Traveling

Options
I travel a lot for work and it's insanely hard to keep the muscle gaining! Do any of you have suggestions?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So the options i can come up with is, 1. Ensure the hotel has a gym (if you have a choice) or 2. Bring resistance bands and modify the program to use those.
  • zweiser0
    zweiser0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The problem is that my work hours are really long and don't really have the chance to workout when I'm away. I'm trying to find a way to keep my muscle gain without losing weight!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    zweiser0 wrote: »
    The problem is that my work hours are really long and don't really have the chance to workout when I'm away. I'm trying to find a way to keep my muscle gain without losing weight!

Keep protein high (like 1g per lb of weight), calories at maintenance levels and if possible do any kind of a workout, even if its jusy body weight. All you need to do is maintain some level lf progressive resistance to maintain muscle. You will lose a lot of strength but that is easy to get back.
  • zweiser0
    Options
    I travel to San Francisco a lot (I live in San Diego). Any ideas how to gain bulking?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Muscle gaining comes from progression. Can't have it both ways.

You already stated long hours and no time to workout? So a gym in a hotel is out from what I read.

You can do what @psulemon stated, keep the protein high, eat at maintenance, do some sort of workout like bodyweight program.. when you return home, keep up your normal routine including the protein intake.
  • zweiser0
    Options
    Thank you. It is always a struggle not to break, because Everytime I come back from being away for work I get on the scale and see that in those days I've lost what I gained the days before the trip. T
    his week I tried what you guys suggested and and I haven't lost as much as usual! So thank you:) And MFP is extremely helpful!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    zweiser0 wrote: »
    Thank you. It is always a struggle not to break, because Everytime I come back from being away for work I get on the scale and see that in those days I've lost what I gained the days before the trip. T
    his week I tried what you guys suggested and and I haven't lost as much as usual! So thank you:) And MFP is extremely helpful!

I get it. Its a long term thing though. Just keep pushing yourself.
  • lmass1230
    lmass1230 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go on trips 24/7. I usually pick 3 days out of the week and do push-ups and decline and incline push-ups. I do these in like sets of however many I can do till I can't get up. Then for legs I do squats, and box jumps on like a picnic table or something. I do like 3 sets of 10 box jumps and same with just body weight squats.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    When traveling for work (longish hours too) usually about 8-14 times a year, I usually find a place close by the hotel I'm staying that's 24 hours. I've been known to hit the gym at 10pm and turn around and be back at work at 6am.
    It can be done, just takes some planning.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    There are programs like you are your own gym that has a body weight bulking program. It may be of interest