Jelly/Jam/Preserves Uses?

Options
guinevere96
guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
So my mother in law owns a homemade preserves business and she is teaching me how to make them (im a jelly apprentice apparently) but my main issue is that she gives me SO MUCH JELLY. I literally have 5 unopened jars of various jams at home and I can only eat pb2 and jelly toast so many mornings in a row. What are some other cool ways of using these? They are super yummy <3

Replies

• TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    In plain greek yogurt maybe?
  • guinevere96
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »

Hmmmmm that sound yummy, I didn't think about that! I rarely eat plain greek yogurt but that might do the trick.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Add to salad dressing? Or stir fry sauces? Or use to glaze chicken or pork?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I made a TON of jelly about 4 years ago and am still eating it! Here is a great list of stuff to do with jelly or jam

http://www.thekitchn.com/32-sweet-and-savory-things-to-do-when-you-have-too-much-jam-193374
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not sure what flavor you are making but I've been hooked on a sandwich lately that uses fig jam in place of mayo etc. I make a half sandwich with either soup or salad for dinner with: multi grain bread, 1 Tbs fig jam, brie, smoked turkey, baby spinach, sprouts, tomato. Sometimes I add avocado if I have on hand. Super yummy.
  • guinevere96
    Options
    I have the same problem! I made a TON of jelly about 4 years ago and am still eating it! Here is a great list of stuff to do with jelly or jam

http://www.thekitchn.com/32-sweet-and-savory-things-to-do-when-you-have-too-much-jam-193374

thank you!! That's the great thing about jam at least, it lasts!
  • guinevere96
    Options
    clbortiz wrote: »
    Not sure what flavor you are making but I've been hooked on a sandwich lately that uses fig jam in place of mayo etc. I make a half sandwich with either soup or salad for dinner with: multi grain bread, 1 Tbs fig jam, brie, smoked turkey, baby spinach, sprouts, tomato. Sometimes I add avocado if I have on hand. Super yummy.

I have a lot of various flavors right now but I have an American Beautyberry one that tastes a lot like fig that might be a good idea for that :-D

My collect right now consists of Spicy Hawaiian (pineapple and habenaro), Rose Petal (literal rose petals but its mostly lemon essence), Blueberry, American beautyberry, and Rocky Point Mango (which is great on literally anything).
  • guinevere96
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    Add to salad dressing? Or stir fry sauces? Or use to glaze chicken or pork?

stir fry sauce might be a good idea! I don't eat meat anymore to use as a glaze but maybe a good glaze for some sort of veggie... yum
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I made a huge batch of marionberry jam this year. Hubby eats it for PBJ sandwiches, but I like it best as a topping for oatmeal or topping on plain yogurt (no need for any extra sweetener). I also make a berry vinaigrette salad dressing that's quite delicious!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You can use it to glaze a pear, apple or peach tart before you cook it. :)http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/quick-easy-and-yummy-apple-tart/
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »

This is what I do, almost every day. Peach is my favorite. I prefer this over flavored greek yogurts, because I can adjust the sweetness to taste. Fage full fat yogurt ftw.

Jam is also great between cake layers ^^
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I have a lot of various flavors right now but I have an American Beautyberry one that tastes a lot like fig that might be a good idea for that :-D

My collect right now consists of Spicy Hawaiian (pineapple and habenaro), Rose Petal (literal rose petals but its mostly lemon essence), Blueberry, American beautyberry, and Rocky Point Mango (which is great on literally anything).

Spicy Hawaiian would be good as a glaze on chicken or pork. Heat it up to melt it down and brush on meat. The rose petal would be good for this as well. Serve with couscous, rice (or jeweled rice). The mango would be awesome with shrimp or scallops.

The berried flavors would be good as sauces with roasted pork - you can find all sorts of glaze recipes online.

Use most any of as a condiment with cheeses - like brie or goat cheese. Even a stilton would be nice with the sweetness of a jelly.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I use them to top my semolina porridge. Amazing!
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Jams and jellies are great as any of the following: accompaniment to cheese, as a glaze for meats, fish, or veggies (sometimes I add herbs, salt and pepper, and a little sriracha to make it more savory), mixed with plain yogurt, mixed in with oatmeal, with peanut or other nut butters, on english muffins, as a mix-in for muffins...

I'm a major canner, so I am often figuring out what to do with excess jars! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We made some last year and it took us forever to go through it. Love jelly but it just REALLY doesn't fill me up for the calories, I think the only time I had some was on crepes...
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

Use most any of as a condiment with cheeses - like brie or goat cheese. Even a stilton would be nice with the sweetness of a jelly.

This reminded me of something I've made a few times that was really yummy!

Take a sheet of thawed puff pastry, spread with jam and wrap around a wheel of brie. Place on baking sheet folded side down. Brush with beaten egg wash or egg white. Bake in the oven until pastry is light brown. This is a great quick appetizer for company or to take to parties. If you want to get fancy, you can cut shapes (leaves or whatnot) out of the corners of the puff pastry and glue on top with the egg wash. Really pretty!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I use it in porridge and in jam jalousie :)
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you've got a crockpot -

RUSSIAN APRICOT CHICKEN

chicken breasts
    1/2 bottle Russian or Catalina dressing
    1.5 cups (roughly a jam jar) apricot preserves
    1 packet onion soup mix
    4 oz each dried figs and apricots, diced

Toss in the chicken, mix everything else, pour on top of it, cook on Low for 7 hours. Enjoy. :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I use it to sweeten up smoothies since I don't really like banana flavor.