Tightening skin

Options
I've recently lost some weight (1st 3lbs) and have another stone to go. Exercise wise I am spinning twice a week and body pump twice a week. I've noticed some of my skin is looking and feeling slightly loose, is heavy lifting the only way to combat this? Or would body resistance work?

I don't have weights at home and it's impossible to get near the free weights at my gym (plus I'm a bit intimidated cos although I know how to do a variety of lifts the whole area is dominated by extremely well built men and women).

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Skin tightens on its own. It just takes some time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can't exercise skin.
    Having more muscle may give you a better frame to hang your skin on though.

Key point is that you have recently lost weight - it takes time for skin to recover, how well it recovers is related to age, genetics and how big you got.

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    From what I understand, I'm afraid that you can't tone up skin, just the muscles underneath. Over time after you have reached your goal weight your skin may bounce back. It depends on lots of things, such has how long you were overweight, how much you need to lose, age.

Personally, I've lost almost 120lbs and have extra skin on my stomach, thighs and arms. I have noticed that my stomach is slowly getting less droopy. I don't know if my arms and legs will ever get back. I dream of having a body lift, but that's not in the cards for me financially.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    But ou have as much right as anyone to use the weights at the gym. Can you hire a personal trainer for a session or 2 -so you have someone at the weights with you. Can you speak to the gym mangement about getting a tu
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Skin will either tighten up on it's own or it wont. Give it some time tho.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. I wasn't massively overweight so here's hoping it bounces back a bit.

I would like to lift heavy but that part of the gym feels like a no go zone. Scaredy cat! The idea of having a PT or someone go through it with me is a good one.