SHAKE WEIGHT CALORIES BURNED???????

Options
I AM USING THE SHAKE WEIGHT AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNEW HOW TO COUNT THE CALORIES BURNED BY USING IT?

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    wow i thought the shake weight was something South Park invented.
    i imagine its a little more than lifting weights...

If i remember correctly you burn roughly 3 calories a minute weight lifting..
    So i would imagine u would burn about 5 - 5 1/2 calories a minute with this, maybe more depending on there weight and the speed ur going...
    Hmm id guess like 30 calories burned a minute up..
  • ThePinkPanther83
    ThePinkPanther83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's estimated at a 90 calorie burn every 5 minutes of use. Hope this helps! :smile:

7947125.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I'd be very careful about attributing a significant calorie burn to using a shake weight. If you've got a HRM that would be the better option than just guessing. Good luck with it.
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not to be the skeptic, but 90 cal for 5 minutes? Get me a shake weight... but really, that seems like a lot. An HRM is gonna be your best bet.
  • bt806
    bt806 Posts: 22
    Options
    I saw somewhere it is about 50 for the 6min workout video. Hope that helps :)
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's estimated at a 90 calorie burn every 5 minutes of use. Hope this helps! :smile:
    I saw somewhere it is about 50 for the 6min workout video. Hope that helps :)

If i remember correctly you burn roughly 3 calories a minute weight lifting..
    So i would imagine u would burn about 5 - 5 1/2 calories a minute with this, maybe more depending on there weight and the speed ur going...
    Hmm id guess like 30 calories burned a minute up..

Don't be daft.
  • cjwo57
    cjwo57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • C2Patsy
    Options
    I was seeking the same answer in order to add to my fitness log - found this: For Women the Shake Weight burns 18.3 calories a minutes compared to 2.27 calories with a regular dumbbell of the same weight. For Men its 36.5 calories per minute compared to 4.54 calories.
    I appreciate that people view the shake weight to be as valid as a pet rock for an exercise tool but for those of us who aren't up to doing 50 military plank push ups daily it's a great beginner work out that leaves my arms feeling the burn the next day... Bingo Wings you've met your match!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    50 calories per hour.
  • dawnclouse
    dawnclouse Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to say thank you to the people that replied with an answer for this. In the past 2 years I had to have 3 surgeries. 1) neck surgery to remove 1 of the 3 herniated discs in my neck an a metal plate was put in and 3of the discs fused together. 2) open heart surgery for aortic valve replacement. 3) ulnar nerve transposition (relocation) for my left elbow which was almost a year ago and still healing. I have almost an impossible time trying to find an exercise that I can do without hurting my neck, my chest, or my arm and I am thankful for this shake weight that was given to me as it hurts none of the surgical sites and allows me to get some form of exercise other than walking. I found this post looking for the answer as to how much was burned using it so I could log it and thankfully I found it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    is this real life?
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options

7947125.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Does that work with m**********n as well?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Before I got my HRM, I used a women's shake weight for about 10 minutes and spent the next 9 weeks in physical therapy to correct the damage it did to my neck. It's dangerous...there's no proper form using it, therefore anyone can use it and anyone can misuse it just like anything else. Don't count ANY calories burned using this unless you're using a heart rate monitor because I might shake the weight more aggressively trying to get a hint of a workout where someone else might shake it lightly and call it a good workout because they're sore tomorrow. SMH
  • Topher1978
    Options
    hehehe
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    is this real life?

I was wondering the same thing
  • Topher1978
    Options
    This threade could be so fun, but no one is biting... :bigsmile: