Not losing! Help!!!!

Options
It has been 21 days and I have lost 1 lb...and that was in the beginning. I've only gone over my calories twice, and not by much. I exercise, eat lots and fruit and veggies...what am I doing wrong here?!?! My hubby thinks I should up my calorie intake (currently set at 1200/day). I need help!!!!! I'm getting a bit discouraged :(((

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed. But I would try it if everything else is in check. You can't go anywhere but up, so it can't hurt to try.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Did MFP give you the 1200 calories or did you? Without seeing your diary, no one can give you food tips. Are you drinking enough water?
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? If not do and check them monthly. Do not let the scale be the only judge that you are losing weight. You will probably find you are losing inches. It is hard to see how you are eating with seeing your diary.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to help if we could see your diary but here are my suggestions.
    1 Make sure you eat all your exercise calories
    2 Drink plenty of water
    3 Weigh all your food to make sure you are entering everything correctly

If you are already doing all these things, try upping your calorie intake, and see where that gets you!
    Good luck
    Lindsay
  • Tishchap
    Tishchap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough we were discussing this at the wknd, my friend has lost lots at the beginning, but can't seem to lose any more even though she is eating under target, excersising more, drinking plenty of water, I thought that her daily intake (as we could view hers) wasn't enough? maybe thats it, or have you considered telling the Dr. and having some blood tests done?
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try staggering your calories...for example if 1300 is your goal each day, do 1320 one day, 1350 another, then 1310 another and so on. This happened to me as well and when I increased my calorie intake and staggered them it boosted my metabolism and I started moving the scale. Your body is smart and acclimates pretty quickly. You have to differ your exercise routines daily and this applies to food as well...vary your calorie intake daily. Drink tons of water and make sure you eat 5xs a day (3 meals and 2 snacks).

You'll get there. I found weight loss to be the biggest emotional roller coaster. Stay strong!
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options

Or, if you are already doing this, make sure you do NOT eat them.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I would try to up your daily calories. Start with 1350 for a few weeks and see what it does.
  • gleeky
    gleeky Posts: 22
    Options

Or, if you are already doing this, make sure you do NOT eat them.

Eh what do you mean? How are we supposed to know what to do? I have tried both ways and nothing I am getting so disheartened by this. I don't know what to do
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Did MFP give you the 1200 calories or did you? Without seeing your diary, no one can give you food tips. Are you drinking enough water?

The 1200 was set by MFP...

Sorry! I've changed my setting! My diary is open now :)
  • shiransom
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? If not do and check them monthly. Do not let the scale be the only judge that you are losing weight. You will probably find you are losing inches. It is hard to see how you are eating with seeing your diary.

I have taken my measurements once, but since it's only been 3 weeks I have not taken them again.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I have taken my measurements once, but since it's only been 3 weeks I have not taken them again.

take them again. I bet you will have lost inches.
  • shiransom
    Options

take them again. I bet you will have lost inches.

Nope, still the same :((
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems heavy in processed foods. These can contain a lot of hidden sugar and sodium. I recommend you drop fiber and iron from your diary for a while and instead track sugar and sodium. Try adding more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet. These are filling and contain good nutrition.

Also, how are you determining your exercise calories? If you're using a heart rate monitor, those are pretty accurate. However, both the readouts on the cardio machines and the database here on this site are often too high for many people. This could be causing you to be burning less calories than you think you are, hence over-eating. Just a thought.

Try cleaning up your diet a bit, keep up the water intake, and give it another 3 weeks at least. Good luck!
  • kate1song
    kate1song Posts: 3
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've been on this site for 3 weeks, lost 3 pounds got on the scale today, and had gained them back. I felt really disheartened. I've decided to continue trying to clean up my diet, (I eat a lot of empty carbs) and make sure I eat plenty of fresh fruits and veges.

I feel better when I do. Whether or not I lose over the next 3 weeks, at least I am taking care of my body.
    I think that, is what's most important.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary...try eliminating coffee altogether...it makes you retain fluids. Try herbal teas instead...green, earl grey, etc.. Also try high fiber oat bran instead of oatmeal. I eat 1/3 cup (when you add the water is a pretty big bowl) oat bran with cinnamon and 1/2 a banana in the oat bran for sweetness. Also the half n half is another one you want to get rid of because it's cream and milk. Not something you want to be eating if you are trying to lose weight.

Oat bran is great because it's low in calories (80) and it keeps you full and emptied (if you know what I mean). It's worked for me. In my weight loss adventure, I've lost 25 lbs and at my goal weight (started @ 131 lbs and currently 106 lbs). You can friend me if you like and I would be happy to share some of my tricks with you. I read and research a lot! I know how hard and frustrating it is to lose weight and hit a plateau.

Good luck!
  • shiransom
    Options
    Your diet seems heavy in processed foods. These can contain a lot of hidden sugar and sodium. I recommend you drop fiber and iron from your diary for a while and instead track sugar and sodium. Try adding more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet. These are filling and contain good nutrition.

Also, how are you determining your exercise calories? If you're using a heart rate monitor, those are pretty accurate. However, both the readouts on the cardio machines and the database here on this site are often too high for many people. This could be causing you to be burning less calories than you think you are, hence over-eating. Just a thought.

Try cleaning up your diet a bit, keep up the water intake, and give it another 3 weeks at least. Good luck!

I actually started making the transition to organic and gluten free foods (soooo hard to find), but you're right. I have eaten out a lot more over the past week than normal (pizza, mexican) and I cheated yesterday with a slice of cheesecake. Oh, and my kids are visiting their dad so I went out Saturday night :)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    If your exercise diary is accurate(using a heart rate monitor) you are not eating enough. You would have to be something like 5'2" 100 pounds and using a 1000 calorie/day deficit for 1200/day to even be close to making any sense.

Also agree your food choices need cleaned up considerably. Less carbs/better carbs, more natural/fresh foods vs boxed/processed and more protein and fat.
  • shiransom
    Options
    Just looked at your diary...try eliminating coffee altogether...it makes you retain fluids. Try herbal teas instead...green, earl grey, etc.. Also try high fiber oat bran instead of oatmeal. I eat 1/3 cup (when you add the water is a pretty big bowl) oat bran with cinnamon and 1/2 a banana in the oat bran for sweetness. Also the half n half is another one you want to get rid of because it's cream and milk. Not something you want to be eating if you are trying to lose weight.

Oat bran is great because it's low in calories (80) and it keeps you full and emptied (if you know what I mean). It's worked for me. In my weight loss adventure, I've lost 25 lbs and at my goal weight (started @ 131 lbs and currently 106 lbs). You can friend me if you like and I would be happy to share some of my tricks with you. I read and research a lot! I know how hard and frustrating it is to lose weight and hit a plateau.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'll try that!
  • shiransom
    Options
    Just looked at my diary...if you look at my diary, PLEASE ignore Friday-Sunday. They are completely abnormal for me and I'm actually Kind of embarrassed looking at them. It's been a party this weekend, lol. Monday-Thursday of last week would be my norm. Thanks so much for all the advice!!!