I'm trying to stay away from refined sugars

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm trying to stay away from refined sugars.
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks and or if they eat as snacks!

Thanks!

If you're really worried about it, just don't eat things with added sugar...read labels. Eat more whole foods as snacks...it's pretty simple. I don't eat much in the way of added/refined sugar...it's not that hard...you just have to eat more whole foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    kendahlj wrote: »
    Awesome goal...I wish you the best! Go cold turkey for 3-4 days and the sugar cravings will go away.

What about the sugar in cold turkey?

Eww, who puts refined sugar in/on turkey? :sick:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    No tips -- if you don't want to eat foods with refined sugars, just don't eat them.

^This...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm trying to stay away from refined sugars.
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks and or if they eat as snacks!

Thanks!

If you're really worried about it, just don't eat things with added sugar...read labels. Eat more whole foods as snacks...it's pretty simple. I don't eat much in the way of added/refined sugar...it's not that hard...you just have to eat more whole foods.
    ^^^and this...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    meganlc0 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    meganlc0 wrote: »
    Your body can tell the difference between processed foods with sugar added and whole foods that contain naturally occurring sugars. I don't know why anyone would make it seem like cutting out refined sugar is silly. If you cut out refined sugar you cut out a whole lot of unhealthy crud by default.

With that said, I love PB stuffed medjool dates for a sweet snack, so good.

Actually, it can't. It breaks both down into their components. The sugar component in both sources is sucrose, glucose and fructose (sucrose is one glucose molecule combined with one fructose molecule and breaks apart into the other two within a matter of seconds after entering the intestine).
    Your body doesn't say, "oh this is natural sugar. That's good." or "uh oh, this is added sugar. That's bad."
    Your body says "Oh hey! Glucose!"

I didn't say it could tell the difference between the sugars themselves. I was just pointing out that processed foods that have added sugars in them are fundamentally different than whole foods that do not. In turn avoiding refined sugars IS very beneficial.

I also was really not trying to highjack this thread! Sorry!

I'm all for cutting out added sugar (I don't use the term refined sugar, because that has nothing to do with anything) if one wants. I cut it out for a while, didn't find it beneficial to me (suagr isn't especially my weakness), but I limit it by making sure my diet has various other things that leave not that much room for sweets. I also don't tend to buy products that contain it. I've never craved it, not even when I cut it out, so I find the assumption in some of the posts above that everyone will kind of odd.

But anyway, remember that although there's of course a difference between a cookie and a piece of fruit (mostly fat, fiber, and micros, not sugar), added sugar is in other things too. I am not sure why a rhubarb sauce with a bit of added sugar would be less beneficial than a no sugar added apple sauce. Similarly, if one likes oatmeal with a bit of sugar, what's the harm? My main food with added sugar (beyond things that obviously have sugar, like ice cream) is smoked salmon, which is typically made with a bit of sugar. Are you really claiming that makes smoked salmon unhealthy?

Again, not saying that cutting out added sugar is a bad thing to do if one wants to, but taking issue with the blanket assertion that foods with added sugar are fundamentally different than those with intrinsic sugar.

Bravo!

• J72FIT
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Any specific reason?

Refined sugar isn't particularly good for you...

I'm all for moderation, but I don't understand why people make a big deal of people wanting to eat more whole foods. It's as if you're a righteous moron if you don't fit oreos and ice cream into your diet every day.

It's neither good or bad, it just is.

You can not make that claim without context of overall diet and dose...
  • Saskwatch99
    Saskwatch99 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries and grapes are great, sweet snacks.
  • steveabode
    steveabode Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fruits rule!
    Agave nectar? Awesome low GL load so good for Type 2 Diabetics (as my mum can testify to) and it comes in several varieties, some good for baking, others good for coffee, or just plain pour in your mouth when you want a sweet fix!! There are some agave/carob hybrids but I don't really like those.

I'm fortunate enough to have access to some unbelievably good Greek and Cypriot olive oils here in the UK and so just use that for all my flavour fixes! Some are actually borderline sweet, (Ripley's) believe it or not!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Any specific reason?

I'm all for moderation, but I don't understand why people make a big deal of people wanting to eat more whole foods. It's as if you're a righteous moron if you don't fit oreos and ice cream into your diet every day.

Yeah. I mean, more power to them and I wish I had that willpower, lol. The only reason I don't recommend doing that, personally, is that it just doesn't seem like a sustainable practice. I can only speak from experience, but when I cut things out even though I actually want them, I always end up binging.

But sometimes I'm just not in the mood for sugar and I have no problem passing on chocolate, cake, and cookies. If that's what people feel, it's great! Nobody's saying that you have to eat the sugary stuff...
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for wanting to improve your food choices!

Since you asked for ideas, mine would be to focus on reducing added sugar, not simply refined sugar. It wouldn't make much sense to replace white sugar with panela which is less refined and sometimes touted as "better". It's still sugar.

Years ago, I thought using honey was a big improvement over table sugar. But it's still a form of sugar.

Read labels, find a sugar substitute that you like (my favorite is stevia), don't worry about sugar in fruit, and don't feel guilty for having a treat once in a while! :)

PS: Here's a link about honey vs high fructose corn syrup, in case you have concerns about it.

http://www.thekitchn.com/honey-no-healthier-than-corn-syrup-says-honey-funded-study-223752
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Any specific reason?

Is anyone criticizing her for wanting to eat more whole foods?

It's just a lot more beneficial for the vast majority of people to learn how to handle oreos or ice cream as part of an overall diet than to demonize a food substance for no reason. Especially when most suggestions are still just sugar anyways.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why are there always people hijacking a thread with their "superior" knowledge, instead of answering the OP's question.....
    OP, cheese, boiled egg, a few almonds, fruit cups in water instead of in syrup, a square of dark chocolate instead of a milk chocolate bar, and so on.....
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Sweets may not be as tasty after a couple of sugarless weeks. It may be a good way to moderation.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Sweets may not be as tasty after a couple of sugarless weeks. It may be a good way to moderation.

I agree. My palette changes when I reduce my sugar as much as possible. Helps you break old habits too. And when hormones (stress or estrogen) have me craving sugary treats, I try having a little and then eating something high in protein right after, even if I'm out of calories.

• jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest that you look into moderation. In my personal experience the habits of restricting what you eat or what you allow yourself to eat for what ever reason you validate in your head often leads to unhealthy eating habits and the high potential to develop an eating disorder her. Some anecdotal evidence is that the more we restrict and blame it there is an increased correlation in the chances that you will binge on those foods at some point down the road. This mentality usually stems from the idea that there are good and bad foods.

there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.” AKA IIFYM

Hope this helps:))
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Snacks without refined sugar?

hummus and veggies
    natural peanut butter and veggies
    jerky
    string cheese
    fruit
    nuts
    sunflower seeds
    popcorn
    tortilla chips and salsa, bean dip or guacamole
    boiled or deviled eggs

Of course, half of those are at least as high if not higher in calories than anything sugary, making the only sensible non-medical reason to try and cut sugar out of your diet moot.
  • goldthistime
    Options

hummus and veggies
    jerky
    string cheese
    fruit
    nuts
    sunflower seeds
    popcorn
    boiled or deviled eggs

Of course, half of those are at least as high if not higher in calories than anything sugary, making the only sensible non-medical reason to try and cut sugar out of your diet moot.

But they have lasting satiety vs a sugary treat equivalent in calories.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

hummus and veggies
    jerky
    string cheese
    fruit
    nuts
    sunflower seeds
    popcorn
    boiled or deviled eggs

But if it's not what you really want, where's the satisfaction? Hunger and a hankering for a donut aren't the same thing, so why would you treat them the same way if you don't have to?
  • goldthistime
    Options

hummus and veggies
    jerky
    string cheese
    fruit
    nuts
    sunflower seeds
    popcorn
    boiled or deviled eggs

But if it's not what you really want, where's the satisfaction? Hunger and a hankering for a donut aren't the same thing, so why would you treat them the same way if you don't have to?

I agree that there are times when satisfaction matters more than satiety, but for me at least, when I'm trying to maintain a calorie deficit, feeling full is my first priority.