glycogen stores

I started maintenance last week with no change on the scale then on Saturday I had a fun day of cookies and blueberry muffins that had me slightly over calories for the day and up 5lbs (as it does). The next two days also involved cookies and blueberry muffins but I was at/under goal and the 2lbs of food waste and salt retention are gone leaving me with my normal 3lbs from replenishing my glycogen stores.

I'm now near the top of my weight range and I don't want to hang out here long term BUT I feel so good. Really, really great! While losing weight I went right back into deficit the day after and I didn't realize the almost euphoric feeling and energy that comes with it. Now the thought of going back to the depleted glycogen is painful.

So I'm wondering is it possible to slowly lose pounds without depleting my glycogen level?

Replies

• mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    High carb, low fat, plant based. Since it is mostly carbs, your glycogen levels will stay pretty full even when you are in a slight deficit. I love eating this way, and just like you, feel great with my glycogen levels full. Also, you will be getting a lot of nutrient dense foods filled with fiber and water if you are eating mostly plants and my body thrives on that. For me, this way of eating makes me feel the best. I have tried the keto and low carb diets and never felt as energized as I do on HCLF. Good luck in finding what works for you.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    edited July 2016
    As a fellow longtime low-carber, here is my experience.

Replenishing glycogen will add a few pounds in your muscles and liver. Nothing too extreme, but plan for it. It's not infinite.

I do not like the way I feel when I'm in the state of being a primary carb-burner instead of a fat-burner. Ketosis gives me focus, stabilizes my moods, and staves off hunger. I've even adapted to be repulsed by sugary/starchy foods and drinks. So I tend to stay at a fairly low level of carb intake as a way of life, just out of (good) habit.

That said, since you're in maintenance, you should be able to get away with a wide range of carb intake, as long as you're not going into such carb overload that you get sugar crashes and it causes you to pig out on calories. Moderation is key. Sometimes I'll eat rice or pasta or a potato or whatever. It doesn't kill me.

Yes, you can slowly lose weight while having carb-burner glycogen levels, same as every "regular" dieter on MFP. It's not as fast as ketosis but of course you can. Just don't pig out.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for answering. I've never been low carb for the sake of being low carb and I even removed it from my tracking. I track protein, fiber and fat for satiety. I also track salt and sugar because then I could predict what I will weigh the next day and that is fun.

But with my goal to lose .8-1.23 lbs a week and my small size I just couldn't afford the calories for sugar/flour/rice in an average week. I still ate plenty of corn and sweet potatoes and all other vegetables and fruit because I love them (and the fiber).

It's good to know I can keep that up, add rice, pasta, and a little sugar back, be a slight deficit, and hopefully keep feeling this way. Because it is AWESOME!

edit for clarity.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    My mistake. I have never heard someone talk about glycogen on MFP unless they were controlling carbs, so I guess I just assumed. Usually people who run on carbs have a big old glycogen store in their bodies, and they just deal with it, because they can still lose weight when they create a calorie deficit.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    I don't think your glycogen was ever depleted - looking at your diary you eat a normal amount of carbs really. This is just something that it thrown around a lot but it doesn't really happen unless you severely restrict carbs.
    I think what you are feeling is just your body having enough energy again after a deficit for a good amount of time. If you decide to lose more weight you will have to go into a deficit again - no way around it but you can make it super small so maybe you will feel it less. Or if you feel really good you can just stay at the weight your now and enjoy the energy/use it to work out more to change your body that way.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    I don't think your glycogen was ever depleted - looking at your diary you eat a normal amount of carbs really. This is just something that it thrown around a lot but it doesn't really happen unless you severely restrict carbs.
    I think what you are feeling is just your body having enough energy again after a deficit for a good amount of time. If you decide to lose more weight you will have to go into a deficit again - no way around it but you can make it super small so maybe you will feel it less. Or if you feel really good you can just stay at the weight your now and enjoy the energy/use it to work out more to change your body that way.

What do you consider normal carbs and what do you consider low carbs?

OP does not track carbs on her diary.
  • TangledThread
    edited July 2016
    @sijomial, I'm going to do the mixture of maintenance days, slight deficit, days and large deficit days. That will work with my natural way of eating and I'm excited to make it a more planned event.

So far it's day 8 of maintenance and I'm holding steady at 3lbs above goal. The last two days I've been at a slight deficit. Today I'll do a large deficit and tomorrow I'll eat at maintenance.

@kirstenb13,thank you for answering. I went back to my last 90 day report and I averaged 189 carbs a day with a mix of higher (254) and lower (112) days to get that number. I have no idea if that is low carb but I would guess not since I wasn't trying.

Whether it's glycogen or not (everything I've read not on MFP says it's glycogen too) it's whatever that binds up water and caused my first loss on day 10 of 4lbs over night. Also, every time in deficit (3-4 times I can remember) I had a lovely lovely day of ice cream and white rice I would gain and hold 3lbs for 10 days and lose it overnight along with the pound I lost during those days. That's what I am talking about. As a comparison, sodium or high volume meals and also alcohol would raise me 2-3lbs for 2-4 days.

I still feel FANTASTIC and bursting with energy! So good the 3lbs doesn't matter. I would like them gone but not at the expense of the lethargy I was starting to feel at the end.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2016
    How would you know if your glycogen stores have been depleted? Were you feeling hypoglycemic?If you are eating adequate carbs (which includes fruits, vegetables) this will replenish glycogen stores daily.

As long as liver/pancreas are healthy and you aren't totally avoiding all types of carbs then I don't think it is possible to deplete glycogen stores.

You were probably under eating, and the increase of calories gave you energy. Or you were just feeling good from being able to indulge in some snacks.
  • TangledThread
    edited July 2016
    It whooshed off overnight after holding onto it for 7 days. I plan to have ice cream tomorrow... for science.

edit to add: I'm on day 3 of the calorie cycling so just finished a small and large deficit days.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited July 2016
    Nice my post keeps disappearing...
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Glycogen is not in your control. So you can focus on managing your gross weight.