Big weight loss

Options
Hi, I'm a 53 year old man who's 5'10" and weighing in at 354 lbs. I have no health issues and I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week lifting 4 days and cardio/core 2 days. I'm used to lifting heavy but I need to change that up for weight loss and I'm struggling and confused with nutrition. My current calorie goal is between 2,500 and 2,700 a day, with a macro goal of 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat but my weight keeps moving up and not down

Any suggestion friends to help me get the weight off without surgery?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why is it you think you can't lift heavy if you want to lose weight?

given your stats i would have thought 2500 cals would be a deficit, but try 2200 for a few weeks, weighing and measuring everything you eat with scales.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. Lets try to do this the old fashioned way through diet and exercise before you go down the route of surgery.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi friend!

My suggestions:
    * Figure out your TDEE to determine your calorie goal.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    * Don't eat back/only eat back half of your exercise calories.
    * Be sure to weight everything you eat/drink. Calculate every bite or sip you have!
    * Maintain a deficit everyday and you will lose weight = 500cals/day to lose 1lbs/week or 1000cals/day to lose 2lbs/week.

It doesn't matter how much you exercise, if you eat more calories then you burn in a day you will gain weight.

I hope this helps, good luck :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    Hi friend!

My suggestions:
    * Figure out your TDEE to determine your calorie goal.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    * Don't eat back/only eat back half of your exercise calories.
    * Be sure to weight everything you eat/drink. Calculate every bite or sip you have!
    * Maintain a deficit everyday and you will lose weight!

It doesn't matter how much you exercise, if you eat more calories then you burn in a day you will gain weight.

I hope this helps, good luck :)

just FYI, if you work out your calorie goal using TDEE calculations, you shouldnt eat any exercise cals back.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the "no health issues" at 53. That's a precious inheritance. Second, congratulations on having the time to spend so much time lifting heavy. Use the food diary on this site to faithfully record everything you eat. Use a digital kitchen scale to accurately weight everything you eat. Use freely available accurate nutrition database information to describe the food you eat. It is unfortunate that this site's freely available nutrition database is not reliably accurate. An upside to this, though, is that users are able to add and edit stuff in the nutrition database, so many of us do try to keep our little corner of the database accurate. What is your calorie target from myfitnesspal? What is your weekly weight loss goal? The myfitnesspal NEAT calculator is accurate and trustworthy. The recommendations are simple, clear, and effective. Get into a calorie deficit, stay in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. The weighing and logging of food is so that you can maintain conscious awareness of what you're doing to yourself with food.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion (you haven't mentioned whether you have sought advice elsewhere) is to talk with your doctor and to talk with a personal trainer. Both have the expertise which may start you off better than strangers not knowing your personal health history. Beyond that, at first glance and knowing what worked for me, I would suggest swappnig your lift and cardio.... do cardio 4 days and lift 2 days. Without any further information, it sounds as if surgery is not necessary for you.... once again, talk to your doctor, but I presume if you don't wish to lose weight via surgery, your doctor and a personal trainer would be able to guide you toward non-surgery methods.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, you have to decide what works best for you. I think you should aim for lower than 2700 calories. Try 2200 as has been suggested. I think cardio should probably be more of a priority than lifting. I lift three days a week but try to do cardio six days a week. I don't eat back my exercise calories unless you are starving and feel you need to. I'd also cut your carbs more. Maybe put them at 20-30 percent. Do this and the weight will melt away.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hello. How long have you been doing MFP? A couple weeks? Six weeks? Three months? Your duration with the program is the most important thing any of us needs to know to help you. You mention your increasing weight, but without knowing how long you've been with MFP and how often you weigh, it's hard to offer advice.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Reading this reminded me of what my doctor just told me ... weight is lost at the table .. fitness is gained in the gym .

Just a guy trying to back on track
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    olong wrote: »
    My first suggestion (you haven't mentioned whether you have sought advice elsewhere) is to talk with your doctor and to talk with a personal trainer. Both have the expertise which may start you off better than strangers not knowing your personal health history. Beyond that, at first glance and knowing what worked for me, I would suggest swappnig your lift and cardio.... do cardio 4 days and lift 2 days. Without any further information, it sounds as if surgery is not necessary for you.... once again, talk to your doctor, but I presume if you don't wish to lose weight via surgery, your doctor and a personal trainer would be able to guide you toward non-surgery methods.
    I disagree. Lifting does not get in the way of weight loss. If anything, it is a fantastic way to preserve more muscle as you're losing weight.
    I hardly do any cardio and lift 4x weekly (Strong Curves). Weight loss is ALL about calorie deficit. I lost 90lbs just by weighing all the food (and recipe/salad/sandwich ingredients) on a food scale in grams. Also, logging accurately is very important.

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    Reading this reminded me of what my doctor just told me ... weight is lost at the table .. fitness is gained in the gym .

Fitness burns calories, improves metabolism, curbs food cravings, helps with motivation, etc. It's an overall major assist to weight loss and can't be dismissed imo.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    red99ryder wrote: »

Fitness burns calories, improves metabolism, curbs food cravings, helps with motivation, etc. It's an overall major assist to weight loss and can't be dismissed imo.
    If someone eats way above maintenance, they won't be able to lose weight just with exercise, though. There are many who cannot exercise, but if they eat below maintenance, they lose weight.

Working out makes me hungrier. :wink: