do it right...

250 a lot of carbs lol? I hit 400 a day
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah 250g is a huge amount of carbs, I'd cut it down to even more. Low carb keto people go far below 100g.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Yeah 250g is a huge amount of carbs, I'd cut it down to even more. Low carb keto people go far below 100g.

Don't think I'd survive
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Actually keto is below 50g
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Someone bulking will likely be eating a "large number of carbs" compared to other people who are trying to lose weight. Today I'll be right around 120g of carbs, 65g fat, and 160g of protein. And that's right around 1700 calories.

But to your question, no you don't have to taper to drop your carbs. You're still no where near "low carb" where you might see physical effects due to the lack of carbs.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    How do people maintain that?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How do people maintain that?

Mostly by eating high fat foods.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I have gone every day this week eating less than 50g of carbs per day - haven't even really thought about how to do it - I just eat more fat and more protein than carbs... but to answer your question, no need to taper, just do it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All you're doing is going from very high carb to just high carb. It's not going to make any difference to anything..
  • cprswank
    cprswank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My nutrition coach recommends no more than 120 carb grams per day, no fewer than 160 protein, and 50-70 fat grams. I work out 3 times per week pretty hard with a training group, and try to get cardio in one more day per week.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    cprswank wrote: »
    My nutrition coach recommends no more than 120 carb grams per day, no fewer than 160 protein, and 50-70 fat grams. I work out 3 times per week pretty hard with a training group, and try to get cardio in one more day per week.

Did your nutrition coach explain the why behind those macros?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat low fat dairy, or the leanest cuts of meat. Take a look at what you are eating in carbs and eliminate a few servings of something you won't miss.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    All you're doing is going from very high carb to just high carb. It's not going to make any difference to anything..

Less water weight?